New Porsche 928? | FerrariChat

New Porsche 928?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Aureus, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

quote from the road and track website

http://roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=1166&page_number=1 see link for a picture

2. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I have always loved the 928. A new model would be sweet if they didn't stray too far off the original design. Some people think they are ugly, but I disagree.

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

This would be great if it happened !!

4. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I'm a big fan of the 928. Change the rims and it is the only model that you could insert into the line up of the 90's forward and it looks current save the paint age. IMHO of course.

5. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    The 928 is one of the few Porsches I liked.

6. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    The 928 was/is still my favorite P-car & I agree it has aged the best of any of their cars; particularly the last GTS cars of the early-mid 90's. A year or two ago I saw a full blown 928 race car at Summit Point during a Porsche Club event and it sounded phenomenal and LOUD! Hopefully Porsche will actually follow through and build a successor to the 928.

7. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Couldnt agree more, I have just sold this 1995 GTS to make way for the fcar, driven 928 for 10 years and owned this one for almost 5 years, never ever let me down and biggest expense was a clutch, with the 5speed manual it was soooo fast, I will miss it!

8. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Hey steve what a nice paint job. What color is that? I have never seen that shade before on a shark.
    T

9. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    iris blue if I'm not mistaken. Had it on our old 993.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh, this will be tasty. Love that blue.
    Interesting to note the consensus thus far is to keep the 9X8 lines as close to the 928 as possible. The irony (iron knee) is - Ferrari GT haters don't use the same logic.

11. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    928 was one of the sexiest Porsches IMO, I would love to see another one.

12. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    BTW, other Italian?

13. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

What Porsche isn't Italian? :p

Seriously though, since there are posts in here about non-Italian cars and I didn't really see another section where this would go, I figured this would do nicely.

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I have always liked the 928 - I hope they bring it back with as much innovation.

Now if Ferrari would only bring back a updated 360 Mondial 2+2.....

15. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Its Iris Blue metallic, was a 2.5k option on the car when new in 1995, Porsche discontinued the color about 1997 but they will still do it, I know of a guy who bought a 993 new in 1998 and paid 5k for Iris Blue!!! It is a great color tho.

16. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Here is the last pic of my GTS before it was sold, in this one it has 18" cup wheels fitted, suit the car better than the standard 17", already miss the car, wish I hadnt sold it!!!!
    Steve

17. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Thanks for the pic. Nice! have you known anyone that put 19's on a shark?
    T

18. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    #18 karmavore, Mar 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    never heard of 19" on a 928, dont think they would look right, the 18s on my car were fitted with 265/30 tyres on the rear to keep the same overall diameter, fitting 19 if you could get them would increase the roll radius, not a good thing

20. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003

WOW That is amazing. 500 hp in that would be just the ticket. Nice evolution. All wheel drive, rear view camera and voice activated hud. That looks like a pic i saw in a car mag 2 months ago but your version is much better. I'd start saving for that if any truth to it.
    T

21. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Lots of stuff going on in the older 928 world currently. I still follow the discussion boards because I have had 3 of them. There is a guy that has designed a bolt on supercharger kit that is about $7500 complete. Add this to an '87-'89 which can easily be found for $15-$22k. The guy who designed the kit is putting down @470hp and 450ft.lbs to the rear wheels with his "automatic"transmission '87 model.
    Here is his website. The 500+hp car is an '87 5-spd.
    http://www.murf928.com/

22. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Come on, you guys follow links don't you? that picture was in my first post! just follow the link lol. I like the general look of that rendering, but the roof seems to be taken from a targa 993?

23. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I had a 1983 928S for 6 years. Bought it in 84. It was my daily driver in good weather. I put 65k miles on it and never had any problems except the Paris-Rhone alternator. Had it rebuilt every winter, put it on in the spring, and was good for the rest of the season until the next snowfall. Regular interval service was reasonable. It was the best car I ever had. Great highway car. Wasn't the fastest off the line but it pulled all the way to 150mph on the speedo. Looked great. The style still does. Any idea as to cost of the new one?

24. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Good to see so many admirer's of the car post here......wow !! I sold them when they were new, until their demise in 1995, and loved the manual gearbox ones in particular.

I had a 5 speed GTS as my demo for a while in 1994 that was jet black with a full "Magenta" leather interior......an electric purple color basically......women loved it.

http://www.worlduph.com/SAMPLES/porvin2.htm

Color sample in the 3rd row.....second from the right.

I remember when these cars were done they couldn't give them away.......I had 15K rebates on the two in stock. Now GTS's are going up in value.

And what's this thread doing in the Italian section anyways......it would be nice if they designed it though....

25. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    That looks like a chopped carrera GT and an aston martin.