New tyres what would you do | FerrariChat

New tyres what would you do

Discussion in '360/430' started by Themaven, Jan 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I put four new P Zeros on my gated 430 Spider when I bought the car in early 2015. They are all in good condition, no damage, plenty of tread left. They don't feel overly hard - the car is in the garage when it's not being driven.

Date stamps on the tyres are mid-2014, so they will be five years old by the time I use the car this summer.

I plan to replace them next time round with a set of Michelin PS4Ss, which are better tyres.

Not sure whether I should swap out this year, or hold on for next. Does anyone here swap tyres with plenty of tread and no damage when they are five years old? Would you just keep the Pirellis til they wear noticeably? Opinions welcome!

2. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    Can you afford the Michelins now? If so do it, they're worth it.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Xtreme5053 likes this.
  3. stu

stu Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Unless you are tracking the car, I wouldn't worry. Tires last a long time if kept inside and cool. Drive that thing and use them up!!

Manda racing likes this.
  4. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Yes, when I bought my car in 2017, it had tires from 2007 with near perfect tread wear.

5 year old tires are ok by me on a daily driven car. Pushing the car to its limit, driving in abnormal road conditions (rain snow mud gravel track) then no. I wouldn't be afraid to leave them on the 430 another year where I live. You can replace them with michelin ps4 and either keep the tire for spare or sell them dirt cheap to someone looking to burn rubber or make donuts

5. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    When I replaced my P Zeros after 7 years with 4300 miles, it had plenty of tread left and tires looked perfectly fine.

But when the mechanic removed the tires, the bead started cracking.
    Don't know about 5 years, but definitely before 7!

6. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I think it's time to practice some massive drifting and tire smoking to get rid of all the tread left on the tire then replace them.

Walt Gamble and jcurry like this.
  7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    and then a new clutch as well;)

8. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    DCT can handle a lot more abuse than roasting some tires :D

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    OP said his car is gated. But yes, provided you go all in once you break the back loose you should not be riding the clutch.

10. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Oh missed that gated part, still roast em tho:)

11. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Treat your F430 to some new PS4Ss, she's earned them after 5 years!

Walt Gamble likes this.
  12. My AZFerrari

My AZFerrari Karting

Sep 16, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Sean Thompson
    If the tire tread is good I wouldn’t worry til closer to 7 years. 7 years I’d change no matter tread.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Another vote for roast ‘em-n- toast ‘em, then replace them.

Not often you can carelessly abuse tires... well every 5 years I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am exactly where you are and same tires! I have put 9K miles on them in the 5 1/2 years and they are still looking good.

Evad likes this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- In general, 6 years is as long as you should keep tires on a Ferrari or any other car. Many experts recommend a shorter life for Ferrari tires because they see higher cornering and braking forces than usual and spend most of their time sitting instead of rolling.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks everyone. It seems the five year mark splits opinions. With a slight victory for the change the tyres advocates. I think I'll probably get them changed, but my wallet will make that decision next month. If I do I will report back on the difference - it would be a PITA to do the change and not notice much difference in handling.

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    If you have a track date then replace. Otherwise no.

18. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    Walt Gamble likes this.
  19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you everyone for these replies. I finally got round to checking the dates (rather than trying to remember) on the Pirellis and surprisingly/annoyingly, the rears are 2015 dated (new when I bought the car) and the fronts are 2011. Lots of tread left on all.

Makes it even more of a conundrum. WWYD? I don't want to buy 2 Pirellis for the front when I plan to go for PS4Ss. But it seems criminal to chuck 2 good rear tyres for an all round change.

20. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    maybe the shop you buy new tires from may be willing to buy your tires off you or provide you with some sort of credit towards the new tires

21. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Considering the 2011 did not get heat / cold cycle on them till 2015 they would have more life than a true in-service tire from 2011

After reviewing all the info presented .. I may strongly consider another year or two before changing ..then change all

Of course that is if you don't track or push car to limits

The tire will show you age in cold mornings when you turn fast and the traction control lights up ..that is a sign they need to go

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

22. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    6 years is fairly standard. Tread life isn't the indicator here on these cars (outside the few that drive them a ton), it's more that you don't want cracking/rot. A few bucks now, could become several thousand (or your life) should you blow a tire.