New Owner! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Owner!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by jsh458ft, May 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Correct! I've already deafened myself in some tunnels, wonderful stuff.

2. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    First hiccup today, got the non-plausible catalytic converter temperature warning after the car sat out for a few hours in room temperature weather-so no obvious cause. Drove a couple miles, restarted and then after a few more miles it went away. I guess if it happens more I’ll get Ferrari to come get it and run the codes. Other threads seem to be split between it being a non-issue and a total maze of repairs…

3. Oitbc

Oitbc Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    Phil Thomas
    I had some spurious error messages pop up when I got mine. Turns out if the battery is flat and hasn’t been charged it will start throwing up random errror messages as a way of letting you know. This direct from the Ferrari service centre technician I spoke to.
    His advice - go drive it for 30 miles and then switch it off for at least 4 hours. If still getting issues then yes we will take a look at it but if battery is low driving it will recharge it enough to clear them. Or plug into a battery charger via port in the boot (trunk?)

he said 4 hours as apparently lots of systems talk to each other even after you’ve pulled out the key.

Fixed my issues

4. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Yeah, I’d read this elsewhere but my car has a brand new battery and hasn’t been left to sit much.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Two things ... even with a new battery, leave it on the charger when you're not driving it. The car will be happier. This is much easier on the Cali T because they put a magnetic port under where the license plate is, but even on the earlier Cali it's worth the time. Also, if the brand new battery in your car is the Ferrari OEM one, that's not a good sign because those batteries are not so great. A lot of Ferrari dealers will put in an Interstate or Odyssey battery instead, and there's a reason for that.

When starting up, always wait a few seconds after you turn the key before you hit the start button (you will hear a few quick quiet beeps when it's ready), the various ECUs are all checking in with each other, and starting the engine before that process finishes can result in all kinds of weird errors that will disappear with a fresh start.

Bill Phillips, alex and tomc like this.
  6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Another good tip is to close the top when you put the car in the garage.

jsh458ft likes this.
  7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

jsh458ft likes this.
  8. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    tomc likes this.
  9. Rlurie1

Rlurie1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lurie
  10. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The spec on mine was done originally by Ferrari NA as a ‘press car’ to showcase the -30, so they added pretty much every option available.

tomc likes this.
  11. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Wow epic!

12. RJ66

RJ66 Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Robert Juneja
    I purchased from Long Island Ferrari and they I think are same ownership as Ft Lauderdale and my CPO was also delivered with a few sticky buttons. I have not complained yet.

Wondering if we should say something to Ferrari about this dealer group?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    You guys are pretty naive. Never buy from any South Florida dealer without inspecting the car!!! They will rip u off and enjoy doing it.

14. dcg2

dcg2 Rookie

May 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Gray II
    Wow. As a prospective first time Ferrari buyer this makes me think maybe it's not the brand for me.

Imagine my naiveté thinking the buying and ownership experience would be better than for a Ford.

Thanks for clearing the "halo" fog that was clouding my brain.

At least now if I decide to buy and own one I can have the right frame of mind for the task.

Thank you.

15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Read the threads here before jumping in. Tons of useful info. I would wager most have had a positive buying and service experience. But not everyone. And, given the costs involved you want to go into a Ferrari purchase decision as informed as possible.

Done right , the successful hunt for your first F-car us a great experience. Nerve wracking to be sure, but fun. If things go amiss, you'll be grumping, or worse, and no one wants to see a Grumpy Gus behind the wheel of a drop top Ferrari!

For what it is worth, our Ferrari purchase / service experience has until now far surpassed our Ford purchase! Good luck...T

16. dcg2

dcg2 Rookie

May 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Gray II
    Thanks for the perspective and encouragement!!

tomc likes this.
  17. RJ66

RJ66 Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Robert Juneja
    I bought an otherwise pristine car with 3400 miles on it and a perfect and complete service record. A few sticky buttons has not dampened my growing love for the Ferrari. You cannot help but smile when you drive the car.

My dealer is in Long Island not Florida and I imagine if I raise the issue they will make amends. I am too busy enjoying the car for kvetching right now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  18. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    Just sold mine to the dealers

19. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I found the comments interesting too. My dealer is in the Bay Area, California, and is amazing. Maybe do a little research on different dealers because I know some are great. Kind of f’d up that all aren’t…Ferrari should clip some wings

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    For someone thinking about getting their first F-car, I think it's worth joining the local FCA, going to C&Cs, etc. to get intel on your local sales and (especially) service options. These are finicky cars that can cost a lot to fix, if you aren't wrenching on them yourself. So, the relationship with a service provider is an important one...T

alex and russellmcg like this.
  21. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    Meant to place window sticker

Attached Files:

tomc likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Corrected it for you.

No one should expect a great buying experience from a dealer on a used exotic. I ended up buying from private owners both times after a lot of bad interactions with dealers.

23. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Hoping for help from community on this one: significant right knee discomfort after longer drives in the California. The wider transmission tunnel at the footwell takes away from some of the normal right-foot space maybe, and the bottom seat bolsters maybe take away some thigh space? I can't figure out what's causing the pain but my wife and I are both experiencing it. I can't be the only one, but Google/forum searches yielding nothing. Thanks in advance any-and-all!

24. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Transmission mount? Wear item equal to the engine mounts

25. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA