New real life pic | Page 9 | FerrariChat

New real life pic

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by isuk, Aug 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The silver test mule has different wheels front to rear! Funny I didn't notice at first.

2. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Me neither, seems like the front wheels are the chrome versions of the challenge wheels (don't like chrome), and the back wheels are the 20" from the California (i like). :D

Wonder what will be the final wheels they choose for the car.

3. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    As far as I know, the 16M wheels are standard. I think Ferrari should leave the challenge wheels off the options list this time...

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    +1

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #205 of2worlds, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    This silver appears to be Argento Nurburgring, lighter than the Grigio Titanio. The light can play tricks but it shows off the lines quite nicely. Not so sure about the 'Wonderbread' livery though...
    CH

6. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    oh hell yes this is getting good

let's see the front now

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It looks good.

unfortunately I wanted revolutionary...not evolutionary.

Maybe its nitpicking... I just miss when every new model looked unique.

308 - Testarossa - 348 - 360

All looked unique from each other. Ferraris right now are attractive but far too homogenized for me.

8. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I think that the 458, while very attractive, is the most eclectic Ferrari of recent vintage. It seems as though there's something for everyone: F430; Enzo; California; 612 P4/5. Very nice overall, but more of an homage than a clean and coherent design statement. Fred

9. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I agree

Out of the 360/430/599/Cali the 458 is the best looking. I just want my jaw to drop to the floor again...been a long time since thats happened. maybe its just me.

10. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007

Revolutionary...........You can't do something so different with the same recipe ............ It's like requesting a Coca-cola bottle to be reinvented from 5 to 5 years...but you can't...it has to be made from plastic, to keep 2 liters of liquid, to be easy to produce, to be easy to be put in the fridge...

Same here, you can't use radical changes to support the same goals: -Low drag, high downforce, 4 wheels, 2seats,midle-engine.......and so and soo

11. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Couldnt disagree more with you.

12. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    People keep buying Coke, in the same bottles. In fact, they prefer the traditional bottle (and, in 1985, voted with their dollars for the original formula, too). Not so with exotic cars. People expect each new model, selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars, with long waiting lists, to knock their socks off. It's not Coke vs. Pepsi, it's Ferrari vs. everyone else in the big-money exotic car market. Fred

13. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    To play the other side a bit (and I preface that I do understand your position and relate to what you are feeling), the cars cited are evolutions upon the prior model as they are all Dino derivatives, with some of the models sharing the same styling cues.

The 348 and Testarossa = visual variants of each other

246, 308, 328, those are all Dino body and engine variants, up to the 360 (in engine).

again, the progression: 348, 355 = virtually the same car in appearance, sister cars

IMHO the 360 began the contemporary shape of the rear/mid V8 Ferrari, with the 360, 430, Enzo/FXX, and now the 458 being in the same general neighborhood of "shape."

we can go backwards now: look at the 250 GT series including all of it's variants that share the same engine and basic general shape and/or borrowed design cues among the line of them (I believe the 250GT series has been the longest running Ferrari series to date, if my memory is correct).

I think what you are saying, though, is we need to see a Ferrari that redefines an iconic shape and form along the lines of the 288 GTO/3x8 series (which the F40 is directly related to), most often identified as the penultimate "now that is a Ferrari" shape.

You don't see that happening here in the 458. I can see why you don't. It's no F40, it's not a GTO, it doesn't seem to redefine or revisit the unquestionable wow factor, the jaw-dropping "that blows me away" kind of experience upon seeing it. But it almost does.

They tried to break out in the recent past with the Enzo, but in my opinion failed. It has it's legion of global fans, but honestly it's design doesn't recapture what you are trying to find.

What you want is an instant-on, no compromises, sit on the couch finally to relax "WOW HOLY ****" and you don't see that when looking at this car.

I almost do, though.

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #214 MalibuGuy, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    I think that the style change for the 458 is somewhat predictable and logical. The 430 style change was to increase the size of the air intakes and add larger slots vents with a more angular shapes compared to the 360.

The natural style change to follow would be a more fluid form with less prominent intakes and vents and slots.

Sort of like what fashion designers do from season to season. Go from fitted to looser fitting. Helps to motivate people to buy what's new because suddenly what they own is now out of style.

15. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Exactly.

The 328 was the evolution of the 308 as the 355 was the evolution of the 348. No problems there. But then when the 355 begot the 360 it was a DRAMATIC change (regardless of if one likes the change or not). I wanted a dramatic change as we went from the 360/430 to the NEW 458 italia. Instead we got another evolutionary change...IMHO.

Lets look at the 308...it was like nothing else at the time. Lets look at the TR...like nothing else at the time. What happened to that concept ? What happened to Ferrari blazing its own trails and taking design risks ?

Yes the 348 had TR styling elements BUT it was a big change from the 328 it replaced...the 458 is not that great a change from a 430...at least not comparatively speaking.

I hate to say it but at least Lambo takes risks...like em or not. Lambo pushes design and the Murci and G cannot be mistaken for anything else but a Lambo. I dont feel Ferrari can say that anymore.

16. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I wonder if recessionary trends affect designs. In other words, even as the wealthy continue buying, would it not follow that greater risk-taking with dramatic design changes would pose greater chance of rejection? This creates a sort of 'walking on eggshells" design approach, to not upset the applecart too much.

They departed the safe trail, knowingly, with the Enzo, but it gets away with it because they only made 400 of them (I think) and it is a gotta-have-it supercar. Enough people love it to offset the ones who don't like it.

However, the Italia has an incredible presence in candid appearance. Have you seen the recent spy vids and pics of it? It's a great looking machine.

17. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ah but Im not criticizing the 458 as being unattractive.. Im going deeper with that into why its not groundbreaking like a 308 or TR.

Enzo is another great example...I dont like it but at least it was unique. I appreciate that in a car.

I dont think its a recessionary thing...I think its a change in leadership at Ferrari. Its a far more conservative group there these days and they dont seem willing to take chances.

18. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    #218 jkddad, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I like it, I don't like it. An opinion is like a bu++hole, everyone has one and no one really wants to hear someone elses. If you like the car, buy it, if you don't like it, then don't. I'm getting one of these babies and be the envy of everyone. Either that or a rocket ship, can't make up my mind.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, I don´t think that the 308 was anything revolutionary, it was like a re-mix of a Berlinetta Boxer and a Dino. Of course, I love it anyway.

I fully disagree on this. Lamborghini is still selling something that Gandini made 40 years ago. It´s very spectacular and aggressive, yes, but nothing really new there: edgy, flat and with lot of weird air intakes. That´s not a bad thing "per se", but I wouldn´t call it "risky".

20. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You are correct in that I should be saying 365 BB instead of 308..as the 308 was an evolution of the 365 BB. My bad.

However I disagree with the Lambo comment...and Im not even a fan of the designs (I think the G is kind of ugly). Yes Lambo has retained the flat, edgy design sense for 40 some odd years BUT the G and the Murci dont look like ANYTHING else on the planet but....a Lambo. And the Murci is very very different looking than a Countach other than it retains the basic stance that personifies a Lambo. Which I think is a good thing. Brands need to retain some historical design elements. Part of my big problem with new Jags...not bad looking cars but they arent Jags.

21. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    +1000 Charliehorse
    Historic Ferrari design remains "a classic design".Today,they seem to have forgotten that.They give us "modern & consensual design" like if the Enzo was the only way.
    It s a lack of taste,but the most important for ferrari is the news emergents markets.This last don t have the Ferrari classis design culture.They just want up to date cars with a cavallino and a ufo appereance.It s a great change and i dont think this new concept of the myth represent it.But money talks...

22. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    This right here is VERY observant and something I havent heard anyone mention yet.

*New Money* cultures tend to not have any sense of restrained taste as far as design. China and the ME are absolute disasters as far as good taste and design go. They are cultures of excess and rarely appreciate anything subdued.

23. XP1LM

XP1LM Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Truong
    Great find! Thanks for sharing.

Finally some pics of the front and boy it does look good and aggresive. This car in black and red calipers would be a killer.

24. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    I think that you're absolutely correct.

You put the same variables into the windtunnel programme and you get the same outcome.

The skill is in making that outcome workable and desirable.