New Lusso Owner Impressions | FerrariChat

New Lusso Owner Impressions

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by dustman, Mar 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Initial impressions with a week of driving deserted mountain and flat country back roads.Less than 500 miles FWIW.
    Car is a 2018 Lusso V12, about 4K miles.

My comparisons to sports cars are just for perspective, obv Lusso is a GT not a mid engined sports car.

- Car is smaller and easier to drive than what I hear Chris Harris comment about. Maybe he’s just really short? Hood is long but great drop off and easy visibility down the front. No issues placing the car where it needs to be. No issues with car being “too wide” even on smaller back roads. I get his comment for English roads and other small EU countries and cities. Not an issue here, and it’s nearly the same width as my Tesla, so not huge by any means.
    - Nimble, perhaps overboosted steering, or too light. Would never know the true weight of the Lusso when hustling it around at 8/10ths. Seems like the rear moves a bit in an odd sensation. Maybe the AWD or the rear steering?
    - But, when really pushing it and needing to call on the carbon ceramics it’s as if the pedal does nothing to slow down all that mass. No confidence at speed that you can brake your way out of a holy shat moment.
    - Makes decent noise, but cabin mutes that out far too much. Work to be done here.
    - Damn, it gets up to speed quickly and that v12 just pulls and revs. Don’t quote me here, but it looked like 8.5k revs, and I was doing 90mph in 2nd gear.
    - Impressive interior materials, fit and finish, technology. The new screen and tech works well, even by Ferrari standards. This execution better than Mc720/570/600 series.
    - At 6’2” i can easily fit in the rear seats. Trunk very useful and holds a lot.
    - I’ll say it again, car is smaller in person than expected.
    - Not comparable but just for giggles...you have to pay far more attention to drive the Lusso hard than the Performante or 458’s, except maybe the Speciale which in my experience was always loose with those tires.
    - Overall, at 50%+ depreciated its a wonderfully well built DD if desired.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F2003-GA, MK11, amenasce and 11 others like this.
  2. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Great review and color! Your color is my favorite on the Lusso.

I hate when people say not to compare sport and GT cars.

Many sports car owners are looking for the sportiest daily drivers available.

Comparisons like yours provide others with a baseline compared to other cars one may own or have driven.

Enjoy it!

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thx. Can see this being a very good all rounder in Hawaii.

4. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Great colour, nice write up! Thanks.

As for Ceramic brakes...I love them, but you need to put more force on the pedal.

5. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    What about price? How much $

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  7. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Good write up, I’m also hunting for a v12 lusso along with my speciale. What are essential options after your 500 miles experience?

Thanks,
    Kim

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Rear camera (even though it’s not very good), heated seats, led wheel. Not much needed. I didn’t care about pano roof as my Tesla’s have it.

kimwizzzuuu likes this.
  9. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Like you I own and enjoy the v12 Lusso and the Speciale...with the 812 as well. Love the sound, luxury and sound of the V12 in the Lusso.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Monopole, IPO1, otakki and 4 others like this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013

Congratulations! Just some thoughts:

Overboosted steering is partly due to the 4WS as is the slightly odd sensation you get sometimes. Yes, it hides its weight very well on street driving.

I agree about the brakes, but I can tell you they do work effectively in street situations. I have not tracked mine, but I would imagine in their stock setup they would get soft pretty quick. I think it could just be that they are calibrated for smooth street driving.

I actually like the more quiet noise of the Lusso, it goes along with the relatively stealth vibe of the car. However, you have many great options to make the car a lot louder!

11. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Good write up....mostly agree and especially the brakes....a holy sh*t moment can turn bad quickly....my only "disagreement" is the interior finish and tech....it's OK....

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    More....

This is a car you can tool around in if desired.
    But empty back roads, really pushing it is actually quite fun. Takes a lot of focus given the mass. And thats actually rewarding. I dont know how the F12 would stay in a straight line given how challenging the Lusso is when pushed!
    Kudos to Ferrari, they nailed the brief with the Lusso.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Great write up! Agreed the cabin is too isolated! Hope you found ur exhaust !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I’ve had my Lusso for two years now and plan to keep it for a while to make annual depreciation reasonable. I have had a Speciale for 5 years and 812 for a month.

Lusso is much better and more polished than the FF but I have discovered it is very different to the 812. The Lusso is more brutish with heavier but less intuitive steering. There is much more going on with 4RM, RWS and hydraulic steering and this translates into some unnatural feelings occasionally through the wheel. The 812 seems purer, less complicated and more responsive.

But, the Lusso fills a very different role. It is a true GT and as Dustman describes, it is practical and usable very regularly - as a potential DD that can go (very) quickly it is probably peerless, in terms of performance and, crucially, excitement. It is a great addition to a Ferrari garage.

mthompson2376 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    did you try an FF before you bought the lusso?

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m considering trading my M5 and picking up a Lusso. This thread has been very helpful. The M5 is extremely quick, but I don’t feel a great sense of connection to it. I want to feel one with the car even if it’s my DD. Test driving the car next week if possible.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    try and FF also...FF isnt as soft as lusso

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I didn’t. Too many ptu stories and I wanted the newer tech and interior.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Lussos have ptu failures as well. Interior is nicer on lusso. Ff sounds is better.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Yes but less frequent per service, and newer with warranty. Interior light years above. FF is like stepping into a 360 or 599. Agree on sound inside.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    You mean the infotainment mostly i guess? Not much else different if i recall.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Whole interior. Vastly improved. Seems like 20 year upgrade. But ff has that sound and fantastic price point.

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Another spirited canyon drive...what an impressive car.
    Learning to figure out the RWS. Takes light inputs just coming out of the corner to pull back in line. Odd feeling but useful.
    What must a TDF be like in the wild....!!!!

24. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Interior is not 20 years back, it’s the same in the back and the front main difference is infotainment...ff,458,f12 thats the sale since 2012

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I enjoyed reading your well written review!