New GranTurismo | Page 6 | FerrariChat

New GranTurismo

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Jun 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I agree, this is a better looking car than the old GS, although you can see the ICE version is still the same car with a new motor. You can tell how Maserati is leaning towards ICE in sportscars with the intro for the electric version being much later. The electric version is a tank, as heavy as a truck.

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Perhaps they're still working that out?

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Disappointed. It looks too similar to the 2008 Granturismo.

redcaruser and Boomhauer like this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #130 Nembo1777, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    Yeeees...but think about it: if you said at a Stuttgart piggie club, a Porker 911 gathering that the new model looks too similar to the old one...they would burn you at the stake.

One could argue that the 2007 onwards first Granturismo had a design that was just iconic in terms of beauty AND of defining the quintessential Grand Tourisme. What Maserati stands for.

So why throw it away?

But yes they were shy about minor styling changes, they played it safe because a lot is riding on it.

5. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

That's the issue. Maserati cant play it safe. They have nothing to save. Their sales # are awful. They need something exciting. In 2007, id have considered a GT over a 997. Now, no way id consider that over a 992. The 911 can pull the on going looks bc it has done everything well for years. The same cant be said for Maseratis. On the other hand, had they launched something that looked exciting, id be willing to take a chance with a Maserati bc it would be emotional.
    That new car...is pretty but completely forgettable.

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I see your point but they HAVE launched something exciting and groundbreaking, it's called the MC20.

Regarding the Granturismo I would much rather have than than a 911 or whatever these things are called today, there is one at every street corner. I do NOT want something that common. Regarding sales I do believe they will do well, though they need to educate the US dealership staff.

Froggie likes this.
  7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Maserati’s issues in NA have nothing to do with the product. As far as the GranTurismo vs a 911. The 911 is a 2 hour car, the GranTurismo is an all day car.

F1tommy and Nembo1777 like this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    They do have to do with the potential sales and the loss of part thereof due to inadequate staff as you have said yourself.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Unless it's Electric. Then it would also be a 2 hour car between charges :p

wbaeumer likes this.
  10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How so?

11. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I meant something exciting in this segment. I would have been willing to trade my 991 for a new Maserati had it been exciting. But this just falls flat. It's pretty(ish). Not enough to overcome all the usual letdown that comes with a Maserati or Italian car for that matter. Not when a 991/992 exists.

As to Maserati issues in NA, they do have to do with the product. At this point it's old, outdated and has abysmal reputation. Ghibli, 4p and GT are all at least 7 years old when BMW, Mercedes, Porsche etc all have much newer and up to date offerings. The % of emotional buyers (you and me) are absolutely small and not enough for Maserati to succeed.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    To me the letdown is to be found in the Stuttgart piggie: zero charisma. It's a product like a dishwasher or microwave.

To the contrary every time I initiate a Porsche person to riding in a Maserati or Ferrari their attitude goes from snooty and dismissive before to a wide eyed epiphany "Oh my God that was fantastic now I get it". The fact is that in my experience a LOT of Porker drivers, in the US, Europe and UK are very bland people, I guess it goes together.

Oh and the electronic equipment I could not care less about, Waze is all I would use.

In my Khamsin through thousands of miles I used the radio once. At a railroad crossing when stuck waiting for an endless crawling freight train to pass.

13. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The many people who haven't bought a Granturismo until today probably won't buy the new one either. Because why should they? It still looks like it did before! And a three-liter V6 twin-turbo engine isn't the greatest enlightenment either.

And the constant Granturismo new car buyers (I bought one each new in 2014 and 2018) will probably bail now, as I do. The new one bores me even more with every picture I see. Of course I'll give him a chance if I can see him in real life. But I already liked the MC20 less in reality than in the pictures, why should it be different with the Granturismo. The current Maserati design language is beautiful but unfortunately also very quickly very boring.

What I can imagine, and this probably concerns mainly Europe, is that the all-wheel drive in all models can help the new one to more sales figures. Here in Europe, it seems to be an important selling point. We'll see.

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
  15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think it is the best looking GS. They took a GS and added as much as they could from a ROMA. The longer nose really does make it look much better. Also with the rear wheel arch humps being more rounded and blended (ROMA)makes the car look shorter than the old version.

16. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I agree. The problem with Maserati playing it safe is that in between putting this new car out, and the old one, they teased everybody with a concept called the Alfieri which was not only incredibly beautiful, it looked pretty much production ready. That was the issue. They *could* have released a better design, and chose not to. Disappointing.

17. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    I feel the same way regarding the Zagato 3500 GT, penned, designed, but never built. Staying in business is more prudent than being stylish.

18. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    True but at the time the 3500gt zagato was unveiled, the idea of concept cars released to "test the waters" was at worst inexistent, or at best very very different to what it was by the time the Alfieri came out. The Alfieri concept was a huge huge success, I remember several headlines saying it could be THE car to save Maserati in the eyes of the enthusiasts and the general Maserati buying public. In fact, given the brand history, even as a 2 seater it would make heaps more sense than the MC20. Building that car, even today, would certainly help them "stay in business". A lot more than this new GT which it seems has been born dated and overtaken. Anyway, that's what I think.

19. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well this ought to ruffle a few feathers.
    The presenter is kinda of a jerk, lots of very snarky comments about Maserati.
    He does make some valid comments about the wisdom of fitting an EV drive train to a car designed for ICE. He fires identical criticisms against BMW for the same thing.

However at the end he is forced to admit that the car is gorgeous looking and the Teslas just are not.

20. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The new Granturismo is more beautiful than the design icon Tesla? Wow, what a huge success, we can be really proud of Maserati!

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Original GranTurismo was designed in Pininfarina studio, and is one of my all time favourite cars.

Is 2022 re-design also by Pininfarina?

I'm not excited with the design 'language' of MC20, so the new GT also looks bland to me, the front gives me old Jag F-type (2012) flashbacks.

22. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    I love the new GranTurismo. Very beautiful and elegant design language. Sadly no V8 will be offerd for this sexy looking GT. And I'm still waiting for the interior pictures.

23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  24. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb