New GT | Page 14 | FerrariChat

New GT

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by agrun, Jul 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  2. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    There will be divergence on the new one too as people differ; one might hope for more elegance whereas the other hopes for more sportiveness. :)

3. AllThingsSuperGT

Jul 28, 2017

I will be there on the 7th in Portofino - hopefully see all then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    The prototypes were tested in the cali body as I understand it and I think Marcel also confirmed the same thing. A small number were also spotted on the production line a few weeks ago.

5. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Easy car to test in disguise as just use the existing Cali body as already stated.

I am told that aside from the roof there is nothing recognisable about it being a California and that being an all new car is built on the modular chassis. Lusso style touch screen will inevitably feature.

6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #331 Traveller, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Sorry I wasn't following this thread: I read now that the presentation was scheduled at Portofino since a few weeks, did no one see it coming? :)

8. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What does the "And more" you were referring to on page one actually mean? It was as though you had some huge state secret you couldn't reveal, looks like a mundane replacement to the California or am I missing something??

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If what I was told is correct, time will tell.

10. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I wait with baited breath for the great secret to be revealed by you.

11. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Allover good, the bit I do not like (at the moment) is the V-cut behind the front wheel at the side of the car. Don't regard that as 'elegant'.

12. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Base msrp $225K maybe ?

13. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    CNN has already reported expected base $203k but just a speculation.

14. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That would be surprising...no increase over CaliT base.

15. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Can they fit a V12 into it ?

16. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    To me no surprise at all Rockitman! Believe Ferrari's current strategy is to keep the base price as close as possible to the previous model BUT the material used is of less quality (not meaning 'bad') than it used to be, trusting that the buyer will spend much more on upgrading the car they buy. Isn't that the case with the models which came out after the F12 TDF?

17. Superfast275

Superfast275 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Somewhere in Europe
    Full Name:
    A.
    Gentlemen, now that the Portofino is here, I feel it is time to pay homage to the car that started this segment at Ferrari. Presented by the aristocratic Luca di Montezemolo as a “new Ferrari for a different type of Ferrarista”, the California was groundbreaking and sensational in a way that many still fail to appreciate, in my view. But talk to the engineers at the factory in Maranello and they all love it.

Of course it does not handle like a 458, and it is not as quick as an F12. But it is not meant to. It is a Ferrari you drive back to your weekend/summer villa at legal speeds, top down, with a cigar in one hand, a beautiful blonde by your side and a grin on your face as you think about how sweet life is. And there is more: Monday to Friday you can drive it to the office in Manhattan or Canary Wharf in understated luxury, without any show-off. It is also genuinely like having 2 cars in one. Spec’d in an understated colour, you can put the roof up and take your grandma to the Opera in absolute comfort and the elegance of a Bentley. On a sunny Sunday morning, just put the manettino in Sport and the roof down and the sound of that gorgeous, naturally aspirated V8 makes you feel like Michael Schumacher -who by the way had an active role in its development-.

All wrapped in a sculptural, beautifully classic body signed by Pininfarina and with an exquisitely finished interior in exceptionally smooth Poltrona Frau leather. A car that carries the heritage and racing pedigree of such a legendary brand and that still comes in a package that is perfect for cruising effortlessly around Europe in style, together with your matching luggage set. Roof up or down. And you can even take your kids (or a few bottles of champagne) in the back seats if you like. Just amazing. Nothing like that existed in Ferrari’s range at the time it came out, and in my view it was the perfect addition.

I ordered my California 30 new when I was 36, without even doing a test-drive in advance. It was love at first sight, and also my first Ferrari. Since then, I have driven (and driven hard) many other models in the current range, home and abroad, on the road and on the track, Fiorano included. Every one of them has its own personality and is special in its own way. Of course there are faster ones than the Cali, but again that misses the purpose entirely. I think we should all be proud of every model and celebrate the diversity and ridiculously extreme versatility that the California/Portofino segment adds to the current offering. In my case, even though a new 488 Spider will be coming soon (to fulfill an entirely different, much more focused purpose) I know I will keep the Cali forever. No other car I’ve owned makes me feel so sure that I will never get tired of it in the years ahead.

tomc likes this.
  18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Actually they reported it as 2.3 million dollars and it runs on the souls of slave labor unlike Apple which never keeps its money off shores... always supports the right candidates and never utilizes slave labor.

I mean Ferrari doesn't even keep nets on there dormitories for when the workers try to commit suicide... how awful... how can they go back to work if they smack the ground?

Ok ok... maybe wrong forum.

19. Pesto

Pesto Karting

Sep 22, 2004
    PalmBeachGardens,FL
    Full Name:
    Douglas A. Benson
    Superfast 275, I believe that uou are are absoluteley correct. Surely we should be able and willing to reognize and suport the varying tastes and perspectives of all here.

20. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nice first post-Welcome!

21. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Nice evaluation about what the California really is. My first Ferrari was a Cali NA as well and versitality wise this car is unbeatable. One moment I was driving on a seaside or country side road with the roof down, smelling the Atlantic Ocean or the flowers in the fields, and by the click of a finger, I was cruising on an hard top fast GT on a motorway. I even took it throught non asphalted paths more appropriate for a Land Rover and the Cali always got throught. Easy to drive, fast and great fun.

The Portofino seems to have maintained all the atributes of the California and in terms of drive train and aesthetics, looks to be a big jump forward. From the pictures already published I find the new car very beautiful and right or wrong, I see in it the elegant lines of some other big brothers GT's designed by Pininfarina.

22. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    +1

23. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

From the same folks that brought you Hillary in a landslide?

:eek: