New Injectors - The Bleeding Edge | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Injectors - The Bleeding Edge

Discussion in '308/328' started by Archer911, Jun 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tim just a thought, from the video, it sounds like not all cylinders are firing, I say tist because two weeks ago my car was miss firing and coughing a lot during idle, during acceleration, and on steady speed, it was really bad, anyway to make the long story short, it turns out that my Digiplex were both bad and when I swapped it for another set of Digiplex boxes, the car ran like new and smooth in all action, idle, acceleration, and at steady speed. So, you may want to check your Digiplex by unplugging the harness, check it, then plug it back in and see if that makes a difference. This Digiplex also commonly to go bad, just saying.

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "You do realize that Stabil is 95% heating oil."

Ah, but what about the other 5% which turns heating oil into stabilizer? :)

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Bourbon.

4. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    It definitely sounds to me like you have a cylinder or two not firing... Is it possible that you now have a fowled plug or two? I've found that I've fixed the primary concern only to have it overshadowed by the secondayry issues it caused... I had a loose plug connection on the 3.2 Carrera and when I pulled the plug it was a mess. So, even getting the cap seated didn't really help. After I pulled the plug and cleaned it all was better. Just a thought... F

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Is it possible that you now have a fowled plug or two?"

Yeah, chickens in the system would definitely clog it! :)

Sorry..couldn't resist... ;)

FrannyB likes this.
  6. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Mike:

I was wondering if someone could diagnose an issue from the soundtrack. YES on suspicions about the two Digiplex units. My biggest concern stems from the incident when I left the Independent Ferrari Service shop and was nearly killed on the highway 4 miles later. They sent me out of there with a fried voltage regulator that spiked the system voltage above 20 volts. It blew a list of things (speedo, clock, burned wires, 11 bulbs—4 of which exploded behind the lenses) before the protection relay shut me down at 65mph in heavy traffic. I've always wondered if the ECU and Digiplexes were affected by that. The thing is the car actually ran well for a couple hundred miles after I made repairs myself.

I haven't found anyone who rebuilds Digiplexes (ECUs yes) but do understand electronic versions are available from places like Nick Forza. Did you consider going with an electronic version before sourcing other Digiplexes?

The other item of interest is that I remember reading about someone pulling the vacuum line off the manifold that goes to the Digiplexes and plugging it. I believe he said that changes the timing. I tried that today just for the hell of it. Well the RPM went up by about the same amount as blipping the throttle does as shown in my video. I wonder if there is some correlation?

7. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah, with all the shenanigans that have been going on inside the engine over the past few weeks I bet there is a dirty plug or two. The plugs have only been in for a few hundred miles but considering the rough running and my flooding the engine I expect they are not clean. Time to pull some plugs!

8. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That would be barbecued chickens at this point.

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I think things are getting way ahead of themselves. I can't say much about the backfire or miss, but from the video it doesn't seem to be doing it at the higher idle after the throttle is blipped. At least I don't hear it. As for the higher idle, all I can say is my car has done that since new. In fact, on a cold start, if I don't blip the throttle it will often stall on a cold start. Once the throttle is blipped the RPM settles in somewhere between 2 and 3k RPM until the coolant temp comes up, then it drops down to around 1k and hunts a little. I can't say if that is normal, but all majors on my car have been done by the dealer or by a highly regarded indi who worked for the dealer when I bought my car back in '85, and for the first 5 years everything was done at the dealer.

I won't make this a suggestion as Tim already commented on it, but if it's only popping at the 1k idle speed, if it were my car I'd definitely get it out on the road and see what happens. But that's just me.

10. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Pulled the plugs. All have sooty, chimney like black depositions ( like Dick Van Dyke in Marry Poppins) but nothing remarkable.

EXCEPT!!!

The left bank, the cylinders adjacent to the firewall, had soot easily removed, almost wet, whereas the right bank, had the same soot deposition that is baked on and needs to be chipped off. Is this a clue? I have more questions than answers but it is very interesting.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim

Mike, a follow up here. Granted I fall into the category of knowing just enough to be dangerous but as you have replaced your Digiplex units what do you make of this?
    What I find interesting is this replicated a similar condition as blipping the throttle.
    It's as if once the car get's more gas it stays at that plateau. There must be a component failure not allowing the engine to return to idle.

Tim

12. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tim, disconnecting the vacuum hose to the Digiplex should increase the RPM as it advances the ignition timing by around 4-5 deg. but jumping from 1000 to 2500 RPM is quite a bit. This shouldn’t have nothing to do with not allowing the idle to return unless something is binding between the throttle cable and the linkage which it did happen to me but that’s another story. If there’s only a way you could borrow a pair of the Digiplex, would help us a lot as far as where to go next.

Just FYI, Ferrari service of Bedford in NH do repair them and/or make new ones for you.

Saabguy likes this.
  13. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Certainly suggests that something different is going on with combustion between the two banks. Process of elimination: air, fuel, or spark. Uneven air delivery to the front vs rear bank seems the least likely given the single throttle body and shared intake plenum. As we discussed separately, it certainly could be uneven fuel delivery from the fuel distributor, however, given that each cylinder has its own dedicated fuel line from the distributor it would be odd for the distributor to be out of balance in a pattern that clearly discriminated the front from rear bank. Since the 308 has separate digiplex boxes for each bank I'm suspicious that one may be functioning differently from the other. Tim have you put a timing light on the primary wires from the coils to the distributors as well as each of the plug wires and confirmed even signal?

14. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks Mike, I will call Bedford first thing on Monday.

15. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ettore, I have't done a timing light test (don't have one yet) but certainly will as you suggest. Too bad there's not a diagnostic tool available to fit into that plug. As Mike suggests I will call Bedford. Thanks again.

16. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tim, this is what they said when I told them my Digiplex are bad and if I could send it to them and here’s their email address: [email protected] (603) 493-1696

“Hi Mike,

Yes, you can send us the boxes.
    The testing fee is $300 for the pair, plus return shipping
    However, If the boxes test bad, we’ll waive the testing fee.
    A pair of remanufactured boxes is currently $2,460/pair, including return shipping to you.
    As I might have mentioned, the only component we reuse is the case. All of the electronics, including the connector, are new!
    We’re out of town until Monday...

Thank you.
    Best,
    David”

17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The best way to clean plugs is with a propane torch. The only thing better would be new plugs.

An easy way to find a misfiring cylinder is to run the engine from cold for 1 minute. Then touch the exhaust manifolds at each cylinder close to the ports on the head. If you can hold your finger there, then that cylinder is misfiring.

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Probably pointless to post this but as I said before, I don't think you can conclude anything about the fast idle unless you let the engine come up to temperature and it continues to run fast. From your video it appears the engine is cold and from the manual,

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I think by blipping the throttle you are just engaging the fast idle device, or have I missed something?

19. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nah, it never acted that way when the car ran right.

20. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Holy Hell $2460! I'm in the wrong business but need to have them tested so....

miketuason likes this.
  21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Why do you believe it was "running right" before? Without knowledge of how these cars behaved when new, how do you know what "right" is? :)

DYing is great but there comes a time when throwing parts at a car that don't achieve the desired result becomes the wrong path to follow. I don't blame you for not following my advice. I don't follow advice from FChat without independently verifying its validity, so I can hardly expect anyone to follow mine. :)

22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Fast idle is likely the plunger getting stuck at a slightly higher than the correct idle position. Get the fault to show up then see if there is play in the air vane movement. Play meaning that the air vane moves slightly without touching the plunger. In correct operation, the plunger should follow the air vane all the way to the closed position.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Has the cold start valve been disconnected or disabled?

24. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I will certainly look into this. This is the first time that this has happened, but a lot has changed including a new WUR, multiple components in the air injection circuit, etc. Monday I will be back on this. I'll need to study the operation of the fuel distributor some if the Bosch fuel injection book I ordered ever arrives.
    One thing I want to try is removing a different vacuum line, like the one going to the charcoal canister, and see if the idle spikes like it did when I removed the line going to the Digiplexes.

25. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah that's been unplugged since the beginning.