New Pista Slot | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Pista Slot

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tvg, Oct 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think we should try to avoid politics, its always a heated topic. They have the politics and religion section for that. For what it's worth, I took TVG's comment to mean he was having a great day. We're here because we love Ferrari.

Anyway, as I understand it, on these cars, there is a mixture of dealer and factory input. The more important the car, the more the factory gets involved.

No matter what, its worthy of congratulations to someone for getting a Pista slot. That car looks like it will be incredible. It sure is incredible looking!

of2worlds and BarryK like this.
  2. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Right there you said it, dealer makes the "list" and sends it up, which is one of their duties as a franchise entity. I'm sure there are extreme exceptions here and there, like if you're Charles Leclerc, etc. LaFerrari is a classic example, customer list comes from dealer and then goes up and they choose from that batch.

If your name is Max Verstappen, you get nothing.

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Or wait 18 months and the secondary market will be flooded with Pistas. It always is.

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and mine

boobernackle and of2worlds like this.
  5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I'm not really sure what your point is? I don't think there is any dispute that the dealer makes a list of his preferred customers. Isn't the question whether there is a restriction on volume/allocations and when allocations are tighter the factory gets stricter about who they allow the dealer to supply a car to? Your view over numerous threads seems to be that the factory just wants to sell lots of cars and it is really the dealer trying to feign allocation-difficulty so that they can get customers to do what they want - buy Lussos, used cars, whatever. Whereas others (including me) are persuaded that supply will be more limited for various reasons and Ferrari (the factory) work very hard to make sure cars get supplied to people who have evidence of being committed to the brand. Unquestionably, I might be wrong but I similarly don't think your view that Ferrari want to flood the market and hide the fact is unquestionably correct either.

In the end it is a bit of a pointless argument because we will all see the truth in time. If they make 5,000 of them does it diminish the value of being able to own a Pista? Maybe, but not so much that I don't want one.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    I don't recall ever mentioning Ferrari wants to flood the market with cars. They are increasing production, but up to a certain point given global wealth/demand has been increasing. What I'm saying is the dealer has the sway when it comes to regular production cars, even the Pista. When it comes to limtied production cars, again the dealer compiles a list of customers they feel are "best" suited and then Ferrari will choose from there. In only rare instances, hence my Leclerc example, would Ferrari make the call, but in almost every scenario, dealer compiles their customers and sends it off. Allocations (for none LE cars) are trickling in over time, with sales/performance targets having a big part of it too.

I put the word best in quotes because the criteria of defining it can vary from one dealer to another, except if the customer's name is Max Verstappen.

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The whole allocation business is a rather arcane process that seems to be a sort of protection for the factory when it comes to allocating factory builds. The details are necessarily opaque to add cover for the dealer to who can make all sorts of demands of potential customers who will acquiesce reluctantly knowing they are going to be one of the chosen few to get an allocation.
    It was a NZ customer who first mentioned the Ferrari 'score card' which ranked customers. The score was based on their buying history of cars and participation at various factory sanctioned events plus the age of the customer! Based on those numbers climbing to a higher category was possible for aspiring client. For the manufacturer a marvelous system to manage the sales process but perhaps a bit unfair to real enthusiasts who are shut out simply because they don't have a long buying history to fall back on. Perhaps the most galling aspect being the low low mileage new cars then offered for huge premiums in the Ferrari resale marketplace...

8. tvg

tvg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2010
    Yes it does

AClark, 09Scuderia, Bendrover and 2 others like this.