New Ford GT | Page 6 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Your post is spot on. My friend had a GTI and he loved the car. I liked it so much I went to the dealer to buy one. He found me a R version of the same car. I think it had 100 hp more on the same car.

That and my Lotus Elise sport , all 6 cylinder were great fun cars. Actually the Lotus may have been 4 cylinders. I just know they were fun to own.

Best

Lee

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #127 leead1, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Mark that is a great question. The older Italian cars not only looked better they drove or felt better to drive. I personally did not like most American cars.

That has now changed dramatically. The new C7 handles better then almost any car I have owned or driven.

The new Z/28 is the creme of the crop. Try one it is just beyond belief.
    I have owned so many cars it is hard for me to get excited, The Z/28 does that.

Ford is still a little behind although I like my '13 Shelby. It has 665hp but when driven spiritedly is feels low tech! It has a live rear axle which on some regimes you feel or get a shudder. Still a great car and fun to own

The new Mustang will have a rear independent suspension, problem solved ")

And the New FGT Can't wait.

I should mention that my 2013 Viper drives so much better than my 2009 Viper. The new car has more power but the big difference is the way the car handles. The older Viper felt nervous all the time while driving. The new Vipers are just wonderful. I think that Fiat helped on the chassis redesign. Maybe some one on this forums knows. The older Vipers has a better look in my view. The new cars appearance has been softened.

Best

Lee

3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Both!!

4. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    But Porsche is not American, and it is what they are known for.

Imagine a Viper or Corvette 6 cyl.

Edit. I have no doubt that we WILL see more 6cyl. cars in the future though.

5. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    But this is a supercar, not something Americans are known for ;)

I see your point, but IMO it's completely unimportant and I don't agree at all with people who think it is.

6. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My friend had a modified FGT and it was a stunning performer. I personally do not modify the cars I own although I understand some are very well done.

My Mosler has 600 hp, Nelson Engineering can modify them to 2500hp maybe it was 2800 hp. I just choose not to do it.

As a side bar I think it is a sin to modify an iconic car like the Ford GT. I would be concerned it would hurt the value of the car in later life.

Best

Lee

7. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Exactly. Ford is known for their V8's. Many different variations over the years, especially with their performance cars. Porsche is known for their 6's, especially the TT.

8. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    If cylinder count is a point of heritage, than why isn't everybody crying foul that American sports cars aren't 18.9 liter 4 cylinder engines with exposed crankshafts?

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    After watching the video, drivative htought he design may be, its stunning, and the air treatment along the flanks is very original.

Lets see what it weights and costs.

If its a 200-250K car and weights less than 3000lbs how can you refuse.

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #135 WILLIAM H, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Geraldix

Geraldix Rookie

Feb 22, 2012
    Porto Alegre, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Gerhard Schlee
    This car looks definitely better than that overdesigned FIAT, the LaFerrari thing.

12. Geraldix

Geraldix Rookie

Feb 22, 2012
    Porto Alegre, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Gerhard Schlee
    #137 Geraldix, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Looking at the video, the rear spoiler looks like it could be moveable, no? It would be a shame if this car doesn't have any kind of active aero on it.

EDIT: just bothered to read an article about the car. The rear spoile is active, indeed.

13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Holy crap that's gorgeous !!!

14. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    Those of you who are fans of the V8 (myself included) will be extremely disappointed to hear that Ford will phase put the V8 by 2017. The ****ing EPA is getting on them about all the bull**** emissions.

What losers. (The EPA that is)

But either way, I'm not sure how I feel about the new FGT. I keep seeing a Factory 5 GTM mixed with a LaF. If this is the Ford V8's last hoorah, why end it early? I'd have really liked to see maybe a 7.0 liter version of the 5.2 in the GT350 pushing like 700+ hp to the wheels. The future of the automobile we know of today makes me worry.

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I thought the new FGT was going to be a 650 hp TT V6 with about the same amount of torque.

16. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thnx Greenie Dbags

I've heard morons working to limit all cars in USA to 70 mph

Forcing older V8s, V10s, V12s etc off the road is likely coming in future too

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well a V wouldn't fit in the back of that little Volkswagen anyway : P

I agree though - V6 turbo in an American car is probably not the most popular thing to the average American car enthusiast.

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    For racing. As various people and articles have speculated, keeping the displacement under 4L allows the greatest flexibility in terms of series/classes they can run.

One way to make people forget about the V8 a little is to decorate the hell out of this car with realworld victories.

Plus the Ecoboost engines are already in various forms of racing. I know Ganassi runs a 3.5L in at least one of his race cars. Seems like this is where they are investing, but I am not a Ford expert.

I hope that is what they do.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    With cheap gas, the drag on growth out west due to cheap oil, and consumers desire to buy bigger cars there may be some changes in thinking.

The 54 MPG target was always set to be reviewed mid point in 2017. My guess is it will be watered down, oil consumption si dropping too fast and consumers want bigger cars again due to low prices. The manufacturers are already lobbying for relaxation, and not just the big 3.

Ford may wish everyone wants a TTv6, they may even be positioning it as the next small block in the pantheon of motors, but rigth now GM and Chrysler seem to have made good best staying with steel and v8s in their trucks, and I dont see vettes dropping v8s. I dont see buying acadillac till I can geta v8.

Would not write off the v8 just yet. Plus dont see them dropping it in the mustang. No doubt ford may have plans for a TT v6 Gt350r, but do you really think its big seller?

We also know that while a turbo motor may show good numbers on an epa or eu test cycle, out in the real world if you use the power its numbers are the same as or even wose than a bigger NA motor.

To me, for a street car turbos are a con. The only real advanatge is in the ability to make a smaller therefore lighter motor as pwerful as a bigger one. In theory this allows you to build a smaler lighter car improving overall performance, think F40, or boost an exiting design into a different perfomance class,wrx. The cost in a perfomance car is of course throttle response, big fuel consumption when using the perfomance and the near necssity of PDK to mask lag.

Yep for small sedans a low pressure turbo makes that 4 feel like an 8, but in reality for performance cars what are the turbo adavantages, vs a really good clean sheet bigger dispalcement Na motor.

There have been numerous articles written showing that the frictional losses for a small engine turning high revs to make power outweigh the gains over a slower turnign higher dispalcement engine. Unless of course weight and compact size are priorities.

Just look at fuel economy numbers for a wrx driven reasonably fast, no better than a vette. And then we have the wards article staing that ecoboost is not so eco.

Yes if you stay off boost and drive gingerly you can save gas. So maybe with high gas prices an average owner of a pickup can drive very carefully on the highway and save, if they live somewhere flat.

The GT is a halo car, it will sell the idea of a TTv6 as the performce choice. Its a car mostly built by oussiders with a lot of development backup from ford and a ford badge. Kinda like an origional Gt40 then.

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    New Raptor is also V6 TT

21. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Agree. TTV6 in Halo car will make it easier to justify when you start seeing all the new top-end Mustang's release with TTV6's also.

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Not sure if this was posted, but it sure sounded cool:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-qSRnqUZg[/ame]

23. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
  24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    What's wrong with tractors???? :D:D:D:D

25. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Psssst. Sounds like a racing motor idling in a v configuration w momentary turbo noise.