New Member Interested in 308 GTSi | FerrariChat

New Member Interested in 308 GTSi

Discussion in '308/328' started by GR5, Dec 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GR5

GR5 Rookie

Dec 10, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Mike Gwizdek
    Hello Everyone,

I’m new here and new to the world of Ferrari’s. I have much experience with cars in general and have restored and/or worked on muscle cars, sports cars (Japanese and European) and built a Model A hot rod from the ground up. I am mechanically inclined and rather meticulous when it comes to my cars.

Anyway, I say all that because I have always wanted a car from my birth year, and unfortunately 1981 was not the best year for good looking cars – at least not US ones. I never really looked at Ferrari’s until I came across a small article in Hemmings about the 308’s and how the ’81-’82 GTSi’s are not out of sight expensive.

Now I don’t like to just buy a car that’s ready to go, I enjoy projects. I love knowing each nut and bolt on the car that a restoration affords. I am also looking for the next project that my daughters and nephews can be a part of so I’m not just out in the workshop by myself. I think this would be a wonderful car to one day hand down to them.

So after all that I will finally get to my question.

What is the typical entry price point for a good “project level” 1981 GTSi? I understand the parts may be expensive but I also pride myself in restoring original parts and saving as much as I can to keep the car original. I know rust can be an issue and I am okay with a small amount, but not a basket case.

Sorry for the long post. From what I can tell this seems to be a great board with a great group of people (another reason why I was attracted to the 308).

Thanks,

Mike

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    $40K gets you a really good entry point to a nice 1981 GTSi.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Welcome!

I'll keep it short. A 2V 308 will certainly be the most affordable of the 308s to purchase, so good choice there for a project.

As you already know, restoration isn't a cheap thing to do. Often, you may end up spending more overall than a 'great quality' car may have cost in the first place. Especially if body work is involved. And for a Ferrari this is even more true. You may spend more than it will ever be worth.

But I'm of the opinion that a Ferrari deserves to be saved when possible. So if it's something you decide you wish to do, I hope you find it worthwhile and enjoyable. :)

4. GR5

GR5 Rookie

Dec 10, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Mike Gwizdek
    Thanks for the replies.

What type of shape does the 40k give me? Running, not running, rusty, etc.? Just trying to get an idea.

It seems they aren’t too hard to work on. A lot of the maintenance is DIY.

How are they as far as driving? Are they fun to drive? High reving? I’ve never had the pleasure to ride or see one up close.

Thanks,

Mike

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It sounds like you are well prepared for a nice DYI project. I am no expert in restoration but I expect that a lot of the mystique surrounding 308s in unfounded.

The thing I can observe is that a difficult and expensive part of restoration of these cars is finding all of the small bits. I would expect that the cost would really add up. I am thinking of items like switches, vents, brackets, moldings etc. Patching body panels would be just standard English Wheel and welder stuff. From what I've read, rebuilding a blown engine can get real pricey. I would expect that the important thing to look for is a car that is "intact" with nothing missing or modified.

If you've never been up close to a 308, it seems really worthwhile to seek out the local Ferrari Club of America and local Cars & Coffees. Really get informed about these cars before buying one. These cars were once disparaged and many have been abused. Buy a "good one", … whatever that means.

To answer your questions about how they drive, learn how to search this website. It will be a lot of reading but there is a wealth of info.

For the Mother of All 308 Restorations, check out Daniel Morales' thread:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/chassis-37313-resurrection-308-gtbi.359739/

G. Pepper and smg2 like this.
  6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The most difficult bit with restoration work on a 80's vintage Ferrari is going to be finding parts if they still exist and mfg those that don't exist anymore. They are straight forward in mechanical assy, though a bit tricky and oddly designed in some areas. As noted the other larger issue is the long number of yrs the 308 models languished in value causing a severe drop in maintenance and care. Complete engine overhaul and build will cost in parts roughly $10k and avg 80hrs of labor for a first timer and that's provided it comes apart without any issue, that's unfortunately rare. Overhaul of the gearbox is an easy $10k~15k in parts 2nd worst case, first worse case is needing synchro rings or main shaft that no longer exists... so I suggest that when looking for a 308 find one with the best gearbox, as parts are becoming unobtainium every yr. It's not a huge problem as the gearbox is actually very stout, but it does happen from lack of maintenance or neglect and those vehicles tend to be in really sad shape.

$40k could get you a decent example that will be in need of minor work, they are old vehicles with lots of rubber bits and hand made bodies with next to no rust proofing. $50~60k would get you into a driver example that would only need maintenance and possibly some bigger ticket things depending on mileage and the previous owners upkeep. Under $40k would be a project and could cost anywhere from $20k to skies the limit to restore to driver status. My advice, find the best driver you can and ease into the experience, nothing worse then jumping into the deep end of the pool when it comes to restoring a classic Ferrari, it's a world of hurt unlike any other.

Formula Uno and Crowndog like this.
  7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Since you are new to this website and don't know the personalities yet, what smg2 says is like The Word of God. And he performs miracles.

Formula Uno likes this.
  8. GR5

GR5 Rookie

Dec 10, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Mike Gwizdek
    Excellent advice, thank you. I am by no means someone who rushes into these types of things. If it is something I move forward with I will definitely do my research as you've suggested.

Thank you for this, this is what I was looking for. I appreciate your (and others) honesty. That is why I came to this site, opinions from the people who know. I think all too often people get excited about something and as you say jump into the deep end and end up with a stalled project and no money.

I am glad you posted this. Every forum has experts and I'm grateful you pointed out that smg2 is one of them.

Thanks,

Mike

9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I sent you a PM, but you may not know where they are yet. So, I have a 1980 308 GTSi that I will sell you for wholesale. I have a lot of parts to restore it, but since I got my 360, I have lost interest.

It's a solid runner. The exhaust whistles, but I have the injector plugs to fix that, and the parking brake needs to be rebuilt. Interior was already addressed. The seats were new as of 2014.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. GR5

GR5 Rookie

Dec 10, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Mike Gwizdek
    Yes I did receive your PM. I have replied.

Thanks,

Mike

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Wait a sec...I can perform miracles???
    why didn't anyone tell me?:D:p

Crowndog likes this.
  12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    … Next time you are at the Newport Beach pier, jump off the end. I just know you will walk on the water. …

;)

13. GR5

GR5 Rookie

Dec 10, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Mike Gwizdek
  14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not just walk on the water, he can also split them like Moses did.

16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I intended it to be a backhanded joke to take a bit of the air out of my prior complement which I thought was sturdy enough to withstand some ribbing.

However, rereading my words, I realize I landed the joke poorly. Sorry. I didn't mean it to mean "go jump in a lake" which I suppose is the negative reading.

Language is tough, particularly written words. I really blew it though. Sorry again.

17. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    It's ok, I thought it was funny.... just thought the meme fit and played well.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The 81 and 82 model GTSi is my personal favorite automobile ever and always will be.

I love the black A pillars, no hood vent, body colored fender vents and no rear spoiler thing.

But that's just me.

Formula Uno and mwr4440 like this.
  19. GR5

GR5 Rookie

Dec 10, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Mike Gwizdek
    The more I look at these the more and more I like them. In fact, I was thinking about it today and it dawned on me I use to have a framed picture on my wall as a child of a Ferrari. I texted my dad and he sent me the following picture:
    Apologies for the poor picture. I know it's not a 308, but it's close.

Mike

Attached Files:

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I had a red tan GTSi on my wall. Can't tell what year 80-82 because you can't see the inside. I still have it too.

I need to pull it out and give it a proper frame

21. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    jferazzi likes this.
  22. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
  23. GR5

GR5 Rookie

Dec 10, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Mike Gwizdek
    Well I received an email about a 308 in project condition. Came to find out it was sitting and the engine was froze. Now normally I’d go look at this car because I’ve built many of motors in this condition, but thanks to the advice given above I now know the 308’s (Ferrari’s in general) are a different animal than what I’m use to.

Thanks,

Mike

24. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mike, they aren't THAT much different. When you read that it's going to cost $25k in parts alone to overhaul an engine and transmission I think they are talking about complete restoration - new pistons, liners, cams, all new bearings and synchros in the transaxle etc... You don't have to go to that extent to have an enjoyable, and affordable, project resulting in a well sorted driver that may not be a concours ribbon winner. A "froze" engine doesn't necessarily mean the whole thing is a boat anchor. Yes there are some things that may create a level of challenge greater than a Chevy small block, you can't get parts at Jegs or Summit or O'Reilley's and you have to dig a bit to find some of the tech data. You won't be able to Google "308 cylinder liner protrusion" and find a YouTube video on it but if you're mechanically talented you can overcome all of these challenges.

So I wouldn't give up on your idea, you're not doing it with the idea that you're going to "make" money and that's a good start right there. I'm with Thorn - every forlorn 308 deserves to be resurrected.

thorn likes this.
  25. GR5

GR5 Rookie

Dec 10, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Mike Gwizdek
    Thanks for your comments. I’m definitely not trying to make money. In fact, the plan would be to one day hand it down to my daughter.

I’ll continue to keep an eye out for a good one to show up for sale that needs some work.

Thanks,

Mike