488 - New Pista Paint Respray? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 New Pista Paint Respray?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by unogib, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The dealer will repaint the stripe exactly like they would, had the car needed a respray because of track wear, scratch damage or an accident. Sanding the stripe down, spraying the base colour, masking, spraying the stripes, then spraying clear and finishing up with polish andsoforth. It's no different than what is basically done at the factory. Remember that most panels can be removed etc. and the dealers are usually in contact with a painter and some even have one in house.

2. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    For sure - didn't mean to imply the OP might not like it. Only meant to try to rationalize why there might still be confusion with Ferrari (both "Coburn" colors are custom paints with the original customers name in the paint name), and to help shed light to individuals who were staring at the photo and making conclusions that the roof and rear deck stripes were missing. They were merely hard to see.

Everyone shoots for the look that appeals to them, right? Beauty, after all, is in the eye of the beholder. For the "many" the look that appeals to them is what they are used to, what they are comfortable with. Aesthetic and fashion, especially with colors, tends to punish the brave. Frankly, what appeals to many is boring and old. It's the tastemasters aka the brave that spec (or stumble) creatively upon something new. When that new thing is adopted by many, it suddenly becomes the "of course that's what looks good" choice.

Metallic Red on Flat Red isn't a clash by any means. These are much like ghosted stripes on other colors. I think it could like a lot more badass than people make it out to be. That's not to say the OP should accept it given this is a half million dollar purchase. People get upset over much smaller custom orders going wrong in other industries (think if the tiler doing your bathroom screwed up the tile color, let alone the grout gaps, etc).

Stripe is painted. Not sure how a dealer would correct the paint issue at all.

3. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Repainting factory stripes is completely different than touching up bumpers for paint damage. Your dealer is lucky that you're so easy going paying this much and having such a challenging error in the build.

Pista Spider getting repainted by a dealer or local paint shop? Not going to be a car many would consider "original" if resold. If he keeps it, he's better off keeping the original factory paint and working with the Ferrar + dealer to cut a special agreement, benefit, etc. or not accepting the vehicle at all.

4. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Being in the New Car Dealer business, I can tell you I would not want my car done this way. It's not the proper way. Once the panel is sanded down, it needs to be primered, sprayed, clear coated, and BAKED in the paint booth. Not only that, connecting panels need to be blended to get the color just right. How that can be done properly with masking off repaint areas only is news to me.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think I've said my piece on this. I hope Ferrari will make it right if it is wrong. But rest assured, there's little chance of the car being shipped back, torn down and getting a complete respray. So two options remain. Either the stripe gets redone like I've seen it can be and I know some dealers have done in the past, or the client walks losing his Pista Spider. Doubt very much there's a new allocation waiting for a second try.

To the OP. I know this is a bad deal, and i know this is not how it was supposed to work out. If you feel the car is too compromised if it does not get a complete factory respray, leave it and move on. Hopefully your dealer will make it right somehow.

6. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I'm just hoping and waiting - although in my gut I know that the stripes are the wrong color. And for Ferrari to tell me and my rep that they "assure" that it is done correctly - well let's just say i'll blow a gasket when/if it turns out wrong. I will not have my dealer just "respray" the stripes. Its the wrong way to do it and could also hurt resale for a picky buyer. Why should I make my car a "questionable" buy from day 1? My level of frustration comes with the fact that it does not appear that Ferrari will/can offer me another build - that is completely unacceptable to me. Time will tell but I will want the car to be done right and me to be made fully whole. What's more is that we have documentation from Ferrari that our order was accepted, and due to the custom nature of the build, accepted by, Ferrari.

7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Agreed. Issue is OP may have to take pista as is or have none at all.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm hoping that it is all an optical illusion, and that your car arrives perfect, and with the colors you chose. However, if it isn't the color you chose, I personally would never let them "re-do" the stripes, no way. It will never be like the factory. I would either accept it as-is (if I liked the way it looked), and take some compensation if they agree (they probably will), or I would flat out refuse the car, and ask for another new build. I'm not sure of the legalities, etc. because I never had an issue like that. It's a huge purchase, and you should get what you paid for, nothing less.
    I'll be praying that your car arrives looking exactly how you spec'd it. When do you expect to see it?

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    To be honest, I don't think that a same/similar color satin stripe would clash. If anything, it will be the opposite. I would categorize it more like "subtle".
    Of course it's all a matter of taste, but sometimes going outside of ones comfort zone works out as a benefit at the end. I normally wouldn't think that it would look good either, but a little while ago (I think it was at a Barrett Jackson auction), I saw an older Camaro restomod. It had an awesome yellow metallic paint job, and a very, very subtle stripe in the paint job. I thought it looked pretty amazing. While I would never have spec'd it that way, nor would I have the foresight to do that even if I had the guts, I have to admit, I REALLY liked it. Sometimes we realize that we like things that we never thought we would.
    I'm not saying that the OP SHOULD like it, or accept it if it's not what he wanted. I'm just saying, hey, you never know.

10. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    The other day I saw a 100km pista that needed a full correction of the paint.

Unbelievable. Actually F paid for the bill to the detailer after managers inspection.

PTG1 and of2worlds like this.
  11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    All it takes is a single bad wash!
    Hence, why I always put a “do not wash” sign on any of my cars that get serviced by others.

Solid State and of2worlds like this.
  12. customryder

customryder Karting

Jul 31, 2007
    I will be happy to take this mess off your hands. I will buy the car from you. message me. :)
    Jeff

SECRET and of2worlds like this.
  13. Ryan13

Ryan13 Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    This happened with a speciale here, the stripe was painted the wrong color and the interior was also wrong. I hope it all works out for you.

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Was that the blue Speciale A convertible or a different car?

15. Ryan13

Ryan13 Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    It was the blue one. Has a beige color stripe.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Blue with Avorio actually could look pretty good:)

of2worlds likes this.
  17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    @tomc would probably buy into that idea...;)

tomc and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    You mean Blue stripe on Avorio:D

of2worlds and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Lol, I'm sure he would:D I actually think his Cali is one of the best combos I've seen so far. Avorio is such an underrated colour. I remember seeing an Avorio Speciale Aperta a few years ago. Can't remember what the stripe was, but it was a masterpiece of a car.

But think about it. Blu Le Mans with Avorio stripe. Very retro and classy:)

tomc and of2worlds like this.
  20. Ryan13

Ryan13 Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    F142George and of2worlds like this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    The “none at all” option is a non-starter unless OP could secure another allocation. I looked at a Pista Spider today that was priced at....$900,000...gulp.

22. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Wow! Obviously ask versus sale prices are different but still....

23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    So assuming there is no available open allocation, he's stuck.

Thecadster likes this.
  24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I hope the car comes in correct as Ferrari says it will be. If they are FOS then I would easily reject the car unless they signed a re-purchase document declaring they would buy the car back after one year at at least what I paid all in.

25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    The car will be worth substantially more than OP pays for it repainted stripes or not. Unfortunate and regrettable situation, for sure. Perhaps, the factory/dealer might provide assurances regarding future allocations. Maybe, just maybe, OP could turn lemons into lemonade.

SECRET, Simon^2 and of2worlds like this.