New to me 240 mile 458 - Right Screen Issue | FerrariChat

New to me 240 mile 458 - Right Screen Issue

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dan Hearl, Aug 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan Hearl

Dan Hearl Rookie

Jun 13, 2020
    OH
    Full Name:
    DH
    A P-car owner for the past few years, purchased my first Ferrari in recent weeks. A nicely spec'd 2012 458 with just 240 miles on the odometer. In the first couple weeks of ownership I added 400 more miles. Amazing someone had the car for 8 yrs and didn't drive it! From having posters of such cars adorning my bedroom walls in the 1980's and 90's to seeing them in my garage is surreal. The ownership experience hasn't been perfect, and the car is currently in the shop to diagnose and repair the right TFT dash screen. It 'bugs out' then turns off at start up but minutes later returns. I am including some pics of said issue along with other pics of the car. 2 yr Power Warranty from Ferrari was included and I'm quickly learning this warranty is a far cry from the Porsche CPO warranty I have on my GT3RS. However, the selling Ferrari dealership has been great to work with so far and has committed to making it right.

When the car was delivered to me I parked it in the garage right away. The following morning the battery was dead. I plugged the battery tender in overnight and the car started right up. The right TFT display began having issues followed by a suspension error message that disabled the 'Bumpy Road' road which is a MUST HAVE option on OH roads. The dealership had me disconnect and reconnect the negative side of the battery. This didn't solve the issues. The dealership towed the car to the shop and the day after they received it the battery was dead. They ran numerous tests and ended up replacing the battery. The TFT display issue and suspension errors seemed to go away and they tested the vehicle for any power draws on the battery and there were none. When they were loading the car back up to deliver back to me the TFT display began glitching again. This is where things stand at the moment.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue depicted with the right TFT dash display? Thank you and I'm looking forward to driving this car!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Robert Collins, xBox, ryalex and 2 others like this.
  2. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Congrats, and welcome to our little cult! A real beauty you have there.....

When was your battery last replaced? These cars are extremely battery sensitive, and the tenders don’t seem to help much. Mine started with weird messages, and I knew it was time to replace it.

That few miles on a 2012 is something you’re going to have to pay close attention to. After almost three years of ownership, I’ve concluded these cars don’t like to sit. If I were you, I’d have it out just about every day, and pounding some good mileage on it. I was kinda in a similar position (low mileage purchase), but mine’s got over 10k now, so I fixed that problem, LOL!

Good that you have a great dealer, and the sooner you get any problems identified and sorted out, the better.

LVP488 and Dan Hearl like this.
  3. Dan Hearl

Dan Hearl Rookie

Jun 13, 2020
    OH
    Full Name:
    DH
    Thanks for the welcome! The battery that was in the car was an Interstate battery that the dealership said was replaced just 10 months ago. Initial tests on the battery in recent days showed it was performing within spec - BUT - after the car died the day after arriving to the service department they tested again and it is faulty. The battery was replaced with new. They thought the display issue was resolved until it cropped up again soon after.

I should also mention that the selling Ferrari dealership did the multi-point inspections associated with the 2-yr Power Warranty. They also did did the following: oil/filter, brake fluid, gearbox fluid, coolant, power steering, spark plugs. The service is completely up to date.

And yes, the car will get driven!

FFan5 and of2worlds like this.
  4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Yup. Beyond this issue, I'd encourage you to put at least 5k miles on the car in the next 2 years. Hit 9000 RPMs a few hundred times. Maybe take it to a track day or two. Try and break it while you have the power warranty. Maybe get the front shocks to leak. Make sure the transmission is sorted, etc, etc.

Robert Collins and Dan Hearl like this.
  5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    It always amazes me to hear stories like this.....an 8 year old car, with less than 300 miles such a travesty that the seller never got to enjoy the car Its a machine meant to be driven....

So, lucky you!!

ryalex and Dan Hearl like this.
  6. socialpro1

socialpro1 Karting

Dec 6, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Congrats on a 'brand new' 458!! She looks gorgeous and I'm sure you will get all the kinks and quibbles out in the next few thousand miles. Please post more pictures and enjoy her to the maxx!!

Dan Hearl likes this.
  7. Dan Hearl

Dan Hearl Rookie

Jun 13, 2020
    OH
    Full Name:
    DH
    Agreed. Not sure how this happens unless the other auto options are superior but that's hard to believe! Even though the car had 240 miles it still had sticky buttons which were taken care of prior to delivery to me. The downside of a well-spec'd and very low mile 458 is the price. I paid a premium but like the idea of a no-stories car that I can feel good about driving.

KC360 FL and ryalex like this.
  8. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    A 240 mile Ferrari isn't a car it's a Bookend or a coffee table book. Whip that puppy and get some miles on her! Looks nice!

9. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What was the resolution to your screen issue? I’m having a similar problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

FYI u break it on track warranty is out of
    The window FYI

Dan Hearl likes this.
  11. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Dan Hearl likes this.
  12. Dan Hearl

Dan Hearl Rookie

Jun 13, 2020
    OH
    Full Name:
    DH
    The resolution was a very costly new gauge cluster from Ferrari. Selling dealership paid for the repair. If I'm not mistaken, the part was 6500usd. There may be places that will refurb or repair the TFT display only but that wasnt an option on the table for mine. Do you have a video or picture illustrating your display malfunctioning?

13. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Mine seems to have cleared itself up. I turned the car off, let it sit for an hour then came back and turned it on now the right display is fine!

Here is a photo of what it was doing before:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login