NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You are right, of course: I just wanted to say that it's a Ferrari derived engine. Of course is not a "cut" engine. I have to say that I don't know if the Alfa V6 has a crossplane (120°) cranckshaft, but it's very likely. I neither know if the Alfa has (as i think) the turbochargers with bushings (like Portofino and so on) or the ballbearings turbochargers (like the 488-Pista-F8 only). Do you have any info about that?

ciao

of2worlds and REALZEUS like this.
  2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Probably a cross plane with split pin to achieve 120 deg. firing interval (in a 90 deg. block).

Hope the new V6 is 60 (or 65) or 120 deg., the latter for low CG.

of2worlds and REALZEUS like this.
  3. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    Alfa V6 crankshaft is a 120 deg without split pins
    https://www.autotecnica.org/alfa-romeo-tecnica-v6-510-cv/

Albert-LP and of2worlds like this.
  4. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Thanks for the link.

By 120, I meant 120 firing intervals.

So with no split-pin, it's actually a non-even firing arrangement (ordine di scoppio 'zoppo') and like the article states as mandated in F1 currently.

Because this uneven firing is not as nice sounding as a 120 firing arrangement this is why we should hope for a 60 or 120 deg arrangement for Ferrari's V6.

of2worlds and Doug23 like this.
  5. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    You're right, I meant the angle between throws and the resulting odd-firing interval is 90-150

6. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Yes, 120 crank, understood.

Thanks again for the link. It's the first time I saw so much detail on that engine.

Doug23 likes this.
  7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    It has the best bank angle to have a good balancing (I don't know the English word, in italian is "Bilanciamento"), that is only one angle value for a V6 engine

ciao

of2worlds and Doug23 like this.
  8. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    I guess it's a V6 angle well known in Ferrari's history, especially when coupled with two turbos :D

ingegnere likes this.
  9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I don't remember anything… :D

ciao

ingegnere likes this.
  10. F001

F001 Rookie

May 23, 2019
    Now that SF90 Stradale has been shown and Ferrari has stated that hybrid system found in SF90 will be used in other vehicles within the lineup, would this mean that upcoming v6 model and all hybrid vehicles from Ferrari will be all wheel drive?

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  11. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I think the little brother’s timing may turn out to be perfect. The SF90 will have been out 2 years and hopefully any issues with the hybrid system will have been addressed. Also, it will be available at a lower price point.

Now I’m crossing my fingers that the design will be a departure from the 458/488/F8.

IloveGT, Motorwerks and jumpinjohn like this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

How can power be up so much on the engine given a 25% reduction in engine size ?

If the price is Pista range that pushes it up the scale and the Portorfino coupe becomes the entry Ferrari at the 488 GTB / F8 price ?

13. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Caeruleus11 and BCHOW like this.
  14. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    It s not so difficult, it can t be worse:D

tekaefixe likes this.
  15. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
  16. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Ferrari annonce this in plan in September 2018

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    My understanding was that should they produce a rear ME V6 it wouldn’t be an entry level car but a smaller light weight ME weapon.

18. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    must have missed it or wasn't paying close enough attention. I knew 5 models this year in 2019, but I didn't know 5 models every year for the next 3-4 years. That is intense! VIPs will be racking up frequent flier miles going to Maranello every 3-4 months

crazedboutcars likes this.
  19. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    [chief commercial officer] ‘Galliera said: “Our product line-up is basically trying to redesign our positioning, but we don’t feel there is a need for an entry-price [model] in our product range, and we plan to remain consistent with what we already declared we want to do.” ‘

Interesting if true, and a bit disappointing.
    I would have strongly considered a ~$200k Dino as a replacement for my 911.
    Thinking in terms of Pista and SF90 pricing, it would seem they’re doubling down on higher price points, presumably as a means to maintain exclusivity, artificially inflating the sense of luxury, and increasing per unit profit.

As the number of $200-500k cars by all marques increases, this is a bold gamble.
    Makes me wonder how they will price/position the FUV relative to other big-$ SUVs.

20. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Its the perfect approach for them in my opinion, going down to try and compete with a very crowded 911, R8, 560/520, Huracan, Astons, MercGTS, etc... I mean its a mess in that band. Why should they? All those brands are struggling big time right right (Performantes sitting on lots.. 911s there a thousands of them). Ferrari needs to keep on current pace for price and exclusivity, once they become the lease special of the month its over for them! My guess for pricing on the FUV/SUV is take the LussoT and go up from there. Here in Canada thats $305k ..

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It is amazing too, the mid-range torque is a ton of fun, and even at freeway speeds it vaults ahead. I keep thinking, "Why doesn't Alfa put this in more cars!?" It would make a tire-ripping lightweight 4C, and in a larger sedan an S63/S8 competitor.

22. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I don’t disagree with you
    However, focusing at a higher price point seems at odds with the reported goals of higher volume sales and increasing the number of new buyers
    I will be curious to see how it all shakes out over the next few years

23. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think Uhn2000 is correct. Ferrari doesnt want to play in the 200k market. There you have Mclaren 570, Porsche 911, Aston, Bentley, used lambos and 488s - Its a mess full of tire kickers and "Anti Depreciation Owners"

They want higher sales but that can come from an incremental increase in production and a massive increase in entry price. They want to be in their own category and other than Lambo- no one else is there. Porsche is pushing the market with the 300 speedster and those are already selling at MSRP - GT2 are sitting on the market tanking cause people are realizing that 300k for a porsche is really pushing it.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A V6 can never be a cross plane crank as it cannot be made with a 90 degree offset.

It makes little sense to make a flat plane V6 as a 120 degree crank would mean least amount of balance needed.

Not sure any manufacture has ever attempted a flat plane V6, and not sure if there's any advantage to that over a 6 pin crank for a 60 degree V6.