New Plane Market in 2018 | FerrariChat

New Plane Market in 2018

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Dec 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FLYING just sent me the 2018 Buyers Guide. I have been out of touch a few years, but the new market seems interesting especially with the lower demand for planes and the glut/crash of used aircraft.
    • Bonanza - $815k for a 176 kt cruise, 74 gallon tank, and 600 lb. full fuel load? Why anyone would pick this over TTX or SR22T I don't know. I guess just legacy Bo fans. It was once one of the best single pistons out there until Columbia and Cirrus came along.
    • Skyhawk - $370k for a new trainer? There are going to be less and less general aviation entrants. Flying is going to be all commercial before long.
    • I see the TTX is still outclassing SR22T for same price 20 kt. higher cruise, 250 nm more range, and 250 lb more load full fuel (who cares about the 5th seat then?).
    • Mooney Acclaim Ultra - who in the heck would want one of these over a TTx or Cirrus? $780k, RG, 450 lb full fuel load, and 830 nm range (1,200 TTx, 1,000 SR22T).
    • Beechcraft and Piper still putting out million dollar twins. I guess there will always be a legacy market for these twins. I just don't get it as you don't gain any load and they are slower than TTx/SR22T.
    • Turboprop market still looking very healthy, but at $4 million I still wonder the value proposition vs. light jets.
    • King Air's for $8mm!?! I know it is a great plane and solid use case for it.
    • Love they are still making the Avanti! What a great plane. I bet the waiting list is under 4 years by now though. :)
    • Did the M2 replace the Mustang or they give up on Mustang and M2 is larger not single pilot anymore? Looks like great plane, just wish Cessna could have worked out a personal jet for under $3mm.
    • Cirrus personal jet - looks like a huge hit and maybe perfect price point at $2.3mm. Ugly as ****, but I think a smart play in a tough market. It will be interesting to watch adoption over next 5 years and accident records. For $2mm why not just buy a used Mustang though?
    • So many jets $30-70mm. At that price and upkeep I can't even imagine a billionaire owning them. That would be more eating away more of your billion a year than earning in investments. however, I guess it makes since for multi-billionaires and 100% business or at least high % business.

juliei likes this.
  2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    The other issue is the fringe players that are putting out better and better equipment every day. It's hard to justify a new 172 when the DA40 and P2010 are arguably (much?) better planes at around the same price. Then you have the DA62 making the Baron look old and worn out. The Baron has a couple of knots on the DA62 (although at a much higher fuel burn), but the Diamond can actually fill its seat and still go somewhere.

Plus the Epic E1000 will be here soon and that's sure to make an impact in the "personal" turboprop market. I also think the DA50 in its three variants would be a very intriguing plane. It solves the DA40's problem of not competing with the Cirrus and TTx.

All that said, all of these planes cost much more than they should. New planes are very hard to justify unless you're in the air A LOT.

ersatzS2 and rob lay like this.
  3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they all suck except the PC12 :p

kylec, Steve355F1 and rob lay like this.
  4. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Of course. How quickly we forget. It's the only plane worthy of being in the sky.

5. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

You forgot about ONE wildcard.....IMMEDIATE expensing on your tax return if reform passes today. For people buying airplanes that is an immediate 35% discount on price.

LARRYH, juliei and rob lay like this.
  6. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    As long as you can put up with flying around with a paper bag over your head out of embarrassment for its looks.

7. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I assume you caught the joke?

8. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You are kidding right? The Da62 rivals the PC12 as the worlds ugliest airplane. Give me a well built Baron over that grasshopper looking no name airplane any day and twice on Sunday!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Island Time likes this.
  9. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Of course ;)

10. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I actually like the way the DA62 looks. It's different. I can see why people call it ugly, but seriously, let's not put it in the same category as the PC12. That ugly thing is in a class of its own. :)

rob lay likes this.
  11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Your reference to Piper twins is to the Seneca, I assume. The Seminole is a trainer, and mostly sold to big fleet operators who need a multiengine trainer (and they all need that).

The Seneca fills a different, smaller niche. It can carry 6 people, with bags, from fairly hot and high airports, with twin engine redundancy. There are places in the world where those are important features.

As for the Baron, I think those are bought by people who want a new Baron, and don't want anything else. There is nothing like rumbling along in a Baron with those big Continental engines out there... they are really great airplanes. It's a small market (I bet they don't sell 20/year), but it's a devoted market. And those buyers will eventually buy a King Air... Probably the same buyer who had a new Bonanza previously.

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Been beat severely with the "ugly stick" also applies to the Hawker/Beechcraft Premier. Had the misfortune to see one on an FBO ramp - flat horrible proportions.

13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

You know you are insulting the greatest airplane in the history of mankind don't you? ;)

rob lay likes this.
  14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Can't talk about the piston market as that is an area I have no dealings in. But, the jet world I can weigh in on.

The large jet world has finally gone soft. This would be the Gulfstream 550, 650, Global, top Falcons and BBJ. That segment had kept a lot of solvency for the related companies as the smaller aircraft segments foundered. The used prices have taken huge hits to the extent that the financial institutions are revisiting the depreciation schedules for leases. Each individual aircraft model will have a piece of a unique story (Global buyers are waiting for the 7000 to arrive, G550 is being discontinued, BBJ buyers waiting for the Max versions) but the net result is that they are all struggling for sales of new aircraft that are in production.

There are press reports talking of optimism in the mid and light jets at long last.

The used market is seeing several factors weighing it down.
    - Financing standards have tightened.
    - Leasing for an aircraft older than 10 years is far tougher
    - Cockpit mandates coming due January 1, 2020 that finds a lot of the 1980s and 1990s jet with serious/expensive pathways to compliance.
    - The older aircraft are also seeing some manufacturer support of avionics equipment discontinued

When that mandate of 1/1/2020 comes along do not be surprised when there are a lot of aircraft permanently parked and ultimately parted out.

In Rob's original post he questions how even high net worth people can afford these $30+ mil aircraft. Well, one way is a lease at .75% to 1% a month. But one is still going to be faced with an annual operating budget of $1.5 to $3 mil a year; bad but not insurmountable for many.

rob lay likes this.
  15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    To answer the question about how even a billionaire could afford to operate a large jet, let's think about this. If you have $1 billion in assets, mostly in investments, you should be able to spend at least 2% annually. Let's throw in another 1-2% for taxes. But 2% for spending is reasonable, before taxes. That's $20 million/year. That's a lot of spending money...

In that context, spending $2-3 million/year to support your flight operation isn't all that much-- only 10-15% of your other annual spending. And yet that might well be your largest single line item, other than taxes.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I was just doing math different, $30-60mm for a plane. You buy it new, in 5 years depreciates 50%? That right there is $3-6mm a year not even counting operations.

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just like with Ferraris, there are some good reasons to buy used! Still within a $20 million spending budget, though.

Also, in most cases, there are some advantages to buying new. The tax savings (especially under the immediate write-off system) can be substantial, and the maintenance savings are also substantial, while the airplane is under warranty. That can reduce the operating budget. But new is still more than used...

18. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Also when new, your way and with whatever is latest and greatest. You inherit nothing of what someone else was wanting. When one gets to a BBJ this is a significant difference since these interiors are highly personalized in configuration, features and styling.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I remember when a brand new Boeing 707 was $6 million. And I remember seeing a 2-seat Cherokee trainer for $8000...

LARRYH likes this.
  20. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well you used to could buy a GTO for 11k in 1962 also...

LARRYH and GuyIncognito like this.
  21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Remember reading the new the B-52 was the most expensive plane ever built... $8 million.

22. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I grew up decidedly middle class (Dad worked for GM), yet my parents were able to afford flying lessons for me and my Dad ($13/$13/hr for C150/instructor in 1976). I owned an airplane for over 25yrs. However I don't think I would have had it nearly that long if I were not able to perform assisted maintenance and inspections. I think GA now is to the point of being like owning exotics. Oshkosh is just a big Cars and Coffee, with an abundance of 'tuners'.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I barely did it 2006, plane + instructor was about $140 an hour for me and that's buying bulk discount (15%). I think it is much worse now, my guess closer to $200 for plane + instructor? those Skyhawks were brand new in 2006 and I've noticed they are using same planes.

24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You need to go to a smaller airfield and train in something like a 152. My kids are doing it at a little place around here, and I think it's less that $140/hour, but in a 152.

Island Time likes this.
  25. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    DA42 should be in the mix too as an SR22/tt comparable. Lotsa water to fly over here on the outer banks

rob lay likes this.