New GT | Page 8 | FerrariChat

New GT

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by agrun, Jul 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I doubt we will see a V12 in the Cali successor. That's too much of an infringement on the 812.

I do think we will see a much sportier Cali replacement which hopefully will compel buyers like you and bring you back to the fold. ;)

I can't wait to see the new car.

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nobody buys a California because of its 0-60 time. I dont care how fast the new Cali is. It will be 'fast enough'. We buy Californias because they are a great compromise between performance and practicality.

Everyone I know with a Cali could have bought a 458 spider or an NSX, but they dont fit the needs we have.

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Exactly ... it's why I sold my F430 and bought the Cali.

4. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Top up and down at speed is a huge plus.

My main concern now is the wheelbase ... still 105" or so?

Weight of around 3700?

5. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Can you be more specific about this?

6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Difficult at this stage, but we have to assume it could be the new modular platform as this car will either be a mild hybrid now, but definitely will be after 2019. The tiny extra interior rear space is not due to a change of wheelbase apparently.

7. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I'm one of them. The more I see, learn and experience the new NSX ... the more I love it :)

8. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #183 werewolf, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Allow me to offer something ...

The days of viewing turbo and hybrid (or kers) systems as "independent systems" are soon to be over :)

Hybrid technology is STILL advancing. Advanced super-caps may soon replace batteries for energy storage, for example. This technology has been advancing, largely, independent of turbocharger technology ... but maybe not for long! In any case, the industry has been already learning how to cost-effectively store, electrically, recovered energy in our cars.

So ... now, imagine this : the exhaust-gas turbine in the turbocharger is, in itself, an "energy recovery" device ... spinning the turbine from (otherwise wasted) heat in the exhaust. Historically, that turbine has performed the relatively "dumb" function of mechanically spinning a compressor on the intake side of the motor ... but it doesn't need to stay that dumb ;)

Why not have the exhaust turbine spin a small alternator, to help charge the hybrid batteries ... or capacitors? The hot exhaust gases can essentially perform the same function as the brakes, converting 'otherwise-wasted heat' into 'stored electrical energy'. The stored electrical energy can then be used to spin electric drive-line motors, as in the current generation of hybrid/kers cars, OR it can also be used to spin an electric compressor on the intake side of the motor :) or both ...

In short : when you view the exhaust-gas turbine as an "energy recovery" device, whose recovered energy can be converted to electricity with very high conversion efficiency ... the classic lines between "turbo" and "hybrid" begin to disappear ...

KERS: kinetic energy recovery
    GERS: gas energy recovery

All recovered energy (KERS, GERS, etc) gets stored, electrically, in batteries or capacitors. Stored energy can then be used to spin driveline motors, and/or intake compressors ... all under "intelligent" computer control.

food for thought, maybe

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    This is similar to how combined cycle gas generation plants work but the gas turbine is the main one. They burn gas to fire that turbine and the exhaust is used to heat water for steam that drives a steam turbine. In this way, much of the energy in the exhaust heat is recaptured and used for electric generation. The trick in a car is to have more exhaust energy conversion than loss through extra weight. In addition, these systems add to the cost and complexity which reduces the reliability of the car. So I think those are the main obstacles to using such systems in high performance cars.

10. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Ahhh but ....

- we're already capturing, storing and re-deploying energy in hybrid/kers cars
    - we're already putting turbines in exhaust systems in turbo cars

So ... all the tech is essentially in-place already, to merge the technologies: capture exhaust energy, convert to electricity and store it ... for redeployment later, spinning electric motors to either augment gas engines in the driveline, and/or spinning electric motors to compress air on the intake side of the gas engine.

11. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    all i really care about is how it looks :p

if i wanted a tesla i'd buy a tesla

12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    thats how I feel

13. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    +1 million

there are these renderings of a GTC4Lusso convertible, it looks like the previous description of the new GTs looks in this thread. Nose like the the GTC4Lusso, more aggressive etc. It looks slightly longer too. I wonder if its more than just a rendering...

14. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Wait till you see the new 812 Superfast CONVERTIBLE.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I don't think so ... although that's not terrible

What we need to see is a Cali T + 812

with 2 rear lights, not 4. And no lusso parts.

17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

That's the car I wish they had been making all these years (v12 convertible, but not a limited run version so-as to keep the price sane)

18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That is THE car I want and overwhelming logic says it's coming but as production or VS?

19. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Presume most of the work was done for the F60/TRS? I'm sure it'll be spectacular.

20. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks Marcel! I can't wait to see it. Does the 812 superfast convertible come in a V12 or are they downsizing the engine to a V8? If the new GT is a smaller version of the 812 superfast convertible that might be interesting as the back would have to remain large for a retractable hardtop (assuming they are using technology similar to the Cali T).

21. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I would say you will never find a V8 in any 812

22. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I hope not!

23. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    wont that be an 808?

24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The first "8" is for 800 hp, so no 808 likely.

25. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    MGU-H unit in F1 engines does this already. Plus, it's used to accelerate the turbine/compressor spool when needed.