New to the brand with my 1989 Mondial T coupé | FerrariChat

New to the brand with my 1989 Mondial T coupé

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rflan, Jan 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rflan

rflan Rookie

Nov 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Flannery
  2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Sweet! You will be smiling when you close the garage door and enjoy even it more when open it! Congratulations and safe miles!

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  5. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Congratulations, Robert. Nice car with only 30K miles...enjoy it.

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Banned Paul ?! Early 1e of april joke, right ?

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    oh wow! and OH MY! For what, if so? I can hardly believe it..!

8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Very nice and very rare! Hold on to it.

9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Doesn’t he spend all day in the politics and religion forum? I guessing something to do with that.

10. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
  11. Norseman

Norseman Rookie

Nov 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben B
    Coupes are cool - congrats and enjoy!

12. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Welcome to the brotherhood! You will find the most courteous and helpful Ferrari owners within this group. Enjoy!

13. rflan

rflan Rookie

Nov 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Flannery
    Thanks for all the support folks! Can't wait to get that belt done and start enjoying it! Also to make room for this guy if anybody is interested in a C32 AMG I'll be selling one soon!

14. claus.stetter

claus.stetter Rookie

Jul 10, 2015
    Los Gatos
  15. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Congrats!! Great low mileage.

Depending on when you had the last belt service, you are probably ok to drive REASONABLY. I had at least 7 years on my last service and the belt didn't look bad at all. Did about 10-12k miles.

And "while you are in there", recommend a water pump. A few options, you can go through some discussions on the board.

Regards,
    Jerry

16. Tom999w

Tom999w Rookie

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congratulations and welcome. Don't let the neighsayers discourage you. The people who talk negative about these cars are the ones who have never owned and enjoyed one.

Every time I take mine out it provides exhilaration that few other cars can. In addition, everywhere you go you'll be treated like a Hollywood star, with people gathering around and taking pictures.

Mine doesn't get out much lately, but when it does it gets the first space at valet parking, and also the front row at the exotic car shows.

This car is every inch a true Ferrari.

JLF likes this.
  17. Tom999w

Tom999w Rookie

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Also, please apply correct grammar and syntax to your posts, it makes them easier to read.

18. rflan

rflan Rookie

Nov 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Flannery
    Thanks Jerry, the belt was done recently mileage wise…. But more like 10 years ago. My local Ferrari mechanic said I could get away with 7ish years as long as the car was driven with regularity but I can’t confirm that. I will certainly look up some other “while you’re in there” service items since I intend on driving the car fairly regularly.

19. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    7 years or so is my take also, based on my usage ( I think my belt would have easily gone 10 years based on mileage, but I didn't want to be the test case if I didn't have to1 :) ).
    I try to use the car somewhat regularly, get complete heat cycle when I do. But I do not put a lot of miles on her. She is a weekend treat.

As I noted, I had AT LEAST 7 years on the belt, and time did not affect belt deterioration as much as you would believe from reading a lot of (older) posts on here. I think the worst thing for the car is to just let it sit.

With the belt service I did water pump and replaced the AC compressor (among other things) "while I was in there". After a few miles to make sure all is done correctly, and proper warm up, don't be afraid for some engine revs. Very sweet sound and the car, being relatively light and pretty stiffly geared, is a lot quicker than you might expect.

Enjoy!!

Regards,
    Jerry

20. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    It's definitely a true Ferrari in all the best senses. And, I agree.... I am still surprised at the amount of attention the car receives.