New Respect for the 718 | FerrariChat

New Respect for the 718

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Carnut, Mar 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    In case you did not know a little over a month ago I bought a nicely option base 2018 718 Cayman (gearshift car with 10K miles on it), and planned to use it as a track car. The car had a pretty high spec for a base 72k+ sticker, for some reason base cars don't seem to have sport chrono optioned in to often. Well I began the transformation (first had to unlock the ECU so it could be tuned) and so far I have tuned the car, installed new exhaust system, down pipe and new pedals (I just do not like rubber pedals). Even with the 20" wheels (the car was spec'd with those I am going down to lightweight 18's and new rubber) and questionable rubber this thing is pretty amazing. Keep in mind I have 3 other Porsche's (including my girlfriends PDK Cayman S which this thing is faster than), and I like this better than a GT4 (yup that's right and a GT4 owner and mechanic agrees), and considering I paid 52K and will spend about 7K modifying it, I'd say it is quite a bargain. I know it is a turbo 4 but who cares (I care about what it can do), and for anyone who doubts what I'm saying watch the ignition episode when a stock 718 Boxster S came within .02 seconds of the lap time of a GT4 (which had much better tires for track use).

2. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What year is gf Cayman s. Vs. Your 718?

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The blue one is mine (2018) gearshift car, the red one is hers a 2017 S PDK, that is totally stock. She will not let me mess with it.