NEW MODEL KIT THREAD | Page 137 | FerrariChat

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F1tommy, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #3401 F1tommy, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    I do respect both your opinions and for myself I would also prefer more Profil 24 style curbside only with high detail body models and less full engine detail as I just don't have time to build 20 1/12th Hiro kits. The comment I made were not to be critical of P24, just to point out the probable economics of it no matter if we like it or not.

Having said that I think Profil 24 will take a big hit due to the Hiro release that we all could see coming. The P24 kit is not that much less in most of the world than the Hiro 250LM kit. We are talking about a $200.00 US difference between them. Most will pick the Hiro because it has a chassis and engine no matter if they know how to build or not. Also P24 kits are not easy to build so for most a screw together Hiro might be easier. As was pointed out, a 450S or even a Matra 670 Lemans would have been more interesting for Profil to do in 1/12th scale. I also wish he would finish the Alfa 3000CM and Lancia 1953 Pan Am cars he announced last year in 1/24th scale:)

Lusso123 likes this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The lesson, Profil 24 needs to do everything in their power to not duplicate other companies kits. This is not diecast's we are talking about. Kits are much more limited production. He needs to stick to interesting subjects like he has always produced. A Ferrari Lemans winner might be to mainstream. I have bought all his 1/12th kits and although they are not perfect they have a certain hand made feel to them as Patrick points out. The Hiro stuff sometimes seems more machine made, but they also are getting better.

Lusso123 likes this.
  3. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    All good points. I'm just glad another company didn't release yet another GTO.

The 250 LM is not an unconventional pick but it's also not a well represented model either, definitely not well represented in 1/12 scale. So now we have two options.

Hopefully this doesn't give Profil24 cold feet for future Ferrari releases, there are many more models to explore. And they don't have to have "250" in their name.

-F

4. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Patrick and Furmano, just as Tom wrote, I also respect your opinions and observations.....but I have to agree with everything that Tom wrote. And yes, I do agree with Patrick that we should all try to support Profil24 and other artisan companies. I am in strong favor of that, but in my opinion, Profil made a very poor choice. I am also looking at this from a business standpoint for anyone, including myself, who is in this field full time, and has to reply on this to financially support themselves.

There are so many other really great (non Ferrari) cars that could be modeled, and that is what I believe Profil should concentrate on. Given that MFH has been producing such a volume of vintage Ferrari's for the past few years, and that Profil is a small company who rely on their business supporting their family (just as I do), I think it was an extremely high risk and very poor choice for them to model any 250 LM at this time. I have been in similar situations over the years with other model companies either making what I was going to make, or in some cases, completely ripping off my ideas, as well as other bad situations. It happens, and is an unfortunate part of our business. Nonetheless, I do wish Jean-Philippe and Alice the best with all of their endeavors

5. Graphic-mini

Graphic-mini Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    La Rochelle, France
    Full Name:
    Guillaume Phelipon
    I receive a phone call today from FFK Miniature, the kit of the Matra is ready now. I can take order. The kit will be at 460€ plus shipping. If someone is interested, tell me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Looks very nice. If it was a 670 I would have to buy it. These cars do sound amazing.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Email from Ed Sexton about Revell USA

"Please know that this was not the fault of Revell and the people who I have worked with. We were doing good work and could have continued. But our owner Hobbico filed from bankruptcy on 1/10/18 and the closing of these doors is the result. There will continue to be a Revell based out of Germany for now"

10. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #3410 furmano, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    I received the Profil24 Ferrari 250 LM 1/12 kit and I am very happy with it.

The shape looks good to my eyes though I am still studying the real car. In particular, Profil24 got the window frame/'B' pillar geometry correct, something other manufacturers like Amalgam haven't. If someone can find mistakes, so be it.

The resin is solid and clean. The photo-etch feels substantial and is nicely executed. The tires look good and I believe to be correct. I'm optimistic the vacuum formed "glass" will fit correctly.

If there is one thing I might scratch build it's the chrome number lights on the door and engine cover. I don't think a photo-eteched part will do, they demand a turned part

But honestly I'm grateful for not having to do a full on open panel, detailed car right now. This is like a 1/12 version of an old style 1/43 car, single piece body, interior simply built onto the base, nice external detailing.

If I had the funds I would purchase one of Hiro's versions and put it in the closet for the future. But since I could only choose one, I took the path "less traveled".

At some point I'll post up a build thread.

-F

11. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Any idea why the auction for Revell was suspended? The sale of Tower Hobbies and Great Planes has been approved.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    No, nothing yet. I hope this is just temporary. Maybe it's just the name and molds they bought. I will see Ed in a few weeks so I will get more details.

Also Beemax coming soon kits getting closer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    NürScud likes this.
  14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  15. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Oh my: that Hiro 250 looks delicious-I-must-resist................

16. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob

17. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Oops... I wrote my response in the reply mode.... Here's my response to F1 Tommy's 250 LM post

On the 1/12th 250 LM Ferrari... why does 92 appear on the front hood and the driver's door shows "twenty-something"? Shouldn't it be the same livery number?

caratsch likes this.
  18. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

It is the same number all around, which is number 23. The model photos are correct. The numbers replicate the specific font that was used.

19. Banzai!

Banzai! Karting

Mar 1, 2013
    You know I've saw this on several cars from that era but never thought to question it. Was it a LeMans or sports car rule to have this font type on the nose and /or rear deck? Maybe team specific?

20. JBanks

JBanks Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    It was quite common in France (and other European countries) up into the 70's to write a number 2 with a full loop and also sometimes the number 7 with a horizontal bar across the diagonal.
    Not a sportscar rule - it was probably down to the particular signwriter for the car (most of the numbers were hand painted)

21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Looks great, and IMO a good choice this time.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Did it ever race in this clean a configuration? At the very least there were tabs on each side of the nose, and at many races, more tabs than that.

23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yes it did at Monza....