New GT | Page 9 | FerrariChat

New GT

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by agrun, Jul 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I thought that was the case as well but was concerned my lack of deeper knowledge would be exposed. Was in the McLaren pit recently and told that just the parts for ecah motor ran to $1.75m so clearly a bit of value engineering to be done.

2. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  3. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    It was a joke. The last two digits are for 12 cylinders. V8 808

4. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There will be an 812 Superfast Spider/Convertible/open car coming. A V12.
    Not sure about VS or standard production. But the open version 812 SF will come.
    And has zero to do with F60/TRS etc.

Marcel Massini

6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thank you Marcel. As I said, the car myself, and probably most everyone wants. Would anyone really prefer the fixed head?

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I would, because I have some preconceptions about the added weight and lost stiffness of an open top version (specially for an aluminium car that cannot rely on a carbon tub for stiffness).
    In an ideal world, being in the minority will allow me to buy a used fixed roof 812 at a bargain price two years from now, when nobody will want one anymore :)

8. davide b

davide b Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2007
    montecarlo
    Full Name:
    davide
    Will be probably a LE version

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My bet too, longer run and bigger price......

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Your preconceptions about aluminum vs carbon tub for stiffness are inaccurate. Just as a heads up

11. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Interesting you wouldn't know my CalifTHS was a cab if you drove it the way I do.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I am curious to get more information about that, my feeling is that carbon is far stronger than aluminium and that to achieve a similar level of stiffness with aluminium a closed shell (i.e. a body with a roof) is mandatory.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Drooling....

but drooling about what this new GT could be as well!

Lots of interesting thoughts about hybrid, turbo, etc. I say lets see the whole package Ferrari comes up with. They often find ways of doing things that are more interesting than others.

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I would. I see no advantage in a convertible supercar. I even picked a coupe E-Type, even though one could argue that classics are meant as cruisers. :D

15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am in the minority clearly but as an Ultra Grand Tourer, the convertible would be more suitable for the realities of today's roads. And then there's always the sort of similar fixedhead in the garage.....

16. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I've heard the new Cali replacement (won't be a Cali) will be unveiled this September and will start out as a coupe, with a convertible to follow.

17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.
    The other way round.
    Successor of California (with a new name) will be presented in Portofino, Italy, Friday 7th September 2017.
    The week after it will be officially unveiled at the International Frankfurt Motor Show IAA.

Marcel Massini

18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Could be the other way round is what I hear but could be either.

Here's a thought: what if the new car, which we know is more Ferrariesque, more masculine, more beautiful started as a convertible with all the practicality we have all enjoyed with a Cali, and then spawned a slightly cheaper but even more beautiful fixed head and used the extra space created by omitting the roof to heighten and lengthen the roofline at the rear and maybe create an even more beautiful, less compromised car with more space in the rear, a mini Lusso?

You would then have a proper model line, just like the 488, fixedhead and Spider, but with the fixedhead being a little more practical, all of which plays into the line they are promoting about a new GT and would also open the way to a Cali, not what is will be called obviously, VS?

I look forward to Portofino.

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I will break it down like this...

The material doesn't make something better.

The proper use of the material is what is beneficial.

A poorly designed carbon fiber car vs a perfectly designed balsa wood car the balsa wood car can win.

People put too much into the materials and not proper engineering

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You might as well be in the majority Tim. All I am saying is that more weight, a flexy chassis, wind buffeting and a sunburn is not my idea of motoring. :)

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Engineering is paramount, but ceteris paribus, materials make a difference. There is a reason that the LF is made out of CF...

22. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I don't think Ferrari would develop it if it had a flexi chassis somehow, those days are over and we know they are at the top of their game; they did a pretty good job with the 599 Aperta after all. Strangely enough, my favourite time to use a convertible is crisp Autumnal days, seat heaters on, heating set to mono, never in the summer, and just imagine what it would sound like at 9,000 revs......

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not flexy per se, but certainly flexier than the coupe as the 488 GTB vs Spider demonstrate. Still, not a deal breaker for many, but compromising a supercar (a machine that's supposed to be without compromise) is not my cup of tea.

I agree on these Autumn, or Spring for that matter, al fresco days though. Either on those days, or during a summer night is the only time I open up the sunroof in my other cars. I like sunroofs; they give you a bit of air without any real compromise.

24. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    100% agree. 12cyl spider is the ultimate GT here.

(yet I don't think I'm worthy of that list. Maybe after buying another car or two)

25. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Understand that some prefer the coupes but personally I've always preferred convertibles. The flex is, these days, pretty much a non-issue except on really bad roads when it's slightly noticeable. Maybe on the limits of performance it might be a factor but that I'm afraid is way beyond my driving skills so doesn't come into play. Like Tim, on a nice autumn or spring day top down is my favourite way to drive. My last driving holiday in NZ - in two weeks of long distance driving in my aperta, I think I had my top up for maybe 2-3 hours. Loved driving fast on windy, hilly roads with little to no traffic and stunning scenery.