New Ferarri 575 Owner, Have A Few Questions | FerrariChat

New Ferarri 575 Owner, Have A Few Questions

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F355 Fan 82, Nov 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Im picking up my new ferrari 575 tomorrow and Im beyond thrilled, had lots of mercedes Sl AMG's over the years, an SLR too, but this is my first ferrari..... waited a long time for the right one and found a red/tan one just the way I wanted. I had a few questions before i picked it up.

1) I live in a condo and there a few sets of speed bumps when entering but I have a 430 that parks next to me and he has no issues so does the 575 have any issues with speedbumps? Does it have a lift system? Whats the best approach

2) The car just had its belts done right now after my purchase and the clutch was done 2500 miles ago. When would these things be due again. I will be using the car give or take 2000 miles/year, probably less.

3) The car will be at my vacation home, we go down there for 6 months at a time, is this a car I use everyday? I currently have another car im leasing but its lease is up in 2 months and I was planning on turning it in. We walk most places and everyday means still 50-60 miles a week tops. Can a 15 year old car startup and run like that on a normal basis.

4)Any other things I should look for with the 575 before I pick it up tomorrow? The dash has no shrinkage, everything is original, its a beautiful car, just curious if any small things I should ask/look for.

Anything else any 575 owners care to share would be much appreciated. For me, I've always wanted this car for years, just never found a red/tan one I wanted. After owning the SLR and the nightmare it was to service it, Im hoping the 575 is a better car.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    No speed lift but it should be better than the 430

Belts five years clutch whenever tho you don't say if F1 or manual which may affect this

Figure out how to keep the battery charged when not there - either trickle charger or turn it off - if you only do short journeys it may not last two weeks without use

Its your first F1 so learn how to drive it - lots of threads so look them up

Be prepared for some early foibles - it may be simpler than the SLR but it is Italian !

Enjoy

3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    It is an F1, do you have any links by any chance on the "proper" way to drive them. The SLR was what I imagine owning a private jet was like for ownership, Im hoping i dont get any surprise bombs with the 575, it seemed like every little thing with the SLR was a disaster

4. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Hi there,

Congrats on the new car.

The most important answer to your questions has to do with the speed bumps question.

The Maranello/575M and 456/M cars have their front radiator in a pretty vulnerable position. It's a massive piece of equipment that hangs down to the lowest point in the front of the car, just at the rear edge of the bottom of the front bumper. Feel like going fast over a bridge? Think twice because maneuvering about any drastic elevation change, or any driving over roads not meant for fast driving which artificially create drastic elevation changes, can result in catastrophic damage to your radiator and hence to your wallet. At the speed humps, naturally approach on an angle and baby the car in all phases: (1) as you approach the hump, (2) as you ascend and travel the hump, (3) especially as you come down off the hump, and (4) Don't forget about the rear of the car! Let the rear come down slowly. The rear diffuser is very low.

The hell with the people behind you. If they are in a hurry, the hell with them. Let them pass, make them wait, or satisfy your road rage if you choose to confront.

Keep a sun shade under the glass at all times. Even if you are leaving the car for 5 minutes. It takes all of 30 seconds. Also, consider a solution to protect the rear shelf from sun damage while parked. Lastly, remember that sun damage occurs also while you are driving. Just because you are driving with the air conditioning on doesn't mean the radiant heat through the glass isn't doing the devil's work. for my 456M, I had custom made felt covers fabricated at a local automotive specialty shop that deals with reupholstering high quality classic cars. I had them make me a cover for both the front dashboard and the rear shelf so that the leather in these places wouldn't be damaged while I drove the car in the sun. Additionally, I had custom sun shades for the front windscreen and the rear glass made up; they mounted on the exterior of the car with 4 suction cups.

This is a car you could drive every day. The air conditioning is powerful enough to give you hypothermia, and the ride is quite comfortable. If the car has any tires besides Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or Continental ExtremeContact DW, I recommend changing to those tires if you want a comfortable ride, the best handling, and the best tire on the market.

Sticky interior pieces. If the interior trim pieces are original from the factory, they are either sticky now or will be sticky later. Avoid touching them excessively with your fingers, and consider hiring an experienced mechanic who has taken apart Ferrari interiors for the purpose of sending out trim pieces to be refinished. There are various refinishing folks who are well known here on FerrariChat.

Good luck!

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Ask John (Cribbj) how it's done...

He's a Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

F456M likes this.
  6. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Re Question 3 - yes, you can use it every day. I daily my 550...and that's 5 years older than your 575 and I enjoy every minute of it.

F456M and Bas like this.
  7. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    Dave rocks likes this.
  8. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    need pics of new car!!!

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Congratulations, OP.

Some very enlightening and wise answers here.

On the bottoming out - I have a 430 and a 575 also. The 430 is a bit more susceptible to scraping its front lip on humps, but the 575 needs care over sudden incline changes - I think it has a longer front overhang.

F456M likes this.
  10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That's cool. I have been thinking about getting a lift system installed myself. How is it mounted? Looks like it lays all the way to the ground when not lifted? I want mine to go from normal height to high, so I can drive through underground garages with great difference in certain levels of the building (the angle), french speed bumps etc. Image Unavailable, Please Login Had to repaint the front bumper twice because of this...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

My car's suspension was originally set to the racing height specification, so it would drag when going over nearly anything taller than a cockroach. I came up with the hydraulic lift system as a solution and it worked very well for the limited time I used it prior to the engine out work that I'm presently doing. It requires special springs and some other changes to the front coilover setup, so it's not for the faint of heart, unless you're a tinkerer/experimenter.

The 575M front end was redesigned and doesn't have nearly as many problems as the 550.

12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    another question, my car last had its battery replaced in 2013 at 13k miles its around 20k miles now, how long do these batteries typically last?

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It can last many many years as long as you always keep it fully charged.

14. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Also, when parking, I position my 550 about a foot shorter than the typical car.
    This has saved the front spoiler many times.

Most curbs and parking blocks are just tall enough to hit the front spoiler on a 550 where as almost every other car clears them with room to spare.

Because of the slope of the front hood, it will appear you are farther away from the danger as you are pulling in to the parking spot than you really are.

15. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean

16. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    So true, I've gotten used to backing in after 2 trips to the body shop for front splitter repairs...

F456M likes this.
  17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    We could install parking sensor in the front bumper and reverse camera in the rear end. Cheap insurance and great comfort!

18. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's the reason I installed parking cameras both behind the grill and in the rear license plate frame. I toggle a switch (the one that used to be the "dummy" switch) and the selected view is on my hard wired Garmin Nuvi mounted on the "A" pillar.

When the car is next restarted after parking the display returns to "map view"

19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I love Maranello Skunk Works stuff!

Thank-you again, Dave and John, for some great modifications to my 550 and F355 Challenge.

Barry

ps. Dave, I still have those rusty bolts securing my brake pedal spacer...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

:)

20. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave

21. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Barry, you're welcome, we have a great owners' community and it's appreciative owners like you and others that make developing new stuff fun and rewarding for us.