New Injectors - The Bleeding Edge | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Injectors - The Bleeding Edge

Discussion in '308/328' started by Archer911, Jun 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I never heard of cleaning plugs with a propane torch. It wouldn't have any affect on carbon deposits though I suppose it might burn off oil...or turn it into carbon deposits! ;) Back in the day there were spark plug cleaning machines that did a decent jobs and generally could make spark plug replacement into an "every other tuneup" but I haven't seen one of those for many years...sort of like Sun distributer machines.

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    All the carbon will burn off with a torch. The problem with the machines that used an abrasive is that some of the abrasive material gets stuck in the plug, and needs to be cleaned out as well.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Unplugged? I'm talking about the cold start air valve, not the cold start injector. Part #30.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Never mind.
    Let's see. 1 oz of Stable per 2.5 gallons of gas. 2.5 gallons = 320 oz so that 0.3% Stabil times 5% mystery ingredient = 0.0015% mystery ingredient. Got to be some powerful stuff. And then the tell you make sure the tank 95% full to avoid condensation. I wonder what the real problem is. :rolleyes:

5. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Oh you must mean the :"additional air valve" aka "auxiliary air valve" which I tested that and it seems to be working fine.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, and that opens when the car is cold and whether the cold start injector is connected or not, it lets more air in and increases RPM at idle. From the Bosch CSI book;

Tim, if that is not the issue then it's not. Believe me I would like to see you get your car running. It seems you have thrown so many parts at it: fuel pump, filter, dizy caps, plug wires, WUR, injectors, and now you are talking about sending out the digiplex units for testing and having the new WUR and fuel distributor rebuilt. It just seems to me that you aren't getting the results you need or want. I can't help but think you might be chasing the wrong dog, if you know what I mean.

7. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You must have me confused with someone else.
    My fuel pump was shot
    My fuel filter was from another decade
    Both of my distributor caps were cracked
    My extenders had holes
    My plug wires were mutilated at the distributors
    My injectors were original
    etc, etc, etc.

I know you have the perfect car having bought it new and meticulously maintained it. I know you can copy and paste from previous posts and on-line literature.
    I also know that your on-line etiquette is of a belittling nature and I find it rather irritating. But that's just me.

So know that I won't respond to your posts any longer. Go ahead, have the last word. Teach me a lesson so all can see that you know all and see all. Have fun.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well here is my last word. I sincerely hope you get the car straightened out.

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  9. badkarma308

badkarma308 Karting

Aug 5, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    So before you send your boxes out for testing, try swapping them and see if your fouled plug condition migrates to the other side.

10. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I considered that but didn't want to stress the engine. Took the conservative route and sent them for testing. Results on Monday.

11. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
  12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    So no updates on WUR, FD, or digiplexs (I read you sent then out too, for testing, in another thread)?

13. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    UPDATE:

The Digiplex units tested as within spec so they are back and I will plug them back in, however once I get the car working I will replace them with the Forza units.

The Warm Up Regulator AND Fuel Distributor that I sent to CIS Flowtech failed and are being rebuilt. It could be some time before I get them back.

In the meantime I am replacing the wiring harness in the driver's door as it has been totally mutilated by the assss-wipe stereo/alarm installer who worked on the car a long time ago.

14. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Sounds like you're getting close to getting this resolved, great news! Can you share what CIS Flow tech identified as the failure with the fuel distributor and WUR. Cold vs. Warm control vs system pressures out of balance? Distributor port flows uneven? Inquiring minds want to know

Sent from my SM-G900V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No details yet. I expect they will come when I get the parts back.

16. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Understood.

Tim, I'm curious if you were you able to test fuel pressures before you sent the distributor and WUR off. I think I remember you mentioning that you had a CIS fuel pressure tester en route. Just wondering if that exercise gave any hints to the failures that CIS Flow tech discovered.

17. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I did get the tester but had already removed the FD so that was that.

To be honest at this point (so much time has passed), after what this car cost me and how I got ripped off by the service creeps, I just want to drive it.

If someone offered me an envelope of ferry dust and told me to sprinkle on the car so that it would drive I probably would try it.

I will certainly pass on any info I get on the tests/rebuild.

18. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    I hear you loud and clear.

I look forward to the day you finally get to enjoy that car. Don't give up!

Archer911 likes this.
  19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Bump. I read in another thread that you got the FD back. Was wondering if, on this beautiful rainy week end in NE , you managed to get things back together and what the out come was.

20. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Posted this yesterday in the wrong thread so here's a repeat. Hope this helps someone some day.

308 Update:
    Runs great. Drove it for nearly two hours today, through miserable stop and go traffic as well as at speed on the highway. Didn't miss a single beat.

Rewind 2 weeks ago: After installing the rebuilt FD and WUR it still didn't run right so I took it to Tony Ferrari of Autohaus Boston in Braintree, MA. Tony called me the next day and said the problem was a leaking seal on the distributor shaft. The oil collected in the cap would would splash around and interfere with the the electrical contacts causing the back bank to misfire. He said once he wiped out the oil and put the cap back on the car ran great.

Rewind almost 2 years: When I got the car back from a major service (NOT Tony) It left me stranded twice. I found that the reason was 2 cracked distributors and a leaking distributor shaft seal on the back bank. The coil wires had also been compromised and the extenders had holes. I changed both shaft seals, put on new distributors, wires, etc, and the car ran great...until this Spring when the misfires started (the leak had resulted in enough oil collecting in the cap).

In hindsight I should have opened up both caps and looked for oil. I was lazy and thought since there was no oil leaking from the caps there was no problem there. I was wrong and could have saved myself a lot of grief had I been more thorough. The good news is I found an honest, highly skilled Ferrari Master Tech.

While the car was at AutoHaus I asked Tony to replace all the suspension bushings and a few other items. I couldn't be happier with the work and would recommend Tony to any of you guys.

Thanks for the advice you all gave me on trying to fix my car. In the end I replaced many failed components in the engine compartment and updated many others. I learned more about my 308 than I ever thought possible. Necessity is a great motivator.

miketuason and thorn like this.
  21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Glad to hear that all is well. Maybe now you won't be pissed at me for my comment about chasing the wrong dog. :)

Enjoy the car. With all you have done you should have many thousands of trouble free miles ahead.