New membranes available for the warm up regulator and fuel distributor 400i and 412 | FerrariChat

New membranes available for the warm up regulator and fuel distributor 400i and 412

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Geert Jan Schreurs, Oct 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Geert Jan Schreurs

Jul 14, 2010
    netherlands
    Full Name:
    Geert Jan Schreurs
    #1 Geert Jan Schreurs, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Because I had problems adjusting the right fuel flow from my fuel distributors (as described in the WSM) I rebuild it (see the earlier post on Ferrari chat).

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299780

I had to reuse the old membranes and the results ware good but not excellent. I have been searching for quite a while for a new membrane but I wasn’t able to find a “new” good one.

I decided in the end to produce a new membrane myself. The new membranes are (CNC) cut based on the exact dimensions of the Fuel distributor housing.

Because the membranes in the warm up regulators where also old and “stiff” I decided to produce a new membrane for the warm up regulator as well.

If you are interested in these new membranes send a PM or visit my website.
    De membranes are tested on the 0438100055 fuel distributor and 0438140033 warm up regulator.

On the attached pictures you can see the old and new membranes and the fit on the lower half of the fuel distributor. After rebuilding the fuel distributor and warm up regulator worked not good but excellent.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Excellent stuff!

When I'm in Den Haag I will give you a visit, nice parts you have.

3. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Impressive!

Al

4. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Do you know whether the membrane material is compatible with the ethanol with which we are blessed in the US?
    Greg

5. Geert Jan Schreurs

Jul 14, 2010
    netherlands
    Full Name:
    Geert Jan Schreurs
    its NBR rubber coated nylon (as has been used earlier bij effbe who produced the membranes for bosch). NBR or Nitrile or Buta N resistance is fair to good for alcohol.
    I replaced the O rings by viton O rings because this material is even better resistant.

6. Neville Andrews

Apr 17, 2022
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Neville Bruce Andrews
    Hi Geert, Are these membranes still available? I see the original post was 12 years ago!!

7. Collesano

Collesano Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    England UK
    It seems Geert's "Ferrari 400 Parts"no longer operates. (?) http://www.ferrari400parts.com/

There were discussions on a German Mercedes forum where members had used membranes supplied by him.
    Many seems to recommend TS Technik instead for membranes and other K-Jetronic parts: https://www.tstechnik-shop.de/

Similarly the same members recommends this article for advice on the procedure, in German though..: https://www.hanshehl.de/tipp98-24-1.htm

I myself have no experience of using the parts from either supplier, good luck!

8. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Yes, they are readily available.

9. Neville Andrews

Apr 17, 2022
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Neville Bruce Andrews
    Thanks for the reply. Have found them on eBay through the same TS Technik company so will contact them. My car has been sitting in a 'collection' for a long time so needs a full system refurbishment.

10. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
  11. Collesano

Collesano Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    England UK
    Schumi likes this.
  12. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I've installed savox products. I had to punch one of the holes, but the kit does the job. It is also cheaper and certified as "ethanol compliant".

13. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Assuming one gets the kit and does the install, what other "calibration" is needed before reinstallation and perfect operation?

14. Collesano

Collesano Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    England UK
    The experience of this Mercedes owner is quite good, even after Google Translate: https://www.hanshehl.de/tipp98-24-1.htm
    This also details how to check the fuel pressure, which is of course very important,

Good opportunity to check spark plugs, compression, plug lead resistance, check adjust mixture of course ( adjust CO, check HC levels)
    Unless it has been done earlier it's a good time to replace fuel filters too, Injector nozzles can clog up too and not create the proper spray pattern.
    An "unclean" spray pattern result in difficulty starting when warm with black smoke and rich idle mixture with high CO and HC levels.

Injectors can be checked in a rudimentary way while connected to the system but the ideal is to to go to someone with a test rig. (video here)
    They can be cleaned in a ultrasound cleaner I suppose, the alternative is to replace them with new injectors.

The non return valve can cause problems too, also makes the car difficult/impossible to start until the cold start regulator kicks in again
    and gets the system running (bled) again. Fuel bleeds back into the tank and creates air pockets which then prevents the injectors to open.

I assume you can get rebuild kits for the non-return valves for the Ferraris fitted with K-Jetronic like with all other cars with the system.

Here's a company in the US who supplies rebuild kits and other parts for Bosch K-Jetronic:
    https://cis-jetronic.com/index.php?rt=product/product&manufacturer_id=26&product_id=237

15. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    If it works before disasembly, just replace the seals, adjust warmup cold and hot pressure, adjust CO, but don't mess with the injectors individual adjudtments.

One day to replace all the seals, one day to tune.

It won't be perfect but it is easy to get the setting in the ballpark.

At the end of the tuning, check the exhaust temps with a laser gun: if both banks are not the same temp, you've got a problem.

16. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    While you are at it, measure the flow at each injector before you put it back together, you will probably find that you can balance them far better than what was done at the factory.

They are very easy to adjust, don't believe the widely spread myth that is it difficult to do or that you need specialized equipment - look at my thread.

17. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    If you know how to refurbish a set of weber, the k-jet is not any worse. It's even easier than carbs as you only have two units.