New Ferrari site:AWESOME | Page 4 | FerrariChat

New Ferrari site:AWESOME

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by redryder, Nov 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I think we may have talked at some point in the distant past, too. Something about a Dino distributor, I think.

Yep, I'm a businessman, and I understand Rob's business model. Run a website for Ferrari Enthusiasts, build it, work it, build it some more. Eventually get it to the point where tons of folks consider it the "best" Ferrari site on the planet. While doing that (over 9+ years) acquire sponsors who like the demographic of the members. Charge them a reasonable fee to have access on a higher level to those members, so that they can sell what they have more effectively than a non paying member.

Site prospers, sponsors prosper, members prosper. Everyone is happy.

Infringing on that model by getting that level of access without paying for it is my issue, nothing more or less. Do you have a guy in your shop using your tools and fixing cars you could be fixing but he does it for free? I doubt it.

Do you let a guy stand in YOUR shop and tell your customers that the guy down the street can give them the same service at a lower price? Nope, I'd bet not. Yet, that's what you're suggesting Rob should do.[/quote]

Changing directions, My best wishes to you and your family for a Happy Thanksgiving.[/QUOTE]

As always, fun chatting. The best to you and your family also.

Dave

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Since we had a good conversation on the phone and I think we understand where each is coming from, lets not get distracted by the use of SHILL on this thread. Dave didn't use it directly in reference to this thread and you, I know how much that upsets you. I determined quickly the original poster wasn't a shill. I then informed the mod team this thread was clear, no shilling, opened the link, opened the thread, and then told the community this thread was fine.

Any use of shill in this thread by Dave or me was in reference to a tangent conversation with Rob/Frank about how many daily problems we have elsewhere with shills and why we put them on hold first to confirm which is harmless vs. allowing commercial abuser spammer shiller to get any more minutes of airtime. By no means do Dave, me, or any other mods think this thread is a shill now.

3. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I 100% agree. Thanks Rob for making that clear.

DM

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Since it has been confirmed this isn't a SHILL, can we all just CHILL (sorry for the weak joke, trying to lighten the mood)...by the way, to our brothers south of the border: have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving

5. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    This is up in boulder!.

Time for a roadtrip!.

6. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #81 355, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    Changing directions, My best wishes to you and your family for a Happy Thanksgiving.[/QUOTE]

As always, fun chatting. The best to you and your family also.

Dave[/QUOTE]

If I was Dave....I wouldnt spend a dime for ads on this site. Everyone in the Ferrari community knows of him anyway and if they didnt then this thread surely has spread the word far and wide. I have bought stuff off him and talked to him on the phone many times. He will talk to you for an hour to help you solve your problem and all for nothing. What Rob Low dosnt seem to understand is that Dave brings and keeps people coming here which also helps the sponsors cause which in turn puts money in Robs pockets. Rob has to realize that Dave is a plus for his site. He is sort of an anomoly. He cant be compared to other sponsors. Its a 2 way street unless Rob wants to have another UK incident.:)

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That has been my point, I was smart enough to put the thread on hold and keep the speculation and flaming out until I talked to Dave, we talked for 30 minutes and all good, and what remains is Rob (285ferrari) and Frank (355) trying to stir the pot on other stuff when this issue is over. If you are curious what Rob and Frank really think about FerrariChat and the rest of you just go to our competitors and see how they are trying to damage this community you like. Again, there is always a hidden agenda behind the scenes making something of nothing.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    let me slow down for you since you can't seem to comprehend, what do you think Dave and I talked about on the phone for 30 minutes? The weather? Both of us respect each other and the mutual value. Again, you are just trying to flame a fire that has already been put out or never started. This is called trolling and what you have a long history of.

9. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #84 285ferrari, Nov 26, 2009
    First off--It's Robbie, not Rob----You know I was done in this thread and had not posted anything since yesterday and once again--You Rob Lay continue to knock me down and drag things back up-Who is really stirring the pot here??? You have posted at least 3-4 times since my last post---Why don't you make an anonymous poll right now and ask the community here who is continuously stirring the pot??--Do you not see this with your own eyes?? Who keeps posting here in this thread?? Not me--YOU are---I came back to this thread once again to defend myself against YOUR continued posts....

Damage the community?? Are you serious?? I encourage all users to go over there and read for themselves---If what I said was in your eyes damaging then that is YOUR opinion and not the gospel. Why don't you read further where I say I like Fchat and enjoy coming here----Did you get that far into the thread or just quit reading after you heard what you wanted?? Someone speaks there mind, speaks the TRUTH and has an opinion and it is damaging? Just like you have said 100 times before, you have 70K registerd users, so how can one lowly user like myself damage such a huge community--Please--Do you really believe what your typing?? Why are you so angry when someone speaks there mind and there own opinion---Rob Lay is not the only one on earth with an opinion...You really need to step down from your high horse....Because I am certainly not the one damaging this site by speaking the truth...

This is my last post in this thread, again.. If you want to continue bashing go right ahead..

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

He's here and he's helping other folks, absolutely, but that in turn promotes his parts, services, etc. and draws business to him. It truly is a two way street.

As to comparing him to other sponsors, well, you're right about that, he doesn't compare to them since he's NOT a sponsor, he's a member here. So let's compare him to other members. Are there any other guys here who hand out information and assistance to owners with mechanical issues without trying to sell their goods at the same time? Ummm.... sure there are. So, while Dave has a wealth of information, which he shares, he also gets value back, as do the other mechanics who make a living fixin' Ferraris who post here. You think good posts here don't drive traffic to these guys? Then you're nuts, because of course it does.

Sure these guys want to help, but they want to make a living too.

Oh, and it's Rob Lay.

DM

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I really apologize Robbie, I had heard others call you Rob, I once went by Robbie too.

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams!!! :(:(

LOL :D:D:D:D

13. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You call it trolling when it suits you. Do you talk down to everyone? Or is it a behind the keyboard thing?

14. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    obfuscation Great word !!

ob·fus·cate (ŏb'fə-skāt', ŏb-fŭs'kāt')
    tr.v. ob·fus·cat·ed, ob·fus·cat·ing, ob·fus·cates
    To make so confused or opaque as to be difficult to perceive or understand: "A great effort was made . . . to obscure or obfuscate the truth"

To render indistinct or dim; darken: The fog obfuscated the shore.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obfuscation

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here and their families.

Second, Rob thanks for everything you do to keep Fchat up and running. I believe you make a diligent effort with integrity. We as users need to remember that lots of hard work goes on behind the scenes.

Regards,

Stew

15. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Rob, I appreciate the fact that you did what you said you were going to do and that you did it transparently. It sounds like you and Dave have worked out, or are well on the way to working out any differences or misunderstandings that have occured in the past.

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

May be an opening in the :) ;) :D section.

Keep those hopes and dreams alive.

DM

17. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    355, Whats wrong with Jews ?

18. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Ahh crap Dave don't tell Glenn that, I was trying to add to the controversy you milk toast.....

OK (hanging head low) sorry Glenn I was just hankin' Dave's rope.

19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

In as much as he's on a six month hiatus, let's leave him and his biases off the chat, ok?

THX all,

DM

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    He is on a 6-month ban, starting today, so you will not get an answer from him.

21. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Ahhh.... bummer, brahhahahaha

22. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#97 348SStb, Nov 26, 2009
    Wow, where have I been the past few days...

Guys, bottom line:

This is Rob's kingdom. This is his site. He built it; he owns it. He is king, and he has every right to be. Frankly he can be any kind of king he wants to be in his own kingdom. Everyone mustn't forget this.

That said, Rob is a fair and just king. His actions are to be respected; and if challenged, challenged respectfully. This isn't obsequious talk here. It's darn human nature. Of course, he's not going to tolerate disrespect any more than any other person in a position of ownership or authority.

Certainly, of the entire pool of F-Chat users to be flamed, Rob is the least likely to appreciate it. He works very hard to keep this place one of the best places on the internet. I know my life would be different without F-Chat and therefore I appreciate his efforts and also those of the moderators to keep it on a path of progress and not regression.

Moderators, consider closing this thread!

23. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I totally agree. Great post.

24. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

As a good owner, Rob also likes to leave threads open, even ones that complain about the site's content, quality, moderators, or frankly himself.

Threads like this provide insight into the decision making process, and helps Rob fine tune the site.

No reason to end the discussion, as long as it remains mostly civil.

D

25. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

<mostly civil>

hehe :D