New Fiat/ Miata 124 spider ---- what the? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Fiat/ Miata 124 spider ---- what the?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I am disappointed with Fiat's effort. The car looks like the previous gen Miata to me.

Jimmy

2. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    A Fiat sport should look as an Italian sports car with ANSA and all.. I am sorry but that car dos not look like an italian car at all. Despites the few bits, it does not look like the old 124 at all. I could not pick it in the street as a fiat or even an italian car

3. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    This is the result of a company which launched the new Centro stile in 2007 where 200 people think about something to do.....

4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #54 au-yt, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Yep! Much better! More sex apropos to the old spider but with a distinctly modern look. Why is it so hard??

Just a lot more costly...

SV

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Probably due to Euro pedestrian safety requirements (e.g. higher hood instead of low sloping).

"Part of what you're seeing is the effect of European and Asian pedestrian-protection requirements that went live last decade. The idea is to leave enough space beneath the hood to keep a struck pedestrian's head from caving it in far enough to hit the top of the engine."

Taking the Hit: How Pedestrian-Protection Regs Make Cars Fatter - Feature - Car and Driver

I wondered why all the Ford cars looked the same with their high grills and hoods.

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Yes its a very weak job by fiat style team but I still like it. Miata was good to start with and all they did was change the grill.

And many reviews put miata at top of list for reasonable $ drivers car. fiat could be even better depending on engine and suspension

8. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Looks pretty damn good in the latest Car&Driver I recd today. They are quoting 0-60 in 6sec which I kinda doubt as the Abarth 500 is 7.5sec I believe at pretty much the same weight. Also stating an estimated msrp of $32k starting price which is somewhat higher than I would have expected. Also said that the Alfa 1.75l 4C engine will not fit. I want to see the Abarth version...

9. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    YEAH! Let's get rid of safety, airbags, better headlights, fuel efficient powerful motors with low emissions, reliability - who needs that!?!? durability? who cares!

Let's bring back Fiats that rusted within 3 years of ownership, oil leakers, oil burners, horrible reliability, terrible crash performance and eff catalytic converters and fuel injection! I really wish I could pop my hood and work on Marelli ignition problems day in and day out.. that's what a real car should be!

YEAH! Let's bring that back! (>not<)

Drive this new Spider for a few days, then drive your old Spider and I think you'll have a different appreciation for both. Modern cars are so much better than previous generations, period - in almost every way. Don't get me wrong, I love old cars (I have one, have raced one, have had many others) - but give me a Alfa 4C, or this thing - I'm not going to say no, and I certainly wouldn't take an old Spider over this thing.

Let's just thank goodness that this did not become the new Alfa Spider.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #60 TheMayor, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    The original spider had charm. This car has none. It's a bizarre mash up of the classic look married to a modern body. It's a Frankenstein.

The original car was flawed. It rusted, the paint oxidized, the front cross member broke, 2nd gear would grind, the transmission was noisy, the front suspension went through ball joints like mad, the 2 liter cars broke the diffs after 30K miles, and dependability was not one of things you would have associated with the 124 in those days.

I'm sure this one is less of a PITA but without charm, it just doesn't have a reason for being. The 124 was a bit of an real adventure. This one seems more like a cartoon of an adventure.

But, I bet Fiat sells quite a few even though the rear is one of them most generic designs I've seen on a sports car in ages.

11. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    So it's a Fiata?

The original 124 was/is gorgeous. One was brought to St. Barts last year to join a rental fleet at a premium over the usual Daihatsu stuff...

The new one? Please.

12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agree. They could have retained pininfarina to do it. Still like it better than the Miata-that front end is a mess imho, the fiat less so. They both won't win beauty prizes.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Bob, the first year for the Fiat 124 Sport Spider was 1966. Consider the Mustang of the same year, and then compare that with today's version. Same for the Camaro which was introduced a year later. Things change, and they get bigger/plumper as they age. ;)

14. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Has there ever been a a stronger argument for simply buying a used S2000?

Mark

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's not the plumpy-ness. Its the lack of charm in the design. They've taken a few elements of the original 60's look and slathered them on a Miata.

It doesn't work.

They either should have tried for something completely different than referencing the original 124 or done a clean sheet design. This is a mash up of visual ideas and none of them work.

16. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Its interesting how some think its great while others think its dog doo. Had an 81 and she was plenty of fun, the top was the simplest design and super easy to operate up or down from the drivers seat with one arm. Was not garaged at that time and she never failed to start even on the coldest winter days...fuel injection made all the difference on those cars.

I look forward to the Abarth version and I really like the design, much better than the Miata imo, looks like an updated 124 and very Italian to me with that long hood and short rear deck. Would like to see 200-210hp.

17. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Whats difference between fiats engine and miatas?

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I agree on all counts. But the Abarth should have even more power. For example, the 2005 Crossfire SRT6, both the coupe and the 'vert, had 330 hp.

I should add, I've only seen this Fiat in photos so far.

19. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    #69 trumpet77, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Waiting for pricing and the Abarth version.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Fiat is a turbo with a lot more torque and I think about 25 more HP.

21. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Mazda is 155hp with 148lb torque, Fiat is 160hp with 184lb torque, Fiats torque is avail about 2k rpm's lower though at 2500 rpm. Fiat will be approx 100-150lb's more though due to its 5" increase in length.

22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    so Miata will be the 'drivers' version? fiat the luxury one?

23. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
  24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    '

170 HP on the Abarth is better but no where near the Alfa 4c's 238. The alfa has 300 cc more displacement. The fiat would be a kickass version with that motor.

25. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Im thinking that the European version is being listed at 170hp as the regular 124 for Europe is listed at 140hp so that is a pretty good increase. As we know, the US version has 160hp so you would think that the US Abarth will have closer to 200hp.