New owner, old belts, no lift | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New owner, old belts, no lift

Discussion in '348/355' started by MrJames, Aug 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    MrJames and Wade like this.
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Helps to have a barn to put it in. ;)

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Oh trust me, I really want to build a garage/shop at my house. Bought the house 5 years ago with the intention to do a shop space, but haven't. This is commercial space about 10 minutes away that I rent with another person. But yeah, I agree....14 foot ceilings helps.

4. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    I did my 355 engine out in 2015 on a low polishing bridge, the one that forms a trapezoid when up.
    Terrible, as the rising construction blocked a part of the engine, and it was a pain to get it out and back in. In the end I needed two jacks to lift the body further.

Now I have a 2 post lift, and that is very, very convenient. I have a normal size ceiling, at 260 cm, so I bought a low lift from TwinBusch (available in Europe).
    I made some heavy steel plates to support the feet of the posts, and made an extra connection on the top to prevent the posts bending in. Not necessary probably, but safety first.
    I have had a tvr (1050 kg) and an aston vantage ( 1650 kg) on it already, so for my next belt service it will certainly do well.

MrJames likes this.
  5. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    We have the same lift and used it for our 355 major in 2018. Great piece of kit -just look out for the face-level red lock handle. You will clobber your head on it if you haven't used it. Perhaps that's why it is where it is...

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    2 post typically requires about 12 foot or higher ceilings, so that is out. I went with a wildfire lifts 9,000 pound four post unit. Nice and sturdy, not too expensive (about $3,600).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

steved033 and MrJames like this.
  7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    What's your ceiling height?

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    9'-6". I end up with about 7-8" above the S2000 when it is on the top shelf. More like 12" when the Alfa is up top, but the Clearance underneath on the stop shown is barely enough for the S2000 (maybe 3" clear).

9. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #34 eulk328, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    I also have the "home garage" version of the Twin-Busch lift. Great for low ceiling height, as you mention. Was going to go with their 4 post lift for my 355 but then they fortunately came out with the two-post garage model. More work to do to get the garage ready but making progress.

Twin-Busch does distribute in the U.S. but I don't know if they stock this model.

. Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    That is looking great and professional! My ceiling has the same height, but the garage is not that wide unfortunately...