(New to me) USED 328 Ferrari - service shop recommendations | FerrariChat

(New to me) USED 328 Ferrari - service shop recommendations

Discussion in 'Texas' started by RodC328gts, Aug 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    #1 RodC328gts, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Howdy,

I plan to buy a used 328GTS Very soon.
    And need some recommendations of a good, trustable, place to to perform the major service. Belts, valves, water pump, etc.

I’ll have the car sent to Laredo. So the closest shop will be best. Maybe San Antonio.

thank you guys

2. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Steve Castillo in San Antonio. 2102406701

RodC328gts likes this.
  3. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Thanks.
    Does his shop has a name?

4. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    The name is Prova Motori. Its' just a one man shop. He used to be the head Ferrari Tech at the SA dealership. I would not trust my car to anyone but Steve. Very honest and his prices a very fair.

Bigilo and RodC328gts like this.
  5. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    thank you Mel. I’ll try to contact him. Couldn’t find any Prova Motori at the web.

6. GS Scott

GS Scott Rookie

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston North Shore
    Full Name:
    Scott R
    Hi Rod,
    Congratulations on your new 328!! I think you did well. The records indicate the "major" service at both 30k and 45k miles were completed/performed in 03 (as opposed to a "cam belt" service) but I didn't see a water pump replaced in any records which I believe is a replacement item in a major service. And the belts were changed in 2016. I believe the belts are recommended to be changed every 5 years (unless you put on the miles) so it's due for new belts. Some people who do their own belts, say they can go up to 7 years before replacing the belts, but the 3.2 has no clearance for the valves if the cam belts let go so why risk a very expensive repair to save a few dollars. FYI, I have a belt service coming up on my 86 328 and an estimate of $3,500 from a very reputable Ferrari shop back here in Boston for a ball park figure for comparison.

I can provide two independent shops with highly respected reputations, who will gladly spend some time with you on the phone if you have some questions.
    First is Tim Stanford Foreign Cars Inc, Ft Lauderdale FL (954) 764-7824, and
    David Feinberg, Sarasota Italian Garage, Brandenton FL (941) 315-8307
    David was VERY helpful BEFORE I purchased my 328 (and has done all of my service since owning the car), and Tim did the PPI.
    And of course, David Helm of CO (a member here) is another incredible resource.

I recommend that when you do drop the car off for a service, bring the maintenance records for the tech to review. Even though you own the car, it might be good to have him perform a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) so you know exactly what you have (compression readings, leak-down, rotor thickness, hose condition, paint work, driving impressions, etc.) I'm sure since you've done your research and actually pulled the trigger, you're well aware these are pretty bullet proof cars and engines, with very affordable maintenance requirements

Congratulations again - you're going to love your 328!!

Scott

RodC328gts likes this.
  7. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C

Thanks Scott,

I do appreciate your comments, and yes I plan to have a PPI to find the real status of items. As well, i plan on a major service, and change everything required. So I can enjoy the car without worrying.
    Im looking for service on the south texas area. In fact I already contacted Brian Crall's shop near Austin. Let's see what can be done.

Meanwhile to arrange the shipping details and payment

8. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    He doesn't have a web site. Ask some Ferrari owners in the San Antonio area. They all know him and will verify what I have said. Good luck, Mel

RodC328gts likes this.
  9. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Thank you Mel, I already sent a message. I hope this is his email, i got it from a 2017 post in here

Stephen Castillo
    Prova Motori
    11919 Jones Maltsberger
    San Antonio, TX 78216
    210-240-6701
    [email protected]

10. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    I will also take Houston or Dallas recommendations

11. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Is Broadwalk Ferrari a very good place to service my old 328?

DIGMAN52 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Speaking 1st hand, I can tell you we have at least half a dozen 3x8 in the shop at any given time. We offer reduced rates for FCA as well as Ferrari Chat members. We have made the investment, making sure that I want have the right equipment and training to perform the work correctly the first time.
    ( Yes, Ferrari Offers out of production training every few years ) One of my technicians has been working on 308/328 since they were new. Others have 15+ years hands on experience.

We have been working to break the Stereotype that Dealerships only work on new Ferrari and that we are “so expensive” .... ( Hint: we’re not )

There are alot of excellent options in Texas for your Ferrari, several have already been listed here.

There are always cheaper shops, that will undercut the professional estimate provided to you. Cheaper is not always better. We get a lot of cars after someone tried to save money... find the one you feel most comfortable with, let us know how it goes!

Steve Fordham
    Service Director
    Boardwalk Ferrari / Maserati

p.s. I would have Brian Crall work on my 308 if I were down in your area.

DIGMAN52 and RodC328gts like this.
  13. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Thank you Steve. I appreciate your comments and the interest to post in this forum.
    Ill PM you

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  14. GS Scott

GS Scott Rookie

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston North Shore
    Full Name:
    Scott R
    No, I can't help you with service in TX, but honest, brilliant F car techs - both Tim and David can be helpful if you have questions. And David Helms is probably the very top F car expert in the US.

Between Brian and Steve, looks like you should be in good hands.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    You have a 308? ;)

OP, you have all the info you need!

16. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran