New Ferrari 458 Owner - Critical Questions | FerrariChat

New Ferrari 458 Owner - Critical Questions

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by vtknight, Jan 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    Hello everyone,

I thank-you all for your time and hard won experience in advance. I have been researching the 458 ever since I was fortunate enough to race one. It left a lasting impression that never left me. I have been fortunate to race - mostly modified cars for multiple US and Canadian Shops and have been very fortunate to own some nice rides over my time on this planet. Despite my research - I recognize I likely know next to nothing compared to those on this site when it comes to Ferrari's.
    Which is why I am glad this site exists - as I am about to pull the trigger tomorrow on a 2013 458.
    It has all but one of my must haves for options (list attached) - it doesn't have the reverse camera (which is not good) and front end lift which I have learned isn't that much of an issue on this car. Rosso red and tan interior with nero stitching.
    My understanding is that any 458 after 2012 is free of recalls? I do not think I will lower the car - but I am told it is an easy thing to do with the factory coil overs?
    From my research I understand that there is a way to find out brake wear on the car (a car log output)? What instructions would I give to the Dealership so they can provide it?

Any challenges or problems with the 2013's or 458's in general that you are aware of? Knocking wood as I type this but my research has found that these cars are quite solid (drivetrain) when compared to a 430 for example (no disrespect intended).

I appreciate all feedback and thank-you in advance!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. eurocg

eurocg Karting

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Full Name:
    C
    First. Congrats! 458 is awesome.

As for recalls, there is a new one that pertains to brakes. Haven’t got the letter that my car is affected, but Ferrari still working that out.

Have the rear brakes inspected for wear based on mileage. They are the first to go due to traction control keeping the rear under control.

As for other issues. I can’t think of any off the top of my head. I mean you have your typical issues. Dash leather. Sticky buttons. But she is a solid car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

vtknight likes this.
  3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Congrats on your future purchase. I have a 2013 458 with generally the same options. In reference to your questions:
    • I don't have a rear view camera either. It was one of my must have options, but the car checked too many of the other options so I decided to go for it. I added a wireless camera after (which is not perfect but adequate). Paired with the front and rear sensors, it does the job.
    • I don't have the front lift either, but its high enough where I don't have too many issues. My Huracan Spyder has a lift, and it definitely needs it. The 458 seems to clear what the Huracan needs a lift for.
    • I have had 2 recall campaigns completed for my 2013 458. Front lid lock and passenger side airbag. There is an outstanding campaign for brakes, but the parts are on backorder. The current campaign has to do with a hard brake pedal and lack of braking. Do a search on this site for the issue.
    • I lowered the car on the factory springs. Without the front lift, you can actual lower the front to an acceptable range. It's an easy mod and I would also suggest adding a valve controller (another easy mod).
    • In my years of ownership, only significant issue I had was an oil leak at the gearbox. O ring and one of the braided lines was leaking, ~$5k fix with labor and parts
    • I had an F430 previously. For me, 458 way better and I never looked back

vtknight likes this.
  4. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    #4 vtknight, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    First - you are awesome - thank-you for your response. Sticky buttons I had seen in my research - dash leather I did not...does it crack, tear, etc.? I will look into the brakes - the car has ~10K miles (17K KM) - so it is still fairly low mileage. The Dealership is well-known with a great reputation - which cost me a bit more - but I figure it is worth it.

5. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    Wow - this is a jackpot response - finding a near identical car. Thank-you! I may PM you about that wireless camera - that sounds like a fantastic idea. I had spoken with a few Huracan owners who had Ferrari's and they had similar feedback. I have been around many (lots of twin turbo Huracans I competed against) and they have an awesome sound as well - but I found the 458 tone to my liking more so. They were the quicker car in straight line compared to the 458 - and about a second slower to the 1/4 than the 991.2 Turbo S I came out of - but I have been changing in my tastes over the years - and the visceral sounds of these exotic cars have helped me appreciate a different experience. I find it is more of an event versus all out brain crushing speeds. I will check on the recalls - and see where this car is at. In terms of repairs - I have the opportunity to purchase a 10K warranty negotiated to under 5K. It states they use OEM Ferrari parts - so I think it will be worth getting? The lowering is something I MAY do if it is as high in the front as some have mentioned. Did it affect ride terribly and how much did you lower it? I apologize for my 430 comment - I was also researching that car and found some challenges there. Beautiful car though and manual (option) as well...

6. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Congrats on the 458. You will love it. I've lowered 2 of my 458s and 1 of my 488s on the stock coilovers. Dealer always did it. Just make sure you don't go too low - and that they do an alignment, which they will likely know to do. You will hear guys here say otherwise, but I never had a problem. And the looks are way improved over stock.

Lift, as you mentioned, not an issue. Didn't have it on any of my 458s or 488s, including the ones I lowered, and no issue. Had it on both my Pistas, used it a few times but only because I had it and wanted to be extra safe with all that extra carbon. Still don't think I needed it.

Rear camera - not a big deal. The camera is way low on the bumper and really kind of useless. I would not add anything aftermarket. Once shops start messing with wiring harnesses to power third party accessories, you never know what can happen down line. Not worth it.

Recalls - I let dealer deal with them, if there ever were any.

All my 4xx's and Pistas were trouble free. Unless that's a Ferrari warranty, I would not buy it. And even then - it's debatable as to whether you'll need it. You can always buy it later direct from Ferrari if you change your mind and decide you want one. And in terms of 430 comment, 458 leaps and bounds over 430 in every measurable way.

vtknight likes this.
  7. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    For brake pad wear, the best way is a visual inspection at all four corners.

For carbon brake rotor wear, that is done either by weighing the rotor or through an algorithm hooked up to the dealer computer that can calculate it. Unlike steel rotors, wear can’t be measured based on thickness, only weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vtknight likes this.
  8. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    Thank-you for your great response - lots of experience here which is exactly what I hoped for. I will follow your lead on the lowering - no ride issues? The warranty is not Ferrari - and I worried about that. 12K a year here for a Ferrari version. 10K for two (yes - red flag lol) - and I am getting it 4500. May be money to the wind - but - if it helps even that 4500 out - maybe worth the dough...

9. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
  10. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    Thank-you...Yes - that was the option I saw on a 458 video...is it an OBD plug in at the Dealership?

11. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I love the 458 and always find it special. While my Huracan is fun to drive, I always find the 458 much more engaging and visceral. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Here is my 458 lowered on the factory springs. Don’t forget to get the 4 wheel alignment as part of it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vtknight likes this.
  12. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    Wow - that looks fantastic as well - thank-you for that! Be careful - I may just take you up on those PM's...once I have the car acquired I will look into the lowering and see what my options are. Did you find ride quality differences?

13. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I found no real change in the ride quality. The bumpy road button is your friend :)

14. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  15. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Enzo like Ferrari

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Enzo A
    Congrats on the future purchase! Is that the one from Jake’s motor cars in San Diego?

If so, I was about to purchase that one before I purchase mine from Ferrari Silicon Valley

Very nice car and color combo. You’re gonna love it

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    No-one has said it yet or referred you to it but there is a dedicated 458 section here with a huge amount of existing information & experience

18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    just do it. You are closing the deal tomorrow. It's your anxiety. No need. It won't be your last F car. :)

Plus you are paying for the history and the seller, much less the car. PPI the car if anything.

19. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    No ride issues. In terms of extended warranty, Ferrari or not, I say keep the dough and use it towards any potential future repairs. These cars are very reliable. Check out the 458 section of this forum for more info and feedback.

vtknight likes this.
  20. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’ve had my 2013 spider for 3-1/2 years (28k miles) and just recently started tracking it, just for grins, The lack of rear brake cooling will become apparent if you track your cars in heavy braking situations. To me that is the weakest point of the car. It is quite sensitive to driver input as you turn the nannies off

The car is incredibly capable, and loads of fun when pushed a bit. IMO most owners never experience what it can really do (and not just speed-wise).

There was a passenger side airbag recall, most have had them addressed already.

I don’t have a lift which would’ve been useful for trailering the car, although I don’t trailer much these days since it’s got so many miles on it.

Drive it hard and often, and appreciate it for the magnificent car it is. You will be rewarded.

vtknight likes this.
  21. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Forgot to mention, I put a DME tune in mine which reduced the jerkiness at low RPM. You won’t notice any difference on a track.

Again, best of luck. They are fantastic cars. And as someone said, it won’t be your last F car.