New Maserati Alfieri | Page 8 | FerrariChat

New Maserati Alfieri

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by cosmicdingo, Mar 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    FF is hard on the eyes.

2. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    And Porsche is?

The new Maser SUV has the underpinnings of a Jeep. I'm assuming Jeep is like GM?

3. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Ferrari makes engines for Maserati and for Alfa Romeo, so what's the big deal if Maserati uses the basic platform chassis from a Jeep, its a great SUV and Maserati will make better (Incidentally Jeep is part of Chrysler, not GM). Also Porsche uses VW's chassis's for their SUVs, the Cayenne uses the chassis from the Toureg for example. So if its good for Porsche why wouldn't it be ok for Maserati?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    This is not true, Maserati's SUV the Lavante will use the QP/Ghibli platform and will also be built in Torino.

5. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I think that Maserati have done an excellent job so far in their brand resurgence. From the initial reboot under Ferrari's tenure to the present day, they have released beautiful designs targeted to specific customer segments and I would feel proud to own any one of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
  7. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I don't think that Maserati's poor sales are attributable to their cars, I think it's poor marketing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    Maserati's advertising seems weak and I see big geographic gaps in the dealer network. There are big swaths of the USA that are not being covered, but I don't see that changing until Maserati gets an SUV into the product mix. I am hundreds of miles from a Maserati dealer where I live, but we have thriving Audi, BMW, and Mercedes dealers. A big chunk of their sales appear to be SUVs and crossovers, however.

9. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I agree, there is literally only 1 Maserati dealer in the greater Toronto area, and it's not even in Toronto but in the suburb of Woodbridge which is northwest of the main Centre of the city. Oh correction, there is a shoebox of a showroom (no service area) opened by that dealer in downtown Toronto which is mostly closed to prevent others from opening a Maserati dealer in Toronto, a 5 million population city. As you can imagine there are many Mercedes, BMW, Audi and even Porsche dealers. The same Maserati dealer just opened a full dealer location in a city called Oakville which is about a 30 to 45 minute drive out of greater Toronto. A lot of purchasing decisions on luxury cars are made based on convenience. This is not

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I have a local maser dealer so thats not an issue for why hardly see ghibli or qp around. Lots of coupes and cabs though. And theres plenty of local advertising and low lease rates, etc. So imo, issue has to be the car itself for why local buyers prefer audi, bmw, mb to maser sedans.

11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Maserati is building an stylish alternative to the typical generic Audi/BMW/MB German sedan. Much like what Jaguar used to be, (now they look like really nice Volvos).

The fact is that many people look at a car as an appliance and are flat out intimidated by driving a Maserati because of the type of car that and the image it projects. The Audi/BMW/MB cars have followed the Lexus model of a mind numbing snooze mobile. Maseratis are cars that you drive not a car that drives you. Which many people want today.

12. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Well, though I hate to admit it, you have a point. Maybe Maserati should focus on more sports cars and 2+2 coupes in different price ranges starting at a much lower level like Porsche originally did?

13. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agree.

14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Tons of panameras in my neighborhood. Thats not a snooze mobile. People are also buying maser coupes and cabs instead of sl and 650 so not adverse to maser. I think maser sedans have missed the mark

15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    And somebody married Whoopie Goldberg too. The Panamera is like that Blind Date your best friend in college's Girl Friend fixed you up with, but would only tell you she has a great personality.

Next time your driving and you come upon a BMW/MB, look who is driving. More than likely it is a female. Audi's run about 50/50. Maseratis on the other hand are 90% male and Panameras they are 100 % far sighted.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    why are we talking SUV's in this thread again?

17. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Auto-Salon Geneva, the answer from Harald Wester on the question what will happen with the Alfieri: "First we renew the GranTurismo and the convertible, then we'll see. We want him, but it is not a simple project that also depends on the success of the Levante".

18. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Sounds very cautious. Typical Wester, I suppose.

19. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    #194 redcaruser, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm with you, a very cautious statement.

Found this picture in a German magazine under the news section titled with "Alfieri". In my eyes is this the new Granturismo/Grancabrio. We will see...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Wow, new GT first...and dependent upon (financial) success of the SUV...wow, this alfieri is far from a green light...for some reason I thought it was a go already and coming before the updated GT. The odds of this car happening are small based on my interpretation of that quote. Sigh.

21. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Yes, much more likely the new Granturismo/Grancabrio... I hope, however, that the final versions will be much, much more exciting design-wise.

22. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I understand that a small operation like Maserati must allocate its resources wisely, but I would nevertheless be very disappointed if the Alfieri gets postponed even further - or even (and I sincerely hope not) cancelled... Maserati has become a large-car company, without a single nimble, sporty, smaller car in its product spectrum.

23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I would not be suprised to see an updated Maserati GT with just a Ghibli nose and some internal upgrades as Maserati/Alfa is already behind with all the Alfa projects they keep promising. They think the SUV will save them, and it might. It is bland enough for the SUV crowd :)

24. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    If the Ghibli isn't saving Maserati by now, how in the world would they think an SUV will?

They are both new entrants in a very competitive, saturated market and their differentiation just isn't THAT distinct!

I wish Maserati all the best, but I fear their product line isn't going to give them the volume they want… or the cash-flow they need.

Drop the SUV and bring on the uber-high-end halo product like the Alfieri.
    - Art

25. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

+1