New Direction for Ferrari | FerrariChat

New Direction for Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Coincid, Jul 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    " Ferrari announced some midterm targets this year pledging to double core earnings and churn out hybrids and an SUV"- Autocar

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    If they release an SUV, that'll be the end of the Ferrari link for me.

nicholasn, RayJohns and docf like this.
  4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  5. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Ferrari is a public traded company that needs positive cash flows to compete with other manufacturers. Without a high volume cash cow, it will be challenging for them to fund their R&D fully and as a result, their product not might be competitive in terms of technology, performance and reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Why? Porsche released an suv and their cars are better than ever.

SUV’s like them or not sell. More money in Ferrari’s pocket for more r and d and better cars in the end.

Bring on the suv I don’t care.

anunakki, G. Pepper, paulchua and 9 others like this.
  7. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Don't think Ferrari has been struggling for R&D money so far without a SUV. The bomb of the Lamborghini and Bentley SUVs should be a clear indicator of consumer demand for such vehicles.

Having a SUV that sells for $40K-140K (Porsche, overwhelmingly on the lower side) is entirely different than one that starts at $200K+, and we all know it will come with no options.

davidoloan and JTSE30 like this.
  8. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Were you one of the people that said if Ferrari releases a AWD car you were done? :rolleyes:
    I would call those people radicals... Just like ISIS and the Taliban. I don't care for the California or the Portofino but if it increases their marketability and profits so they can pour more cash into the development of the mid engine cars and the front engine V12's, I am all for it. Owning a Ferrari nowadays no longer makes you an elitist. Just about any middle class guy can go out an finance one...

paulchua, F355 Fan 82 and timjen88 like this.
  9. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM

What's the issue with Ferrari making an SUV? Did such a thing stop Porsche from making great sports cars when they brought out the Cayenne?

No one says any of us has to buy the damn thing if we don't want to. Wait . . . several people have said that placing an order for a 488 Pista required buying a GTC4 Lusso . . . . never mind.

randkin, G. Pepper, LARRYH and 4 others like this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There is always the secondary market that you can buy any car. You will pay a premium but far less than having to buy a lusso to get a Pista.

LARRYH likes this.
  11. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    SUV just defies the brand image. If a "middle class" person goes out and finances a new Ferrari, they won't be middle class for long. Down low they go, fast!

12. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Buying a Lusso to get a Pista as a "requirement" just shows what a dealer thinks of that customer. So much "loyalty". Maybe the Lusso is being discontinued, hence the SUV?

All starting to make sense now.

LARRYH likes this.
  13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not really ownership IMO. I think perhaps slapping down $250k to $500k or more for a car is still a bit over the traditional middle class definition (crazy enthusiasts excluded!).

wrs and Viperjoe like this.
  14. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I agree with that statement. I just find a lot of owners that I have met, think that owning a Ferrari makes them special. I guess in my area I think otherwise but maybe that is because I see a lot of them and bought my first one very inexpensive at the young age of 30.

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’d buy one. Happy others will exit brand and leave more great cars for us enthusiasts.

timjen88 and Chadly like this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s like people refusing to go to McDonald’s cause they introduced the McRib. Come on people!! The McRib was and remains one of the 7 wonders of the world! A rib sandwich with no bones. What could go wrong!

paulchua, timjen88 and tifoso2728 like this.
  17. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    The FF is already an SUV in drag. Come on, get out of the closet already!!

Twosherpaz, SoCal to az and Shadowfax like this.
  18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    In today’s market, the SUV is the market leader. So I see why Ferrari would be interested from a business standpoint. After all Ferrari has a tradition of selling customer cars to fund the race team.

When you compare the station wagon segment to the SUV segment, no contest. Choosing to make the FF/ Lusso shooting break was truly a very risky bet.

There is much greater demand for an SUV than for a station wagon.

19. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hmmm.....I for one love my Lusso but would not have bought an SUV.....wanted specifically a GT car with 4 seats.....I think that may hold true for many....

20. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    You were not forced to buy a Lusso, like some are being made to do for a Pista. Simply letting others know that it's not a mandate, but a dealer game being played.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    As you proSUV people rightly note, Ferrari will indeed become like most other car manufacturers.
    The dedicated elites will be Pagani, Koenigsgeggereessssinator, McLaren :eek:.
    Ferrari doing the corporate follow the money thing..you'll see 'em at the malls shopping.

If they want more profit make a folding hardtop 812, charge $600k; and a stripped 6-speed 3-pedal Dino with a V6 no options but color....they'd sell everyone they made and be quite financially viable...and retain their image.

Porsche make great sports cars like their GT series... it their "exoticness" has evaporated (not just because of SUV).

randkin and RamsHmb like this.
  22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Does anyone think less of Lamborghini because of the Urus? Also, keep in mind that IF Ferrari builds an SUV, it won't be a traditional one; I expect something like a higher-riding Lusso.

Regarding a cheaper, manual Ferrari V6, that's not the firm's territory. It needs to have the performance numbers to back up the Ferrari name. Not to mention that last time a manual was offered, it sold in a single digit number...

MalibuGuy likes this.
  23. speedbird1000

speedbird1000 Rookie

Jun 29, 2008
    Europe
    Bring out a transverse mounted 3 litre v 12 in a Dino like body. Make the stroke a bit shorter than the 6.3 l. Heaven

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

raines likes this.
  24. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I think many husbands would like an suv, they buy one for wifey and get a hall pass for a 488

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is a very good strategy. Build more limited edition versions of their cars. They will sell like crazy and keep the exclusivity.

However- I’m not opposed to an suv st all. Doubt I’d actually buy one but if that’s the direction they go, no skin off my back. If I don’t like it, I just won’t buy it.

boobernackle likes this.