New potential owner with question | FerrariChat

New potential owner with question

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mlcor, Aug 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Hi, I've been lurking for a bit here, long time sports car lover but never a Ferrari owner. Started out almost thirty years ago with a Bertone X1/9 (who remembers those?), then a Miata for many years, followed by a Lotus Elise and currently an Aston Martin Vantage GT. I got invited to a Ferrari Portofino event and had the opportunity to drive one--was very impressed.

My dealer now has a US-spec demo, and I spent a fair amount of time with it yesterday. I'm very interested in potentially ordering one, but there was one behavior that really bothered me. The front sensors went off constantly, even when there was nothing in front of the car. When that happens, the screen changes to a sensor view, the radio mutes, etc. There is a button that restores the screen to normal, but only until the next time the car stops, and then the behavior repeats.

Anyone out there have a US spec car yet? If so, have you seen this behavior? It can't be normal.

Other than that, I'm thinking either Rosso Mugello, Rosso California or Rubino Micalizzato (feel free to give opinions/experience) with Cuoio interior. Options would be shields, Magneride, horse stitched on seats and stitching (rosso), Carplay (along with a $4k pound of flesh near my heart), Homelink, electrochromic mirrors and foldable rear seats.

If anyone can comment on the weird front sensor thing, it would be much appreciated. I've asked the dealer to check into it as well.

2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi, the sensor thing sounds like a malfunction... you'd think the dealer would fix this on their demo! If you want to be sure, get them to fix it and drive it again!

I've spent lots of time on the colour question. Will PM you.

mlcor likes this.
  3. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    I went for a demo drive and the left front sensor wouldn’t shut off in the parking lot. I was like what did I do or hit. He got out, cleaned the sensor with a rag and it stopped. No further issue

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Can't say about the sensor, that didn't happen in the demo I drove. Nor ever in my Cali. There's a local Cali in Rosso Mugello, tan interior, red stitching & it's one of the few Calis that I've seen that puts a twinge of jealousy in my heart. Gorgeous color! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the colors you've mentioned. If you're going to spend extra for a special red color, I'd check out Rosso PF, if you have not done so already. I had a chance to check it out last night, and it is a stunner IMO.

Among the options you mentioned, I'd only hesitate on Car Play & maybe Homelink, but that's more down to how I drive my Cali - for fun, 2 or 3 times per week, never use NAV or radio. If it were me, I'd invest the diff in interior upgrade options that you can enjoy while driving - CF central bridge, LED steering wheel, heated seats (I have a cranky back). Congrats on your new Porto!

T

5. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Good to know--hopefully that's all it was. Thanks.

6. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I'd like to see the Rosso PF, my dealer doesn't even have a sample at this point. I'm definitely getting the upgraded seats (which have the heaters) because I want the adjustable lumbar settings. Not a CF fan (sacrilege, I know!), which will save me a bundle. The demo had the LED steering wheel, which was definitely cool, but I'm not sure it's worth $5k to me.

I think you're right, that any of those colors ultimately will make me happy. Just as well since it's unlikely I'll have the opportunity to see all of them in real life before I have to decide. Thanks for the input!

7. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The CF wheel is pretty important for resale. Just an FYI.

Can be added after if someone really wants too. I swapped out the normal mirror for the Homelink one, only because I consider an auto-dimming mirror to be an important safety feature for nighttime driving. But good thing a 20k KIA has one standard.

8. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I have heard that. The demo I drove had it, and it was cool but if I weren't thinking at all about resale, I wouldn't spend the money on it. I'm not a fan of carbon fiber from an aesthetic point of view, and from a practical point of view, it's more slippery than leather (yes, it's only on part of the wheel, but even so). I'm not going to track the car, so the LEDs will be fun but not practical most of the time. After all, they only come on at 5k. And speaking of 5k, I guess I'll have to spec it anyway and pay for it, even though I'm not keen on it... :(

9. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    My 2011 California was Mugello/Cuoio. Posts 1 & 45 of the following thread contain pics of it under different lighting conditions. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-california-has-arrived.307812/

I haven't checked in awhile, but I think Mugello & Rosso California are standard colors, while Rubino has an upcharge? I liked the slightly darker shade of Mugello, and got many compliments that it was "different" and "elegant." When Rosso California first came out on the T, I thought it would also pair well with Cuoio.

I didn't care for carbon inside my car either. Do the LED wheels now have carbon where you grip the wheel? On my 458, I had the factory cover the LED wheel with the matching "metal" instead of carbon. FWIW I don't know how much my lack of LEDs, carbon or shields affected my resale - my recollection is that it took 3 or 4 months for my dealer to close my consigned car at a price acceptable to me. In any event, my advice would be that if you're going to order a car, build it the way you want it - you're going to lose money on the car anyway.

You may want to also get cruise control if you will be driving longer distances on the highway - the throttle can be sensitive, so you have to pay more attention to maintain a constant speed.

Have fun with the ordering and savor the wait! Looking at my old thread again has brought up pleasant memories.

10. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Thanks, and the pictures from your thread are very helpful. It does look like a beautiful combination, with a more traditional flavor. I'm still thinking about the choices, and I think it will come down to either that, Rosso Portofino or Rubino Micalizzato (if it's not crazier expensive than the RP). Mugello is a standard color, but Rosso California or the other two I listed are all premium colors.

The CF wheel has CF from about 11:00 to 1:00 on top, and 5:00 to 7:00 on the bottom, the rest is leather. As CF goes, it's probably the most handsome I've seen, I'll say that. Cruise control is standard on the Portofino, so there's no issue there. I didn't find the throttle particularly sensitive to tip-in at all during my (long) test drive; felt more like my Panamera, so they must have worked on that over the years. Certainly nothing like the king of abrupt tip-in, my old Audi S6--that thing was impossible to modulate off the line.

We'll see where I get to with the wheel and the colors, at this point I think I'll be happy with any of the three I'm considering.

11. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    Jamie traina likes this.
  12. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    You're welcome. Its nice that cruise control is now standard. One additional thought. You might consider getting the special order wheel with the center CF covered to match the dash trim. Here's what it looks like on my 458.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Again, good luck & enjoy the ordering & delivery process!

13. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Yes, I did think about that possibility, but the idea of spending $5k for the wheel and then (presumably) another couple to cover it up again bothers me almost as much as paying $4k for CarPlay. :eek:

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Agree. Mugello is a great color, and no up-charge...T

15. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I test drove the Portofino, they have done really well with the design, feel and open top. Absolutely love it. As for the sensors, sometimes the wrap can mess with it too. Never have been an issue for me on all the cars. Wouldn’t worry much about it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I posted these on another one...the color was amazing in person

16. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Is that the Rosso Portofino?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    mlcor likes this.
  18. Zuul

Zuul Rookie

Aug 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mickey Makay
    mlcor, I wanted to ask you about your Aston, but for the life of me can't find a way to send you a PM. (maybe I'm too new?) Anyway, would you mind PM-ing me? I don't want to derail this thread.

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Exactly.

If they neglected to cut the wrap around the sensors, it will result in all sorts of false sensor warnings. There cannot be any film on the sensors.

20. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Well, it’s not going to deter me, since from the responses it’s clearly not a known problem. Don’t know if the demo I drive had the wrap on it or not.

21. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    We did the shift lights covered in leather as well and I am really glad we did. I’ve had three carbon wheels and do not plan to do that again, but love the shift lights...

Would definitely pick that over CarPlay if it came down to it. I find that I don’t use CarPlay much actually, since it seems awkward at times and is not Bluetooth enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    It’s interesting, in the detailed order literature, Ferrari says the system is ready for wireless CarPlay implementation, which implies the hardware is there and all that’s needed is a software change. I think CarPlay requires both Bluetooth and WiFi.

23. Cali from CT

Cali from CT Rookie

Jun 27, 2018
    Naples, FL
    I recently purchased a '15 California T with 4700 miles. When picking up the car, my sales person set up the many of the controls and settings including a defeat protocol for the front sensors. He said they were overly sensitive and are a nuisance in day-to-day driving. I deferred to him for the setting but thought it strange that Ferrari wasn't able to get this right from the start.

24. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Interesting—thanks.