New to McLaren world | FerrariChat

New to McLaren world

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by rocketman, Apr 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Long time Ferrari owner becoming disenchanted with the brand and its politics.
    Have owned both track versions and GT versions.
    Starting to consider moving over to the dark side.
    Considering the 720S coupe, spider and 675LT spider.
    Any suggestions as to which is most desirable as a weekend toy ?
    What, if anything, should I watch out for ?
    What sort of % discount should I expect ( new and used ) and which would offer the most bang for the buck at this time ? ( I understand 720 Spider will have to be new ) ?
    Thanks

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think the 720 is just a special car beating about everything else in its class. The only knock I've heard and kind of agree with is McLaren fights a "kit car" look at depreciation is terrible.

3. Bendrover

Bendrover Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    I just got one and I can say it is AWESOME! For me it's a top 3-5 sexiest car ever & scary fast! I'm coming from an 09' Scud that I had for 5 years and 12K miles. Loved the Scud and have been without an exotic for a few years.

I really can't see how anyone could complain about anything with the car. Perfect in every way. Literally would have to spend million plus to beat the performance and looks (for me at least).

I think you will be very pleased with the 720S.

Late

Gh21631, Night life and Rob Lay like this.
  4. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    So you both think that the 720S is the one to look at rather than the 675LT or 600LT ?
    Are they discounting new ones and, if so, by what % ?
    If buying a low mileage (< 1000 miles ) used 720S what sort of discount should be expected ?
    What are the "must have" options on the car ?
    Thanks

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The LT branding is equivalent to the Challenge Stradale, 430 Scuderia and 458 Speciale series Ferrari car's. Hence they are more coveted by driving enthusiasts, more desirable, faster, lower weight, lower sales and better appointed for going even faster and they handle a lot better. They also loose much less residual value vs the mainstream models. Depends on the kind of car you want to own... I know which style I prefer the best.

If you want lowest depreciation and fastest of that model series a car like the 675LT will be where my money is at vs say a 720 which is the current model and still has a long way to fall. Same thing for the 600LT except you have the choice of buying new. I think the 675LT being the first of the new series of LT cars will end up being worth a lot in the future... Just don't put too many miles on them, just like for the Ferrari's too. Easily the LT's are by far the most special cars and dripping with trick parts.

True, there isn't even a situation where the 720S isn't insanely quick but its also the quickest to shed value too. Perhaps if you do want a 720S car wait for the equivalent LT version which is due out soon I'm sure..

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think 600 will be the biggest depreciator out there % wise over the next 2 years.

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    720 depreciation is on par with Lambo and Ferrari.

8. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I have 600 LT and 720s. Had 675 LT (coupe and spider).

Which type of ferrari /porsched do you like (I can recommend based on that).

Also, do you have future plans on getting the limited cars from new?

9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  10. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Loved my Scuderia and now love my 488 Spider.
    Liked my Porsche Turbo S for speed and comfort but not involving enough and very boring to drive.
    ** I now have a bad back so I enjoy some softer "creature comforts" in my sports cars.

Thank you...beautiful car but disappointed how boring Mclaren interiors look when they are black monotone without even a splash of contrasting color in the stitching.
    Any experience working with this dealership ?

11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #11 SoCal to az, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2022
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I have zero experience with the dealership. I work with McLaren scottsdale and the guys are fantastic there.

With regards to the interior, you can do all black or you can get one with the performance package and have some contrasting leather in there. Mine has this and I love it.

12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #12 SoCal to az, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2022
  13. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Weird that it only has 250 miles and such a discount. Makes me wonder what problems might exist.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have both. Own a 488 and a 720. By every objective measure the 720 is better except for sound and build quality. And build quality is not bad but Ferrari has 70 years of manufacturing under their belt so the cars are built a touch better.

As far as sound- 488 is better but frankly I’m not one of these guys who all he cares about is sound. It’s just part of the package.

Power wise it’s not even close. The 720 blows the 488 away. The handling is better, it’s toghter, lighter more nimble. The carbon tub makes a big difference.

But im not a convert, just truthful. While the 720 in my opinion is a better car the 488 is no slouch. And I have a Pista coming in the fall to replace the 488 so I’m curious to see how the Pista racks up against the 720.

At the end of the day, I think Mac makes an incredible car and you would do well to add one to the garage. The 720 is just fantastic on every level.

openwyder and Rob Lay like this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Not sure what wrong if anything with the car. But it’s a damn good deal.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    [QUOTE="SoCal to az, post: 146348214,]

But im not a convert, just truthful. While the 720 in my opinion is a better car the 488 is no slouch. And I have a Pista coming in the fall to replace the 488 so I’m curious to see how the Pista racks up against the 720.[/QUOTE]

My dealer still hasn't hasn't come through for me. Congratulations on the allocation. I am a bit jealous now.

SoCal to az likes this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My dealer still hasn't hasn't come through for me. Congratulations on the allocation. I am a bit jealous now.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I don’t know how I got an allocation. I’ve been bugging them for years and I think they either felt sorry for me or got sick of my whining. Lol

aaronrgonz and Thecadster like this.
  19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
  20. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    Thought the same thing!

21. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
  22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yup..looks like when you click on the link, its sold

23. Fourwheeltrader

May 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fourwheeltrader
    If you are interested to see the numbers, I made a video in which I go over the depreciation per year and depreciation per 1000km driven for the 720s. You can check it out below. The depreciation for the 720 sits at EUR 23k per year and 3K per 1000km. Note that this is for the German market. To contrast this, the Ferrari 458 coupe sits at EUR 5k per year (for the second-hand cars only).

24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    This is quite the gestapo analysis!

At the end of the day, if you buy a new car and keep it a short period of time, you will get your butt handed to you. If you keep your cars a long time and enjoy them, you will get hit less from a use/enjoyment standpoint. It's a car and not exactly an investment. I do have to say that I have never lost money on a Ferrari and sometimes have actually made money. On the Mac side, my Track Pack car seems to holding value as there are very few cars available and all the asking prices are more than I paid for mine and since I plan to keep it for quite some time, it really won't matter.

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Good data for europeans but you can't compare an older used car to a newer. Of course it will lose less.