488 - New Pista Paint Respray? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

488 New Pista Paint Respray?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by unogib, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I think it's more about having to convince yourself to still somehow feel grateful to have the car when it is screwed up. And even more so, that you find the issue, and you have to be your own advocate. Seems more like a painful product return experience at, say, Walmart when you should be feeling Four Seasons-level hospitality for that money.

To me, that's not ok. I would walk away if that happened. Hopefully that doesn't happen to me in a few weeks :D .. maybe my response will change if it does.

2. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    bingo! It’s growing on me as it is but how I wanted it would have been really cool!

PTG1 and up4speed like this.
  3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #128 up4speed, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    I was really disappointed that my 458 didn't have the yellow brakes or the dark wheels. Instead, it happened to have the silver calipers and the diamond cut wheels (since I purchased pre owned and didn't have a choice) but they grew on me, and now I actually PREFER it the way it is because of it's uniqueness. I personally love the mistake on your car and think it looks great (the interior is gorgeous as well). And have a funny feeling that you may feel the same in the near future, especially if it is already starting to grow on you. My situation took over a year to grow on me, lol.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's a bot different. A set of wheels and calipers can easily be changed.
    I think the OP should either get it painted right, being it in Italy or locally or he should walk.
    It will for all intended purposes never be what he wanted and it will always be flawed. Can you get used to it? Probably, but that's like getting used to hospital food because nothing else is available. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

up4speed likes this.
  5. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I know it was meant to be that way but, I think it will grow on you its such and awesome car

up4speed likes this.
  6. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I order a lot of customized items (not new F cars) that are expensive for what they are. One example of many is foot ware that cost in the thousands....as I like the different look and the Pop of multiple colors.

From time to time things will come with something incorrect. Sometimes I feel it looks better than what I came up with.

if there is a mistake I will usually ask for a reasonable discount if all documentation of what I wanted was clear. I say reasonable as I still have a usable product and don’t expect something for free.

I think your original design was really cool and I think you spent some time putting it together so I understand the disappointment. I think the as delivered design looks good enough to keep, but I would expect something in return for excepting less.

Thecadster, up4speed and SoCal to az like this.
  7. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Well put. I think hearing some of the perspectives like this makes me think twice about if something didn't come in right. I think the difference, IMHO, is if the OP isn't necessarily planning to buy a car like this from time to time -- if this is something more rare that's been saved up for.

While I know plenty of people are swimming in riches of the world, there are some that are not, but have saved up to reach the dream of owning a Ferrari. I still believe Ferrari should be treating every vehicle (and product they sell, for that matter) with a Ferrari logo with the same care and attention to detail. There's a mistake somewhere in the link between customer to factory to product, and Ferrari should care about that.

PTG1, up4speed and DoubleD33 like this.
  8. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I think we also have to remember when we order something That deviates from a standard menu item such as a #6 combo at McDonald’s there is always the risk of it not meeting the expectation.

We expect better from high end products, but the same methods are employed if not more opportunities for it to get messed up. By opportunities I am referring to the number of hands it goes through.

FWIW. This thread would probably be my luck if I had ordered. Lol.

9. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I had a bunch things deviate from standard. Anxiously waiting to see what shows up.

10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Any more pics of the car. I love to see it from different angles.

up4speed likes this.
  11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes please! We need eye candy

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    IMO sad to hear but IMO hard to accept. No chance no way I would accept it.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Gorgeous! Drive it in good health.
    I know others have complained about the stripe, and sorry it's not the one you ordered, but I think it looks hot.
    Can we get a straight on shot of the front in the sun, showing the hood and the roof?

14. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
  15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is the craziest story....wow.

Like others I would drive it and toast to your health.

Other than having a local paint the stripe you wanted and staple it to the check, I am out of answers.
    I am in high value building construction and there's happy variance and there's unhappy variance, and there's the ten of ten people that will walk by and not even know the original design intent!!

16. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA

It’s been an interesting year for sure! In the end, I can’t wait for it to be here. It’s not 100% how I intended but it’s still a hell of a car and machine. Anxious to say the least to see it in person but also feeling very fortunate to be able to buy one. This isn’t my only Ferrari and I think I’ll love it just as much as all the others. I feel more fortunate than anything at this point; almost guilty I’m accepting it while so many are struggling right now.

junc, up4speed, SECRET and 4 others like this.
  17. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Good for you!!

.... and what has to be one of the most sensible and levelheaded posts I've read here.

Thecadster likes this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Still looks beautiful. Drive it in good health. Never apologize for being financially successful ( unless you accomplished it dishonourably or at the expense of others). Enjoy.

Thecadster likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s a great attitude and kudos to you for not throwing a hissy fit for a mistake. Ferrari should offer some accommodation for the screw up and I hope you guys can come to a cordial and collaborative solution that is a win win.

enjoy and drive it in good health.

Thecadster, up4speed and SECRET like this.
  20. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I thought about the factory photo, and it occurred to me that there's a possibility the photo was taken mid-process of painting the stripes. If the Pista Spider paint program at the factory handles 1 primary body color and 1 stripe color for both inner & outer stripes with whatever masks they do, it may be cheapest for them to let the car run through the full paint line with the factory masking then add the special request after.

I wonder if the car needs to go to whatever Ferrari's paint shop is called where it may have gone in for the Grigio Coburn outer stripe.

Anyway, I really like the way it looks and how the Rosso Coburn stripe ghosts out at low attack angles. As many have said, owning such a car is a dream come true.

21. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    That’s actually not a bad thought. At this point who knows.....48 hours to go!

22. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Coincid, tomc, Ryan13 and 7 others like this.
  23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
  24. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    iMrMark, Coincid, Nelsonc275 and 4 others like this.