New Fiat/ Miata 124 spider ---- what the? | Page 12 | FerrariChat

New Fiat/ Miata 124 spider ---- what the?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What did you have done to the Miata?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Excuse? Well, the weather has been sooooo cold! :D

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had two different steering wheels made, coil overs, open flash tune and exhaust, short shift kit, the sport body kit, new wheels and tires. Then I sold it to a guy in Chicago with 1800 miles on it.. Then I bought the Evora 400

4. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2018 Europe FIAT 124 Spider sales:-

January - 408
    February - 335
    March - 1351
    Total: 2094

5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2018 USA Fiat 124 Spider sales:-

January - 183
    February - 223
    March - 325
    April - 337
    May - 425
    Total: 1493

6. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

January - 408
    February - 335
    March - 1351
    April - 442
    Total: 2536

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I saw one in Florence Italy last week. First one in Europe I had seen. Then again, there aren't that many 2 seat sports cars on the roads in Europe.

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    So, it looks like the 124 is selling at 300/month in the US. That's about 20x the rate of the 4c based on Nigel's 2018 data. $70k price point versus $25k(?) price point must be a big driver.

Guessing it's about 1/10th of Miata volumes, Nigel, have that data as a reference?

Shame it is not more commercially successful. It looks like a fun car and I am guessing posters here love theirs. I wonder why it has not done better if my volume guess above is right. Is it as simple as too few dealers or is it too much of a "me too" and not distinct enough for the up charge versus the Mazda?

9. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    2017 Miata #'s are about 11k, 2018 is running a good amt below that from what I can tell.

10. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Matt, per month or annual?

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Fiat is more expensive, a bit cushy-er and "softer", retro (aka an older demographic base than the Miata), are sold in a smaller dealer network with far less visitors, and almost all of them are automatics (its very hard to find a manual in any trim other than basic).

It would make sense it sold less than the Miata. I think Fiat is happy enough with it. Mazda maybe not so much.

I think finding a good used one might be fun as a second car to bounce around in. I don't know what resale values look like but any returning off a lease must be pretty cheap.

12. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Mazda MX-5 Miata USA sales:-

2012 - 6305
    2013 - 5780
    2014 - 4745
    2015 - 8591
    2016 - 9465
    2017 - 11 294
    2018 Jan-May: 3858

13. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks Nigel.

So Miata is 2-3x Fiat 124 volumes.

Fiat has 208 US dealerships compared to Mazda's 600. Seems like sell through rate is about the same.

NEP likes this.
  14. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Annual from what I see.

15. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Speaking of the Mazda:-

Thanks goodness for the Fiata.

In partnering with Mazda’s MX-5 Miata to resurrect the classic Fiat 124 Spider — thus the nickname “Fiata” — Fiat Chrysler not only gained a halo sports car for its struggling Italian brand, but likely saved the most celebrated small sports car of the past 25 years.

“The possibility exists that without our partnership with FCA, there may not have been a business case to produce the fourth-generation MX-5 Miata,” says Robert Davis, Mazda’s senior vice president of U.S. operations.

The critically acclaimed 2017 Fiat Spider is the latest addition to an American performance product renaissance. From the Dodge Challenger Hellcat to the Ford Focus RS to the Subaru BRZ, the motoring public has not had such a buffet of affordable performance iron since the 1960s. As Tim Kuniskis, Fiat Chrysler’s head of passenger car brands, likes to call it: “The Second Golden Age of the Performance Car.”

But U.S. automakers are facing the costliest wave of government regulation since the 1970s: So-called CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) gas mileage rules from Washington mandate average vehicle fuel economy of 54.5 mpg by 2025. California mandates that 15.4 percent of vehicles sold by 2025 be electric- or hydrogen-powered “zero-emission vehicles.” Combined with tougher safety regulations and increased consumer demand for navigation and driver-assist features — electronic enhancements unheard of just a decade ago — the cost of developing a new car can run into the 10 figures.

So when Mazda contemplated the fourth generation of the Miata, a green light was not assured, even as the frisky roadster has come to define the Japanese-based manufacturer’s “ZOOM ZOOM” image that covers everything from its 3-model sedan to its mid-sized CX-9 crossover.

The MX-5 is the best-selling two-seat sports car ever with more than 1 million sold since 1989 — but with annual production of just 15,000 cars it’s a relatively low-volume toy. Given the car’s bespoke platform — not shared with any other Mazda — its business case is tenuous. So for the first time in its history, Mazda looked for a partner on Miata production.

“Cars have gotten more expensive with safety and emissions requirements,” explains IHS Automotive Senior Analyst Stephanie Brinley (and an MX-5 owner). “Look at the first Miata compared to the current car; it’s night and day in terms of equipment.”

Meanwhile, partnering with Mazda was an opportunity for Italy’s Fiat which was struggling to gain an identity in the U.S. market after its merger with Chrysler. Like Mazda, capital-starved FCA faces enormous challenges to meet looming government regulations.

“If you look at where FCA is at and where are the most important places to put our money, a 124 Spider heritage car might not be at the top of the list,” said Bob Broderdorf, director of Fiat North America, at the Spider’s media launch in San Diego this month. “Unique partnerships allow us to bring a car like this to market.”

Fiata was born.

Mazda’s rear-wheel-drive soft-top was the perfect platform for Fiat to launch the Spider’s comeback. The MX-5’s proven production record was an added bonus to a quality-challenged Italian automaker stuck with the nickname “Fix it again, Tony.” The two cars roll off the same Hiroshima assembly line and share chassis, switchgear, even infotainment systems – their skins and drivetrains the only significant differences.

“For Fiat it was an easy way to expand the lineup, and they have enough of a history with sports cars to credibly pull off another one,” says Brinley.

The result are two fun-mobiles starting at just $25,000, a throwback to 50 years ago when European sports cars from Fiat, Alfa, Lotus, MG and Triumph were topless fun. In 1989 the Miata resurrected that era and now, ironically, is being sustained by one of the vehicles it aimed to recreate.

But with automakers girding for a harsh decade of regulation, will the Second Golden Age last?

“Performance and tech are . . . intermingling to pay homage to these originals before additional CAFE regulations and changes to the marketplace kick in,” says Broderdorf. “Particularly with electrification.”

FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne has made no secret that he would like to partner with General Motors or another, larger company to share the R&D investment required to meet those challenges. With fewer resources, smaller manufactures are entering into more symbiotic partnerships to sustain lower volume models that are still essential to brand image and youth buyer outreach. Subaru developed the BRZ sports car and rebadges it as a Toyota 86. And Mazda builds the Toyota Yaris iA in Mexico off its Mazda 2 platform.

Fiata may be the future of many more industry marriages.

Henry Payne is The News’ auto critic.

16. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gt4?

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    The writing is starting to appear on the wall

Hardly anyone in America wants to buy a Fiat.

Fiat's US sales are down 44% this year. The brand has sold just a third as many cars in 2018 as it did during the first six months of 2014, Fiat's recent high-water mark. Americans bought far more Alfa Romeos than Fiats this year.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/07/03/news/companies/fiat-us-sales-future/index.html

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Yep, bringing the FIAT brand back to North America was a stupid idea in this day and age of thinning brands. It did help set up dealers but that was mismanaged and ended up leaving a bad taste in many dealers mouths.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There is no question Sergio has wanted Alfa to replace Fiat sales for some time. All the product development and marketing as been on Alfa. And the reason is that he believes people will buy an $80,000 Alfa but never buy a $40,000 Fiat.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Despite the 500 being a pretty good car and well anticipated, the marketing roll out started off as a disaster. And it was painfully SLOW because of the insistence that all the dealers had to build separate "studios". The speed and investment required made a lot of them shabby and small. They were trying to follow the Mini method where BMW built a separate dealer organization and buildings on BMW dealership grounds. The reason I believe BMW did that is that it didn't want to delude the BMW brand and it wanted to create a separate, hipper, younger and cooler image than what BMW brought. Why Fiat insisted on this is beyond me.

Now they have dealers stuck with facilities that need to be drastically upgraded to support higher priced Alfa and Maserati models. Alfa's dealers and network in Los Angeles is a complete joke.

21. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Yikes! If Alfa can't do LA right, imagine the chaos in the hinterlands.

22. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

January - 408
    February - 335
    March - 1351
    April - 442
    May - 786
    Total: 3322

23. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2018 USA Fiat 124 Spider sales:-

January - 183
    February - 223
    March - 325
    April - 337
    May - 425
    June - 401
    Total: 1894

24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Wow..what a major flop.

25. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    And it is not a bad looking car either. I think it is a marketing failure. Fiat should have made it easier for an impulse buyer to be able to get a manual transmission.