News

new Ford GT vs Ferrari 488 1/2 Mile Video

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FikseGTS, Feb 13, 2019.

1. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Karting

May 29, 2006
    South Florida
  2. wrs

wrs F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jul 11, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well my 488 Spider does 60-130 in 7.0s, 100 to 150 in 7.3s 100-200kph in 6.1s and the quarter was 10.9 @ 133.5mph. That was all measured using Vbox on a county road. Surface similar to the stuff this was run on I suspect. The 0-150 was 13.96s with 1ft rollout. The Ford GT costs a lot more than the Ferrari and is much more limited production but the performance numbers are about the same based on what's posted here. The Ford GT seems to get off the line a little faster too.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Dang- that video wasn’t close. Would GTB be faster?

4. wrs

wrs F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jul 11, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The Vbox numbers he posted aren't any faster than my car. I don't have enough room to run a 1/2 mile out on the county road but it looked to me like he got the lead at the beginning but it never increased and the other numbers he posted tend to support that.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There was a slight lead in the beginning but the GT did pull away. Wasn’t expecting that.

Not that it matters- these drag races are useless other than for friendly banter- but I expected a car with more HP, and lighter to do better.

6. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    The side by side race showed both of them getting in the 154 mph range in half mile. That is low for both cars and especially the Ford GT.

when he showed his best run in ford gt it was about 163 mph which is right around where it should be.

488 coupe should be in 156 to 158 mph range.

7. wrs

wrs F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jul 11, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I should add, color me unimpressed for such an expensive car. I am confident the Pista would easily beat the Ford GT.

8. galt

galt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 19, 2005
    #8 galt, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    I think what matters are the conditions. And why you need to have both cars at the same time so that you get numbers that are actually comparable due to elevation, humidity, temperature and track conditions. The numbers you have are probably very different than if you had run your car that day on that track.

As for the Pista vs the GT that would be interesting. Pista has about 50HP advantage on weight and looks like, depending how it is configured is a bit lighter. However, the GT has the top speed mode which may cut drag enough to matter. Would be interesting to watch. However, for me, horsepower and straight line speed are nowhere near the top of what I care about.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. wrs

wrs F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jul 11, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yeah conditions matter but not that much in this case I think. I ran my car on a day when the temperature was about 77F and humidity was 80 percent. The altitude was 400 ft above sea level according to the Vbox. You can figure the DA from that but the conditions I had were consistent with near optimal conditions for my area and I bet were similar on the day they ran in Florida. In any case, my numbers don't make me feel like I am missing something with the Ford GT. It's only a six cylinder anyway for crying out loud.........

10. galt

galt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 19, 2005
    #10 galt, Feb 13, 2019
    Personally, I don't think either is the right car if you car about straight line---get a 720 or save yourself a ton of money and just soupe up a vette, viper or GTR. I personally could care less---they both have plenty of power--probably so much that it actually takes away from the driving experience on the street for many. In terms of conditions being variable not sure I agree there. A headwind would slow both cars down significantly right? Obviously it could have been a one off---but I am sure there will be other head to heads posted online. And they will be way more useful then numbers recorded in different cars run at different conditions.

RE the Ford, cylinders really don't matter--especially with turbo/boost being a huge variable. It is a six cylinder that makes about the same power as the 8 cylinder in the Ferrari. Both manufacturers are quoting HP and torque numbers about 10 units apart--so who knows what the actual numbers are given manufacturers propensity to "underrate power" Especially non Ferrari manufacturers. On top of that, the GT likely has a weight advantage depending on how the 488 is configured. Finally, the GT very likely has an aero advantage when driven in the high speed mode.

theplanner likes this.
  11. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I have my application in for the Ford GT and hope to hear a favorable reply in the next 30 days. BTW as said the drag times dont matter much

galt likes this.
  12. wrs

wrs F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jul 11, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #12 wrs, Feb 13, 2019
    I was thinking of sound on the 6 vs 8 cylinder issue. I know the 6 can produce a lot of HP and torque and the 488 replacement thread is replete with claims that Ferrari is headed that way. I think that if you are talking about comparing my numbers to the Ford GT numbers that day then the headwind might be an explanation for why the best run for the Ford was about 8mph faster than the one they showed in the heads up. However, the Vbox numbers he posted in the video were I assume his best numbers of the day and not the ones from the run shown in the video but from the best run of the day. These numbers always get cherry picked before putting on a forum. Believe me, I spent 3 years at 6 speed online arguing 991tts numbers from Vbox so I am very familiar with how this works. I agree that it can be misleading but some cars are faster than others. We certainly found that out with the 991tts and I am sure it's true of Ferrari as well.

I should add, I think the Ford GT is a very cool car. I saw one at the State Fair of Texas last October.

galt likes this.
  13. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I'm fine with accepting the GT beat the 488.....in THAT race, but as is the case with all of these videos (even when an F-car wins), they have little real value to me because of all the possible variables involved (driver skill, setup, WX, etc..).

That said, I certainly feel better when "my" model wins......because then I know the race was fair, drivers were equal, the weather had no effect on performance.....and it supports my belief that I purchased the better car.......:D

Jim

3POINT8, anishka and wrs like this.
  14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I feel that the Ford GT should have won. I’m not really surprised. It was designed as a race car first and a road car second. I also feel that the FGT benefits as also the 720S does which is hugely from their superior aero as compared to the 488.

15. Bojote

Bojote Rookie

Apr 22, 2018
    Doral, FL
    Full Name:
    Jesus A
    I've noticed that from a dig the 488 is pretty bad. Vbox Sport measured 0-60 times are consistent 3.4s - 3.6s vs the claimed 2.9s from Ferrari. Also, in that race there was lots of wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd gear. The interesting point to note from that race, is the Ford GT ability to pull away from the 488.

wrs likes this.
  16. ipsedixit

ipsedixit Karting

Well, for those 488 owners experiencing a momentary "small penis syndrome" consider that that the Ford GT is approximately $150k-200k (depending on model year) more than the 488 GTB (base MSRP to base MSRP).

So, there's that.

Now back to our regular programming.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2007
    I find the sound to be such a letdown.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Biggest problem with the Ford is you can’t buy one and when they do come available they will be in the 1MM DOLLAR territory.

I would be willing to bet my 635 hp Perfornante with AWD will do better against the Ford because if it’s better start.

The Pista will kick it’s ass guaranteed.

The FGT in red is bad ass beautiful by the way. Not really a fan of yellow.,

wrs, stavura and JimPVB like this.
  19. Ash11

Ash11 Rookie

Feb 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ashley Carmony
    Guys that ford gt is not stock I raced a Ford GT with my 488 and it looked about the same but with the 488 pulling the Ford like that I seen this video on you tube when it came out awhile back and just laughed. Take anything by dragtimes on you tube with a grain of salt

20. werewolf

werewolf F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Very close. The Ford GT launched about a tenth sooner.

(remember that a fixed time delta translates to more distance, as speed increases)

21. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    Bear Creek, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    So one car you can buy, the other not so much.

dmark1 likes this.
  22. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Keep in mind that a $500K fgt comes with more CF that 100 488s though...

If the FGT had a Ferrari badge, imagine how much it would cost.

wrs likes this.
  23. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Karting

May 29, 2006
    South Florida
    I'll bet your 488 that the GT in this video is 100% stock..... if you win you get the GT, ready?

Jo Sta7, Tu160bomber and CChung like this.
  24. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but I’m looking at the video and the 488 spider does not have stock rims and tires. It looks like he’s up sized the wheels...which makes the rims and tires, unsprung weight, heavier than upgraded factory sport rims?

It looks like 488 also added a rear spoiler lip to the car which might be useful on the track when cornering but definitely not when dragracing in a straight line.

Also keep in mind that the spider is approximately 120 lbs heavier than the 488 coupe.

Regarding the trap speeds of both cars at the end of the run, look at those cameras they have stuck on both cars. That can definitely affect the final speed at the end of the half mile run.

Brooks ( McLaren owner) is also considered a better driver by many...more experienced (better launch)

Some Posters are saying that the Ford GT is much more expensive than the 488 (secondary market) and therefore should be faster. What does cost really have to do in this case? You’re talking about the two vehicles going fast and a straight line, if it was a ford mustang GT and it beat the Ferrari would we be saying the same thing on cost? Either way the McLaren 720 S which is roughly 1/3 the cost of a secondary purchase of the Ford GT and it would destroy the two cars in this video in a straight line. With that said I couldn’t care less which car was faster in a straight line for they are all quick. In order of preference i would choose the Ford GT first ( love the design but not a fan of the V6 motor sound) then the 488 spider, and then finally in the McLaren 720 S spider. They are all very close in desirability for me and I wouldn’t throw either one of those cars out of my garage for eating crackers in bed. LOL. :)

boobernackle likes this.
  25. Bojote

Bojote Rookie

Apr 22, 2018
    Doral, FL
    Full Name:
    Jesus A
    Those are 355's rears and 245's in the front. Wheels are HRE's R101LW, which are 16 lbs each aprox. (not sure how much the OEM wheels weight compared to the HRE's). Also, car is on novitec lowering springs lowered 1.2''. Current tires (Pirelli PZ4's) compared to stock S007 potenzas give slightly better traction. I don't think this has affected performance but I'll be more than happy to run against a stock 488 Spider side to side and compare.

The effect of a spoiler is also determined by its surface area, angle etc. That lip is tiny and the amount of drag it produces should be insignificant, specially considering that on January 20th, the day of that race, wind was blowing 18kts and it was a TAIL wind. All cars were making 3-8 mph more in the 1/2. If anything, the 488 driver was almost 290 lbs, that will definitely slow it down and have much more impact than aero drag