New Guy - Moving to Italy - Want to Buy First Ferrari - Thoughts? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Guy - Moving to Italy - Want to Buy First Ferrari - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bulletpruf, Dec 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks, Ross. I appreciate the offer.

I know a little about VAT -- I expect to be exempt from VAT in Italy because of my status as active duty U.S. military stationed in Italy. I could go to Germany on leave and purchase a car there and apparently not have to pay VAT. I wasn't able to find anything specific on Switzerland, but if I had to pay it looks like the VAT is 8% -- not nearly as bad as elsewhere.

Scott

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Not sure if this discussion is relevant, but nevertheless:
    Be reminded that there is no VAT on second hand cars sold anywhere inside the European Union: VAT is paid only once (and for all) when the car is sold new to its first buyer.
    VAT would not be applicable to a german car, or a swedish car, or a belgian car, etc...sold second hand (= at least six months after its sale as a new car) in any other European Union country.
    When you pay for a second-hand car in any country in the European Union, the price as announced (and paid) does NOT include any VAT, because it has already been paid when the car was sold new.

However, VAT would have to be paid on a car entering the European Union, for instance coming from Switzerland, because Switzerland is not member of the EU.

Rgds

3. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that.

Scott

4. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    No matter how much you could work on the car you have to consider how few and small the garages are over there. Does the base at Napals have a service center you can use? I may PCS to Vencenza next year.

5. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I don't think it has a Auto Skills Center. Need to check.

The villas in the area where I am looking often have decent sized garages.

Thanks

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hello Scott,

A few thoughts based on the unknown; are both you and your wife currently in the ROK and will be transferring directly to Italy? Or do you need to go stateside to ship your household goods? If the latter, does the DOD still pay to ship at least one POV overseas and back? If so, would it make more sense to buy your Ferrari here first.

When the Air Force sent me to Holland for three years during the mid '80s I took my TR8 conv with me but had to stop by my Dad's house in NJ to pick it up (one year storage while I was at Suwon).

Or, as an alternative and after you're settled in, make an adventure of finding a gem or two somewhere in Europe (barnfind?), the associated road trips and people you'll meet will be memorable to say the least.

7. Reddol

Reddol Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    Italy
    Prices for cars between 20 and 30 years old might see substantial drops very soon.
    In Italy cars are automatically considered historic after 30 years, after which it is not required to pay a tax (bollo) proportional to KW but only a fixed small tax which changes for each region but is in the order of 30€.

Until now it was possible to obtain the same exemption for some cars between 20 and 30 years old eligible as "vehicles of historic interest".
    The new budget law which is about to be approved will delete this possibility, meaning that a car like a 348 which required to pay only 30€ until now will end up paying over 800€, each year.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You don't fit in a 308/328.
    You cannot afford to keep a 348 that you bought for $30K. The first engine out will kill the deal.
    That leaves the 456.
    Best of luck and have fun.

9. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wade -

Yes, we're both in the ROK now. Will be heading to Italy on PCS leave and will go through CONUS. Our HHGs are stored at Ft Benning, GA; we'll spend a day or two there to take care of HHG shipment.

DoD will ship one vehicle to Italy -- wife's SUV (2013 Infiniti SUV) is going on that ticket.

Will probably wait until I'm on the ground and settled in to find something.

Thanks,

Scott

10. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well, that's bad news for Italians with 20-30 year old cars, but good news for me. Should impact 348 and 456 prices.

Thanks for the input.

Scott

11. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, I'm likely too big for the 208/308/328.

Actually, I can afford to keep the 348 that I would buy for $30k. Don't mistake my budget for the limits of my disposable income. And the first engine out would be done in my garage, something I'm certainly capable of doing.

Thanks for the input.

Scott

12. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Still looking, but have narrowed things down a bit -

-Fiat Dino Coupe, preferable 2.4

-Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

-Dino/Ferrari 308 GT4

Think I can get into all of these for $30k US. Certainly can do so on the Alfa. Can get a nice Fiat Dino for that price. And I'm seeing some 308 GT4's in that range, too. I'm not a huge fan of the GT4's looks, but appears to have enough interior room for me and and I like the idea of a 3.0 V8. It should pull a lot harder than the Fiat Dino or GTV 1750.

Thanks

Scott

13. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Scott,

AD military here - US Army. Good luck with the search!! I have a 308 QV but have only been in the US.

Keep in mind that you will have one car that is tax exempt. If you use that for your wifes SUV then you will have to pay the full road tax on any other car you might have. The road taxes are very high in my experience compared to what we pay in the states. My 1.6L BMW road taxes ran about 500 euro per year. I would expect a 3.0L engine to run probably in the 1500-2000 per year range. That may or may not factor into your decision, but would make a difference for me.

As far as your current choices - the GT4s are seeing a LOT of movement lately. They are a great drivers car by all accounts. I have not driven one to date to compare with my QV though. At 30k I might expect some roughness with the car. The market really has blown up with all the 3X8 variants.

If I can help in any way please send me a PM.

PDG

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When I lived in Southern France in the mid 80s', I had a 308 GTB. I thought it was probably the worst car ever made for living in Europe. The turning radius is bad, no power steering so you couldn't park even many times in parking garages and never on the street, it seemed like it would barely fit through many city streets, and kids with moto's ride up and circle you all the time.

Then, it ate gas like crazy and service was more expensive than the US.

I loved the car. I just felt it was out of it's element.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but owning an older F car in Europe takes some compromises to your wallet, your life style, and your patience.

15. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Think FIAT. Narrow streets and motor scooters galore. No the place for a Ferrari. Same for Rome.

16. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The prices on 308 GT4s are all over the map, but I do see some that are within reach.

Didn't know that's how the road taxes worked. My GTO convertible is a 7.6 liter (455 .030); that wouldn't be cheap!

Thanks,

Scott

17. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I can do without power steering. Not fun when parking, but do-able.

I'm ok with sh*tty gas mileage, too.

Plan to do my own service, but cost of parts is a minor concern.

Thanks for the input.

Scott

18. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As mentioned earlier, I'll be living and working outside Naples -- 35 km N/NW. Don't think it will be as bad as Naples proper.

Thanks

Scott

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You've never parallel parked a 308 on a sidewalk in Italy. Trust me-- no fun at all.

Europe was generally not made for cars.
    My strong suggestion is go there, rent a car for a month, and then see if you can tolerate an exotic in your budget or lifestyle.

It sounds oh so romantic until it's a pain in your bottom.

20. Sfiga

Sfiga Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    I wouldn't worry about the mafia... I've seen a thug in front of a supermarket car park forcing people to pay him 2 Euro or he'll smash their car when it's parked (that's Napoli). It's a dodgy place to have a Ferrari. Checkout your surroundings when you get their before buying.

21. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    What country where you in? When I was in Germany I had 3 vehicles, had them registered via US Army and didn't pay taxes.

I just got my USAA insurance quotes for Italy, damn.

22. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I'm taking my 308 to Vincenza in May, but I will be able to have a place with two car garage.

23. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I was in Belgium. Its all written in the SOFA which may have changed quite a bit. I left in December 2008.

PDG

24. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Each country is different, I'll double check with Italy.

25. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    You can register up to 3 cars in Italy with the Armed Forces, no Italian taxes, which is good as the ins rates are high and include an Italian tax in them.