New Key from China | FerrariChat

New Key from China

Discussion in '612/599' started by TrojanFan, Nov 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Just received a new key from China. $66 delivered vs. whatever Ferrari would charge. Its the same TRW metal key blank and the electronics are reported to be the same. Now I have to see if I can program it. I have access to software that reads my current 612 programing and is supposed to be able to program new keys. I'll post the results. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Anthony James and Makuono like this.
  2. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    looks good, hope it works out.

3. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Looks great! what color is the original key? mine is silver

4. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    Who did you buy it from and how do you get access to the software? Worth trying for mine as I only have one set...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My original is silver as well but this looked like a reasonable replacement.

6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Key was off eBay.

Software was from someone on FChat. Discussed heavily on one of the other forums, maybe it was the 360 one. Don't recall at the moment. In any case it was Ferrari diagnostics software that you can read with an OBD II plug and software downloaded to a tablet. Many were skeptical but it has been used for setting the clutch and other applications by others. There is a feature that reads the key program and will program new keys, like something up to 6 of them. Problem is it erases your original program first and then reprogram the keys. If it doesn't work, I'll be left without a working key.

I may give it a try sometime next month. Planning to take the car to Vegas and I don't want to be without any key.

7. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    Hi Peter,

Just want to see how did your new key go cos I'm thinking of replacing my key as well. Thanks

8. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I had the new key cut and thst part works fine. I haven't gotten around to trying the programming part yet.

9. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Not bad looking. Pretty similar to the original

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Very interested to hear the outcome as I know the key from the dealer is over $1,000.

My experience with the key is that it has a little "bean" inside that had to be within a specific range for the car at hand. At the time that I needed an extra key for my 612, I didn't have the Ferrari software. Now I do and am interested to find out if this little key "bean" is more generic than originally anticipated. If so, it should program and work.

The software is available on the $20K + Leonardo scanner. That I know for certain. I own the Autel elite scanner (more like $3K) and it shows the function for the Ferrari's but I have yet to test it).

I need an additional key for my 2013 FF project and will take this route if you are successful. Please report back!

11. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Also, can you post the listing off ebay. The only one I show is a traditional key that gets machines one the outside of the blade, vs the inside. Perhaps they just have the wrong picture up and it ships properly (as it sayd 612, FF, etc.).

Thanks.

12. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    OK, found the one for the FF with the proper blade and ordered it. I will let you guys know (when I finally get my electronic code for programming), how it works and whether the Autel Elite can program it or if you need the more purpose built, $20K+ scanner (Leonardo or Dealer version).

13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Still waiting to program my key. Having belt service later this month and will try the programing after that.

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You do not actually program the key. You erase the memory in the Alarm ECU and then program the Alarm ECU to accept new keys.

15. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Either way I hope it works. Hate to erase the original and then find I can't program the new ones.