New Owner needs help with pop-up lights | FerrariChat

New Owner needs help with pop-up lights

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Aeroflyboy, May 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeroflyboy

Aeroflyboy Rookie

Dec 10, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Full Name:
    Johnny G
    Hello all!
    I am the lucky new owner of a former garage queen, a 1973 365 GT4 2+2 in Blue (and they say 95% of 1st time Ferrari owners buy red). Ahh, that 12 cyl purr (growl) It only has original 15K Km, which is pretty darn low for 38 years. Anyways, I'm getting started fixing the lights, and looking for any advice where to get started, etc. They light but don't pop-up. I take it these are vacuum activated? You know the way everyone likes to sit around the garage and talk autos? In the past, I have always spent my weekends at the hanger talking about my true passion, aviation. Now flying for 29 years, I need more garage time. Thanks in advance to all, and happy motoring!

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Hi, these are great cars! The headlights are electric not vacum. There are some great threads in this forum dealing with problems with this issue. I'm not an expert since my lights are working. I would recommend doing a search to answer your questions.

3. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    Most likely it will be one of the relays, they might have some corrosion at the contact points. Take them out and clean the contact or just replace them.

And please show us some pictures or videos of this car. From what you discribed you have sound a pretty perfect 365 :) And do you have any more info on this beauty?

4. fez1238

fez1238 Karting

Sep 5, 2007
    One thing to check is that the lifting arms for the lights are securely bolted to the motor.

When I had the same problem before checking relays etc I could hear the motor working and discovered that it was simply a case that a bolt was loose connecting the motor to the lifting mechanism arms.

Hope this helps

5. Geert Jan Schreurs

Jul 14, 2010
    netherlands
    Full Name:
    Geert Jan Schreurs
    I had problems with my headlights and changes the diodes. When you remove the headlight motors from your car you can see the electrical contacts. If the are corrode you can change the diodes and solve the problems with not opening or not closing.

6. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal

Hi, I have the same problem, the lights (both) do not pop up. Throughout I can hear a metallic noise from the relay. Any idea of where I should investigate ?

7. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    Check if you have power on the motors after you hear the click. If not check the relays and fuses in the. If you have power at the motor, check the diodes and replace if neccesairy. But sure though that the motors or arms are not stuck at first :)

8. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks, I had it checked yesterday.

A trick : I was showed how to keep it popped-up without keeping the light on, once manually operated : remove the two fuses (I think right box, 3 and 4 starting from the right, not absolutely positive).

The verdict is : there is power at the motors. Now I guess I have to buy new diodes, but how could I get to these diodes plesae ?

Enjoy your cars,
    Olivier

9. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Sorry, poor formulation. My question was : where are these diodes to be found ? Thanks in advance. Olivier

10. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    The diodes for the lifting motor are located under the rubber-like sheithing..This may be tough to remove..The diodes are very common and Radio Shack has them by the dozens for about one dollar each..Also there is a wonderfully illustrated step by step repair on this subject some time back on Fchat..just do a search on headlamp motor repair..I hope that this of some value..Jacques.

11. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    The diode #is 1N4001.Jacques