488 - New spacers on 488 | FerrariChat

488 New spacers on 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by skyscorcher, Mar 8, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skyscorcher

skyscorcher Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Roberto Zanon
    Hello guys, I did some good research on the forum for spacers for my 488. I've read about 6 or 7 different threads about it and I learned quite a few stuff about it. I have my Ferrari here in Dubai, I guess I can find most of the available spacers here as well. The options I've found so far are:

Novitec:
    https://tagmotorsports.com/novitec-488-gtb-coupe-spider-spacers

Capristo:
    https://capristoexhaust.com/product/ferrari-458-488-ff-wheel-spacers-star-shape-14mm-front-17mm-rear/

H&R:
    http://www.hrsprings.com/products/detail/trak

Hill Engineering:
    https://www.hillengineering.co.uk/wheel-related/wheel-spacers

To my understanding all of them are of similar price except the Capristo ones that cost almost double.

My question is for the ones that have tried some of them, can you tell me what are the pros and cons to each one? Does the Capristo ones are that much better (or better at all) to justify the price difference? Which ones should I get. Also if there's a different brand out there that I've missed feel free to mention it.

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Get the Hill spacers and stay far away from the H&R spacers. The latter do not have steel inserts in them as all alu spacers should.

The other three ade all nice. There's nothing special about the Novi and Capristo that makes them better. The Hill spacers are first class and well proven.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. skyscorcher

skyscorcher Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Roberto Zanon
    Thanks a lot my man. Very good to know, your answer covers a lot. May I ask how do you know all that? Not questioning your opinion or anything:) Just curious to know. Cheers.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sure. It's just from personal experience. Many I've seen have had issues with the H&R spacers warping in the holes. Have also shown some of the spacers to a family member whom is a metallurgist. He did not know what was what, but he was most impressed with the quality of the Hill spacers.

To be fair, I'm generally not a fan of spacers. I think if they can be avoided, they should be. Don't forget that installing them and thus changing the offset, will also alter the geometry of your vehicle.One thing to keep in mind, is that you dramatically change the steering pivot point for instance. Also, you change how the suspension affects the car. Adding spacers or subtracting offset(same thing really), makes the suspension seem softer. A result is often more understeer, especially if you run a wide spacer in the rear. Additionally, you should remember that adding spacers also put more stain on your hub bearings as well as all the joints in the suspension.

SVR and bluesea like this.
  5. skyscorcher

skyscorcher Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Roberto Zanon
    Got you, thanks again my man. What you're saying is a nice sum up of all the threads I read in this forum the other day so now I have a better understanding of the whole "spacers" thing. OK I will opt in for the Hill or the Novitec ones then, whichever I can find easier here and then report back how it went ;)

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Post up some detailed photos when you get them installed , please...thanks!

7. skyscorcher

skyscorcher Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Roberto Zanon
    Hey man, so I contacted Hill Engineering and they asked if the 11mm spacers for the front and 15mm spacers on the rear with the 114 PCD will fit my 20 inch forged wheels. They believe they should fit but just doing a double check with you first since you're more experienced I guess.

Thanks

8. skyscorcher

skyscorcher Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Roberto Zanon
    Sure thing :)

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    11/15 will fit just fine and 114.3 is the correct PCD.
    Get rwo wheel hangers from them while you're at it. Installing spacers on CCM equipped cars without, is just asking for trouble.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. skyscorcher

skyscorcher Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Roberto Zanon
    Last question, do you know if the stock bolts 50mm (from under the head to the end of the thread) are the same for the forged 20" wheels as well? Because in Hill Engineering they ask me what length bolts I need for the 11/14mm setup.

Thanks man!

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes, they are the same. You will need longer bolts. Simply add the thickness of the spacer to the length of the bolt. In your case, 60 and 65 mm bolts should be fine.

If you want to "bling" it up a bit, you could ask Hill if they have a set of titanium bolts. They sometimes do, and they cost a fraction of what Ferrari charges - and the quality is better.

Did you order two wheel hangers?

12. skyscorcher

skyscorcher Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Roberto Zanon
    Thanks a lot my man, will ask for the titanium bolts as well but I'm not sure if the cost justifies the benefit. What do you think? I didn't order the hangers because I'll take the car in a shop to put the spacers on, so they have all the proper equipment, not doing it myself :rolleyes:

13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Bringing this back up to see if you did the spacers and if you could please post some photo's? thanks!

14. Ruffinit

Ruffinit Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Shir
    blkdiablo33, jcf, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  15. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    what about these?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/283827944027

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    blkdiablo33 and Senna2394 like this.
  17. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    will buy the hill

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  18. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    jcf, blkdiablo33, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  19. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    Looks perfect. I ordered the same :)
    How much did you pay to install the springs?

Did you do alignment with the spacers installed?

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Always align with the wheels and spacers you're going to run.

Melvok likes this.
  21. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
  22. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    The stance and ride height is perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Yes did alignment with spacers...rechecked at dealer on Thursday after we did a ride height adjustment of 3-5mm here and there. Purchased springs, install and alignment was around $4k little more...I’m no where near my receipt right now.

24. nickbains26

nickbains26 Rookie

May 16, 2019
    Bay Area, CA
    What size spacers?

25. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Hill Engineering 11mm front and 15mm rear ...this is today quick,iPhone picture keep in mind iphone distorts the photo slightly as you can see at rear wheel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login