New Michelin 4S | FerrariChat

New Michelin 4S

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Bob, Apr 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Mounted a new set of 4S on my Challenge wheels, 245/35/18 front and 285/35/18 rear. They replace the Michelin Pilot Sports I had on the car. I have around 300 miles on them now and the ride is better in that it is not so harsh as the MPSS. I guess the belts on these tires are different than MPSS that give them a better ride over bumps. They are quite and the grip is outstanding. I was thinking of Cup 2s but they don't make a size I wanted but these tires really grip and glad I did not go that route. The tire outside is of a different compound similar to Cup2. I went around a round about or rotary today and substantial more grip than MPSS. They are supposed to be superior in the wet but the car is never driven in the rain. Side wall of the tire also looks better in that it has that velvety Michelin lettering like the Cup2. Sometimes things don't live up to the hype but these tires do.

GTUnit and Yassa like this.
  2. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Thanks for the review. I shall be getting a set of these soon to mount on a set of challenge wheels also.

3. baschul

baschul Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Brian S
    Thanks for the review. I have these on two cars including my daily and love everything about them. The performance in rain is no joke. Can’t wait until they are available in the stock sizes for the F355.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I'm unfamiliar with those. What do you think of them, and how do you like the 18" combination in comparison to the OE 17"s?

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    So far, the look spectacular! :)

Turns out, my vintage Fikse FM5 wheels need to be resealed so I haven't driven the car with the MTs yet.

Fortunately, the wheels don't need to be separated (two piece), but the tires did need to come off. Meanwhile, the 17s with Toyo Proxes 4 Plus are back on. Awesome tires, BTW.

7. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Oh well, at least the reseal is easy. Biggest hassle is removing all the old stuff.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    One of those "what was I thinking?" moments. Or rather... not thinking (about resealing beforehand). ;)

9. JohnsonsMedia

JohnsonsMedia Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2009
    AZ
    random question. Are you guys taking your wheels to be mounted at a specialty shop? Finding a place in Tucson apparently is hard. Do you just go to discount or something?

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Most America's Tire stores are decent if you stand there and watch over them to make sure the wheels are not man handled. Otherwise, there are specialty tire and suspension tuning shops that will do it. Globe Tire in Manhattan Beach is an example. In the OC, I'd feel pretty comfortable letting GMG do the mounting.

11. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Had mine done at Discount Tire and they did a great job with the Challenge wheels and their price was better than tire rack.

12. baschul

baschul Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Brian S
    Reviving this thread because the PS 4S is now available in the F355 OEM tire sizes. I purchased a set from Tire Rack on 7/1 when they became available. Discount’s web site still doesn’t show them as available almost a month later. Not sure why. I’ve had them on the car a few weeks now, and they are awesome. Much better than the P Zeros IMHO. I needed tires a year ago and almost went with the PSS because the PS 4S wasn’t available in stock sizes yet, but I held out and I’m glad I did. I now have these on three cars and love them in wet or dry conditions. A local specialty shop mounted and road-force balanced these while I had the car in the air for the annual fluid changes. Different car. Highly-recommended.

Steve355F1, Yassa and Qavion like this.
  13. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    What are people putting on their F348 17” OEMs?

14. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    P Zeros. Only decent tyre available in the UK for the OEM rims.

Bit confusing in ordering them as Pirelli do the same size for the 465, but they are slightly different as they are for a heavier car. Ended up talking direct to Pirelli to figure it out! (Pirelli website is rubbish as they don't even list this tyre!!! Typical Italian I guess.)

That was a year ago, so not sure if anything else has become available.

15. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This is great news! I was going to order a set of PSS but held off due to the issues with the car.
    I’ll now go ahead and order a set of these. Thanks!

16. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Being almost a year and a half now. Would you guys buy the 4s again for the f355?

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Stock tire on mustang gt. It is a good street tire that is good on track for a street tire.

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I'm curious about this too.

Turns out, the MT front tires I bought for my 348 (same size as @F355Bob - 245/35/18 front...) but at full steering lock mine rub the louvers (front wheel well gravel guards).

19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (225/40ZR18 F and 265/40ZR18 R) on Challenge wheels that I use for rain tires on the track or for when the temperature is too low to use slicks. They heated up quickly and the grip was excellent on this 45 degree day at Lime Rock Park in Late October 2018...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wade likes this.
  20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Wade,

I stayed with stock OEM size tires which have similar contact areas as my slicks. Once the 4Ss got some heat in them, the performed well. At times I forgot I wasn't on slicks! They do well in rain too.

Use the attached guide to assist in tire size selection.

Barry

Attached Files:

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Good to know, thanks. While I thought I was going to receive 245/35/18 for the fronts (same the the OP), I ended up with 245/40/18, which are a bit taller than stock. Obviously they tempted me with their matching 295/35/18 for the rear tires. The fat ones out back do look good. :)

But hey, sometime you don't know until you try. Next set will be different.

Oh, and awesome info in your attachment. Thanks!

22. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
  23. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
  24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #24 308 GTB, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    How would those rear tires help you in performance cornering? You would be minimizing induced oversteer and inhibiting your ability to rotate and point the car toward the exit for early throttle application.

25. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    What about the Bridgestone S007A?

I know Giles drove a Ferrari with Michelins, but Michael drove one with Bridgestones. ;)