New Speeding Laws for IL? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Speeding Laws for IL?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Daytona Rick, Mar 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    They can pick and choose as they please.
    Some will vent their frustrations on high performance cars,others hopefully on left lane bandit Priuses....

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #27 tifosi12, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm exercising my Miranda rights.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    :)

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    In any case, why speed in IL? The roads are flat and boring. When they are not, they are filled with potholes and slow minivans/suvs.

Go to WI/MI if you want to drive fast :)

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think they should fill the potholes with minivans and SUVs. Kill two birds with one stone.

6. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Well the potholes are getting bigger and bigger so maybe next year :D!

7. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL

8. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Is it true that if you and everyone else on the highway is speeding, but you are going 15 over, and everyone else is passing you at 20/25 over? Will cops stop you, the slow speeder, or go after the super speeders?

9. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    You can speed in Wisconsin as long as you don't have Illinois plates.
    They'll ticket you if you go 10mph over while Wisconsin plate cars pass you at 20 over...

11. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    On major roads it's usually the aggressive driver who's tailgating or jumping lanes that will get our attention.

12. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Oh, okay! So if a person is going 15/20 mph over, but staying in one lane, and someone's going 10 over, but weaving and tailgating, you'll pull the tailgater over, as opposed to the speeder?

13. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Fact of the matter is if you're speeding, you could possibly get pulled over.

Two tickets in one year is crazy, I must have a stack of tickets racked from from my High School and college days and it took a lot to get my license suspended (twice), although only to have that dropped after a couple of days thanks to a fantastic attorney who I found out about through..Fchat :)

14. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    fact.

15. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Kay.

16. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Neil (Badges2) and/or any lawyers present,
    Could you possibly offer a bit of clarification? I thought that the violation of traffic controls and particularly speed limits, were not treated as criminal offenses, but as infractions of statutes, thereby preventing the defendant from demanding a jury trial. Is this true?

And... now our crime-boss legislators, have changed these to criminal offenses, thereby allowing a defendant to exercise their constitutional right to a jury trial?

And... If only flagrant violations are considered criminal offenses (jury trial), is there not a legal (constitutional) conflict, in not allowing jury trials for lesser violations?

IMO, This could clog the court system in a HUGE way.

Regards,
    Bill

17. Son of Badges2

Son of Badges2 Karting

Jan 30, 2011
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Nathaniel
    A traffic ticket is technically, an arrest. If you look at a speeding ticket, you'll see that it reads "The People of the State of Illinois vs. Joe Speeder". It's a charging document. If you don't settle the case (go to court and take care of it, pay it, etc), it can end in a warrant for your arrest. In my particular town, we now charge our traffic violations under local ordinance, but you are still entitled to contest it either by judge or jury.

PS: Just noticed my son is logged in, so I'm answering this thru his account! Neil

18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I am seeing many more cops cars on the highway waiting for a speeder. I never used to see them on my way to work. I saw 3 this past week.

19. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    You have to realize though that when you see police on the side of the road it's not always for radar. There's a host of things they may be doing (truck enforcement, DUI detections, drug interdiction, etc.). If there has been a major crash in that area, it may also be targeted for heavy patrol.

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I see the same thing all over the NorthShore.
    Always hiding behind a tree,bridge ,building,anything that gives them cover.
    Always have the radar on or use the K-Band (instant on).
    Got pulled over 3 times last week (twice in Lake Forest,once in Northbrook) luckily knew all 3 guys very well so not write ups.

21. loudvette

loudvette Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    David
    Well Cheers to that! I don't know who is in this video nor who's brand new 458 it is but very related to this post :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W64sx6o0XZQ[/ame]

22. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    My daughter recently had the pleasure of a discussion with an Illinois state police officer. Something about speeding........well, she deserved it IMHO so it will be a learning experience for her.

23. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I'd call that "conspicuous". Busted yet?

24. lexluger

lexluger Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    i live in illinois my drivers license got suspended for a year ive only have had 2 tickets one for doing 57 in a 30 and the other one was 53 in a 40 why would they get suspended for a year iv tried to talk to he dmv but they wont tell me anything

25. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    How old are you? Illinois has a graduated driver program in which you can be suspended for 2 movers in a year (if you are a new driver). Have you had any tickets in another state? Illinois is a compact state (as are most) in which violations in other states will affect your Illinois DL. Also, you stated you had 2 previous speeders. Did you appear for all court dates? Did you pay all fees? Failure to do so will result in the suspension also.