New F-cars & park sensors | FerrariChat

New F-cars & park sensors

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jjmalez, Mar 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Hello,

I'm amazed that Ferrari has optioned so many of their cars with front & rear park sensors. I know the 612 is a tad bit large, but c'mon... Who needs park sensors on a Ferrari? A Buick? Fine. But it's not like your gonna parallel park your Scuderia in Downtown USA?

I could be mistaken...

Joe

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You are mistaken. I have them on front and rear of my F430 and it does come in handy in all sorts of situations... not to mention giving the keys to valets.

I have a very tight parking space and it helps me to park it easier and with confidence. Is that some kind of crime? Also, what's wrong with driving your car and parking it anywhere you want without asking someone for assistance? If I want to drive it in the city (which I do quite often), I'm not supposed to park it anywhere I can? I didn't buy a garage queen... I bought something I can drive when I want and where I want. You might as well ask why it has an alarm because nobody is going to drive it in a "dangerous" area.

Just one small accidental ding in either the front or rear could save me thousands. If the sensors can help prevent that or reduce my anxiety about it, I don't see the issue.

Lastly, Ferrari doesn't "option" the sensors (aka install them in the cars at their discretion)... the owners SELECT it when they order it --and pay extra for it. If owners didn't think it was necessary, Ferrari would remove it from their options list.

3. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I"ve had the same thoughts. Don't have them on my 599. But the more I drive it, the more I've come to understand it.The 599 is wide, you sit low and it has a long front end. If you drive it a lot and drive it everywhere it can be a bit of a challenge. I don't mind the occasional battle scar but it can get expensive. Believe it or not the more I drive it. The more I seem to be able to sense exactly where my hood ends and no scars to show for it! Def. have to stay sharp or bring out your check book. I live in the burbs. But if you live in the city and spend a lot of time downtown and don't like the drama its worth considering.

4. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I don't think I could drive the 599 without parking sensors, especially when going into extremely tight multi-storey car parks or driving in ridiculously small lanes where the car is actually wider than the lane. I think you are very much mistaken about what people use their Fcars for. The 599 is a daily driver for me and while I try to valet park it in safe areas as much as I can, this is not possible most of the time. Not everyone has superb driving skills, the parking sensors are there for those who are willing to admit they aren't fantastic drivers and aren't willing to risk damaging their cars.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I really like the parking sensors on the 612. I use them even in tight spaces like parking garages.

6. vunico

vunico Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2007
    southern florida
    i'd love them on the 575...can't see the front or the back of the car from the drivers seat