New Maser QP (v6) | FerrariChat

New Maser QP (v6)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Robb, May 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Somebody that has experienced the new Maser QP version 6 from 2014 to present give me some thoughts.

Interested in the GTS with V8... how do you grade it vs the version 5 S?

Is it a fun drive for a big car? Thoughts on quality and overall driving experience?

How are the controls and technology? Stereo?

Heard steering is good.

Welcome input.

Robb

2. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #2 Robb, May 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Personally I would stay away from the 2014 models.. every year newer got better.

With that said, I have had considerable seat time in both the TwinTurbo V6 ( SQ4) and the GTS variant over the past 2 years.

The only thing I can say the GTS has over the SQ4 model is power , otherwise to me they are identical cars. To be completely honest with you the SQ4 models performance is more than adequate. The premium you may pay for the V8 is completely up to you as to whether it would be worth it or not.

That being said there is plenty of room inside for four American males.

There's plenty of trunk space and plenty of interior storage areas.

While the technology is head and shoulders above what Maserati previously put out on the market it's still behind the curve when compared to Audi or Mercedes

This is not to say that it is not more than adequate. I really enjoyed being able to get into the car in intuitively know how to make the various functions work. Radio, air-conditioning, Nav system, etc. all without having to read the owners manual or go through a training program.

It's a big car but it never really acted like one with exception to the blind spot in the rear c-pillar area.

One thing I learned to do was connect via Bluetooth my iPhone to the head unit and use the power outlet to keep my phone charged. ( vs USB )

Overall quality is good I have not had a single visit to the service shop other than for routine maintenance. ( 10,000+ Combined miles over the two years )

One thing to consider is if you do not need all the space of the QP, you may consider a Ghibli S , I have found that to be a fun car to drive. I just wish they offered a TwinTurbo V8 GTS variant. LoL

FWIW I am pretty sure that enterprise rental car has them in their premiere collection , you may consider taking a long weekend with one.

Enjoy

4. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Andrew thanks much for your thoughts. I heard the early models had electric gremlins so the newer years would seem to be the ticket.

Glad to hear that you like it better than previous models.

The ghibli seems chopped off at the back a bit abruptly - I could never look at it as a complete design for that reason.

Robb

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #5 wrs, May 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We bought a QP GTS left over new 16 in March for $40k off sticker with 163 miles. My wife loves it and I do too. We tested the Gran Lusso with the V6 but coming from a 2014 Cayenne Turbo S, my wife and I wanted the V8 TT power. Love the car with the piano wood trim and red and black interior. It also has the Bowers and Wilkins sound system which is as good as B&O or Burmester (I had B&) in a F10 M5 and the Burmester in my 991TTS). It has take two road trips to Dallas already, really nice to ride in and the seats are comfortable. The Porsche seats were better but overall, I prefer this car as it's not a SUV and seats 4 adults in style and comfort. It's also not black, after the RR goes, no more black cars for me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    William,

Thanks for your input. That is a great looking car. I like the red. I do get the feeling that the dealers are trying to move so many cars that the huge initial discounts will apply on what they are trying to move out.

Something about the elegance of these cars that no other brand can really equal other than maybe rolls or Bentley. The Germans definitely can't pull it off.

Robb

7. Kevin2772

Kevin2772 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I cant really attest to the car, because I haven't driven it yet, but my buddy just picked up a 17 Grand Lusso Q4 yesreday. He leased it for a DD but the dealers are giving them away. 20K off sticker and .5% financing on the thing.... TONS of room inside and he got the red with black inserts interior which is beautiful. Fantastic exhaust note as well especially on start up. Very Italian sounding!

8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    That seems like a good deal.

You can get 2014 GTS used for around 55k. That is some savings... thought I heard that they had some teething pains that first year though.

Robb