New GT3 RS doesn’t make sense | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New GT3 RS doesn’t make sense

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by SVanDyck, Aug 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cadeaux

Cadeaux Karting

May 23, 2022
    My 296 came in near $500k with the fiorano pack, I couldn't believe it. The fiorano pack + stripe alone are nearly $70k ontop of the base price which I've heard rumors went up again to $333k on here? Last I heard it was $321k, but hey we get free apple car play now.

Overall yes you are right, but when G wagons are $300k the $500k for a GT3RS figure doesn't sound insane. What is insane is the engine in a $500k car, the 765 mclaren has an insane one, the 296 does as well, porsche could have done more, maybe gotten power close to the previous gen GT2RS

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That would have required turbocharging and/or hybridisation.

LARRYH and Chris GT3 like this.
  3. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    The 458 has no chance... Even my 991.2 GT3 MT smokes my 458 at the track (granted I use Cup2s in the Porsche and PS 4S for the 458).

This impressive 992 RS will assasin pretty much anything out there (except probably some MLs and the Pista). I think it's the ultimate track weapon and the aerodynamics are mind blowing. I love that Porsche is not increasing the power, but rather focusing on other things that are even more impactful.

LARRYH, Wikdstrate, LVP488 and 4 others like this.
  4. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    like i said 310 sticker for the RS is worth every penny in today's world. But 500k? 500k gets u an lp750SV (yes one just sold yesterday), lp700 + .2 gt3, f12+458, even .2 3rs + 458 or a gt2rs+f430...maybe even a speciale if you wait 6 months lol

5. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The other big issue about using it on track: not many folks - even here - can afford to write off a $300K + car. And if you're doing more than just parade laps on the track, that becomes a very real possibility.

6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said

Petrolhead#32 likes this.
  7. SLC4S

SLC4S Karting

Jun 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Its interesting... I was in the market and waiting for an allocation for a 992 Porsche when it clicked that with all the goofy markets the Ferrari Roma was about the same price. Here in Los Angeles I see what seems to be 15-30 911s every single day and I think I've seen one Roma on the road. Just a more special car and with markups on the P car and MSRP order on my Roma I find myself here.

8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Rear wing is hideous but I don’t know why I love this car..

9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Hideous to you but phenomenal to me :p

jpalmito likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 458 won't come close to the new GT3 RS even with same tires.

Boomhauer, Wikdstrate and F2003-GA like this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    don't be so sure. the GT3 RS was developed with only track on the mind, the 296 even with assetto fiorano didn't have track on their mind, because Ferrari guys don't track. they started to track in the 2010's when Driver Education events took off, but their fragile egos took a beating when out classed by 120 hp Miatas.

technom3, boxerman, sainthoo and 4 others like this.
  12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It is ridiculous, but somehow cool. It serves a function. Porsche to the core.

I like that Porsche is using innovative features to wring more performance from the 911. It’s different than the usual horsepower wars, and seems like it may allow the GT3 RS to push the limits. On a real track, downforce and stability are much more intriguing than added horsepower. I’m interested to see what a really competent driver can do with this car.

Granted none of us (definitely myself) will likely reach those limits, but as someone posted earlier we all love cars that make no sense. Kudos to Porsche for bending physics to its will.

And no, I’ll never get an allocation or be motivated to spend $500k on the GT3 RS.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Boomhauer and jpalmito like this.
  13. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yep and that’s why I elected the 992 TS.

14. market-reasearch

Silver Subscribed

Jul 21, 2021
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    D. Gabathuler
    What would really make sense is, one of the sports car brands making a 1200kg and 500HP drivers car. Today‘s sports cars are all too heavy and come with tons of power to compensate but they still feel slow despite the drag times.

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Most probably the 296 will be able to use is huge power advantage to compensate for its inferior ability on most tracks (as soon as there are some straights, power will speak) but on short tracks with multiple corners the GT3 RS may still win.
    The fact that many Porsche drivers are better track drivers than most Ferrari drivers is a different topic, it does not necessarily reflect the car's capacities.
    At Dijon (arguably a very fast track that favors power) I was very proud to beat the times of probably equally skilled Porsche GT3 / GT3 RS (of course not this latest 992 GT3 RS) week-end drivers with my 488 GTB; but I think it tells more about the car's efficiency than about my own skills.
    In many cases in the past the 488 GTB could outperform the GT3 or GT3 RS when driven on same tracks by the same professional drivers (Le Mans Bugatti with Christophe Tinseau, or the lap record at the Las Vegas Exotics Racing track) - of course the new GT3 RS is a step further but so is the 296 (even though the 296 relies more on raw power than on actual technical refinement).
    Btw a GT3 RS (as any Ferrari road car) would certainly have a tough time against a real race car with a lot less power; I'm not that familiar with Miatas but a Caterham would certainly give it a run for its money...
    At Spa my lap time with the 488 is significantly better than with my 135 hp Caterham, but data analysis shows that in some places (not the ends of the straight lines obviously) I have actually more speed with the Caterham.

16. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Looks like the 992 GT3 RS is going to lap the Silverstone GP Circuit around the same time as a Mclaren Senna.

17. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Why it is made and why people use it are two different things. As far as who buys the car that is irrelevant but yes given the majority won't be tracked I understand your remark.

But a lot of really bad info here.

Ferrari make street cars that can be tracked quite well. Porsche GTs are track cars that can be street-ed. The biggest difference between the two is suspension and brakes. Ferrari brakes SUCK on track. Terrible to dangerous- I won't give you anecdotes, just look at some of the threads.

Suspension is a joke- too soft. Just follow any Ferrari on track and you'll instinctively shake your head- the amount of roll is mind boggling. The Porsche GTs have real track suspensions, why they are just planted. And wing!

And the wing is not about 120+ mph it is about under 120 mph. Being able to crank the hell out of downforce where you need it and then not pay the penalty on the straights both top end and then having wing to help brake- PRICELESS!!! (HP is irrelevant- lap times are not made on the straights.) My God an F8 can't even keep up with a Dot 1 RS.....

And.... you get to play with damper settings on the steering wheel. Phenomenal car. Wish I still tracked.

I don't think the Porsche Turbo (non S) would have any problems with a 296 or F8 for that matter on track. Don't even think about the 992s.

But who will buy it? Posers.

Shame.

Wikdstrate, boxerman and Chicko like this.
  18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

If you are serious about tracking a GT3 cup car would make a lot more sense. Plus it would be faster, safer and cheaper.

Gh21631, Wikdstrate and zygomatic like this.
  19. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I could have sworn my track mechanic told me a new cup car was half a million with $70k engine rebuild every 100 hrs.

Regardless, even with the 100k ADM the 992 GT3 RS is a bargain when compared to similarly priced but the rather pedestrian-performance Ferraris on track.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Don't know how accurate this is but it is more what I had heard..GT4 cars $250K ish, GT3 cars $500K ish. I think GTE cars are more like $750K.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelharley/2022/02/23/did-you-know-that-porsche-will-sell-you-a-race-car/?sh=7ad580764d19

21. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #46 Frank_C, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    They’re asking for a 100k check to spec GT cars & 40-75 for Turbos. The latter especially can be whittled down depending upon your trade in. I shopped around my Dot 1 RS for a Turbo S and it would jump me to the next in line, but still with a (negotiable) premium.

I don’t do premiums or buy a used or new car to get something else- not even in the Ferrari dark days of a couple decades ago.

Full disclosure- I did buy my wife a 22 C8 vette convertible they had in the local dealership for 10 over. But that was a gift for her- she had wanted one for over 40 years. I don’t feel that is being hypocritical as that is what she wanted and she has never asked me for any car. Not a car I like or want (although after driving it I was impressed as to the bang for the buck).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Wikdstrate and boxerman like this.
  22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hopefully not a repost... just staggering but would love to see actual numbers.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Define better.
    If you go to the track and can drive on track the Gt3 Rs is the one to beat. Ferraris dont go to the track, apparently the use and mileage destroys resale.

Bullfighter likes this.
  24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Turbo vs not turbo. Easy to get lots of hp from a turbo, no so great on track. Porche didnt design this car for the pose, its meant to be a track weapon.
    In the past year Ive seen 1 ferrari 458 on track once, and one Maclren 765. Otherwise, half the cars you see are porches of some sort and there are always a plethora of Gt3 and Gt4 variants.

The present and future of high performance driving is the track, on street modern cars are simply too capable and it s too much of a risk to go anywhere near their limits, other than short acceleration bursts.

Porche build Gt cars for the road, and pincale street legal track weapons. Occasionally Maclaren kncks one out, but then you have 15k in dealer service fees each time, and Ferraris, well the pista is theoretically great but I know of no one who tracks one.

Porches are still built for drivers. Looks like the new z06 may be in the same vein too.

PCA runs numerous track days per month, its really an active group. In short its a different more driver focused clientele than Ferrari and the others. If you know how to drive then 500hp is more than plenty for the track and it would take years to fully expoit a Gt3 assuming one had the talent.. 800 hp is actually unusable.

Ferraris Macklrens, ,lambos, they're for some other market, track drivers is not their focus at all, Gt series porches they own that market. Porche seems to be doing really well with what they're making.

Bullfighter likes this.
  25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Thank you, well put.