New Laptop Help | FerrariChat

New Laptop Help

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Juice It, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Since tech support has had me on hold for a while I thought I might try here. I just got a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a widescreen monitor and the icons and normal websites like ebay are either so small it is too hard to read or to large so picture of cars, etc. are stretched out just like a widescreen tv. There is no good in between unless I am messing around with the wrong adjustment. I am on the resolution properties of the monitor in the display window.Thanks

2. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    Keep the resolution and adjust the icon size and font size. If it is a new computer and you are used to a lower resolution it seems very small but give it a day or two and you'll get acustomed to it.

control panel>Display>Appearance to adjust the font size.

control panel>Display>Appearance> effects tab and check use large icons.

This will give you larger visuals and keep the desktop area.

With LCD displays you only have 1 real choice for resolution. There is a native res and then a down-sampled res (usually 800x600) which is not very sharp and just kind of funky.

Hope this helps

3. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    This should be the correct answer.
    How do you like the widescreen?

A guy at work got one and I don't like how it won't display correctly on external equipment. That and they're to big.

4. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for the help, I adjusted a few things and it is better but still a little funky. I think the widescreen will just take some time to get used to. The high resolution monitor also makes everything pretty small in its"optimal" viewing state. Enlarging the font size helps but all the pictures online as well as websites still are very small. To enlarge them stretches out the screen. I guess it will be fine, just not used to it yet.

5. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Have you enabled larger icons?