NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 38 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lanpa8

lanpa8 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    Taiwan...any info you want to share via email with me :)

2. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #927 Jonathan19, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Please could someone say in the main line what he explains?

3. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    In a turbocharger system, turbine and compressor are physically coupled and mechanically dependent (have to spin at the same rate), while in Ferrari's patent they're completely separated and indipendent. Now, from what I've understood so far, the turbine, instead of moving the compressor wheel, will simply spin an electrical generator while the compressor, instead of being mechanically driven by the rotation of the turbine's wheel, will be operated by an electric motor, powered by batteries (charged by the turbine's generator). This provides benefits in terms of efficiency (no energy will bd wasted but harvested instead, when it's not needed), packaging (intake tract can be moved away from the rest, so It doesn't get heated up), sound (system can use juice to make the turbine spin faster or slower at will and produce more hi-pitch sounds or deeper ones).

Also, according to the Autoblog article I was checking yesterday, there's a third generator (not sure if crank or transmission mounted) that can receive some extra energy when the turbine can provide more than enough power to operate the compressor, energy that otherwise would be wasted. So more efficiency, but also more engine power.

4. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    ingegnere likes this.
  5. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Thank you very much,

I think that "Big brother" car is going to be an engineering marvel, redfining a lot of standarts in the automotive world... Can't wait

6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    For sure this car will be a drag race queen ( youngster on internet will be happy ) but tifosis are waiting more from ferrari
    which means a car full of emotions and not only a computer on wheels .

i hope ferrari will manage to do it.

day355 and crinoid like this.
  7. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Did ferrari ever disapoint at this ?

Don't worry. At all.

8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Que dieu vous écoute ! ( petite pensée pour Notre Dame au passage )

Jonathan19 and dcmetro like this.
  9. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

F140C likes this.
  10. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Thank you very much

Jonathan19 likes this.
  11. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thanks for the feedback!

Possibly AWD, but it's just speculation at the moment.

In the past years Ferrari redefined the standards for turbo engines and I'm sure they will keep raising the bar!

Fiorano doesn't look like a drag strip but I'm sure it will pretty fast around it if It wants to take the crown from the LaF. For the rest, technology evolves and that's a good thing.

You're welcome!

stavura, Doug23 and of2worlds like this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari have said that the cheaper V8 will focus on fun-to-drive and the BB on numbers (not just straightline performance, but laptimes too). Win-win!

polishhammer83 and of2worlds like this.
  13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Hope you are right , I'm confident too .
    I just have difficulties to see the global picture of this car ( Targa or both version , weight , 4WD , etc ...)

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Cheaper V8 ? you mean F8?

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Yeap.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I thought they had in mind the cheaper V6 tt hybrid (LB) was to be the fun car alongside BB

17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    with all the guessing about the BB look there are some actual design details from the past that hint at how the new design will look. All of these designs play a role in how the BB design evolved>
    First a little history about how Mr Manzoni has taken old designs and evolved them for a 'family' look to the various production models.

The FF design later evolved into the GTC4Lusso style >

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The GTC4Lusso >

then the Portofino evolved the California look>

plus the 812 - with all these designs sharing a similar face >

while these were front engine designs they show how Mr Manzoni will develop a new design.

when the engine is behind the driver things change but there is again a consistent evolution of the previous designs.
    starting with the 488 compared with the new F8

the more aggressive front for the F8 strongly hints at the design for BB to >

18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Indeed , more curvy design for BB ?

19. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    did it in february but was too ashamed of posting this.. i jut put emphasis on the roof-line ; tried to get a general idea what it would look like from the side.

20. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Thanks !
    Great effort but roof line is key and it's impossible to imagine what is really going on underneath.
    Maybe ingegnere will soon post an improved render with the precious help from ferr9000 ?

jamesdouglas1436 likes this.
  21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Hopefully without the "Aventador" boxes under the lights.

The "boxes", which are a real eye sore to me, look like they were necessary to keep the 488's bumper structure intact while trying to promote the more pointed nose as I expect the BB to have.

The issue of the boxes highlights the fact that you can't really use the previous models' evolutions - especially if these are facelifts to an existing platform - to predict a new clean-sheet design because with facelifts they're trying to give a different look to an old platform. Case in point, the 430 in no way predicted the look of 458. Just like F8 will not be a good indicator of the BB's look except probably the pointed nose and the more pronounced duck-tail rear.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Indeed, but that's a few years away.

23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Good effort Mahmud - thanks for sharing.

I don't think the crease(s) along the door will be anything but parallel to the side window opening which is basically straight and horizontal. Kind of like on the J50. Also, gauging off the Monza SP cars, design language seems to be heading for more linear/geometric rather than swoopy.

Also, like on the J50, I don't expect a quarter window and the flash of white shown on the test car (red arrows) indicates to me a roofline similar to J50, but maybe without the two roll hoops, as roughly sketched below.

All sketches and prognostications are based on publicly posted images and ideas are my own.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  25. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    Ingenere always does a fantastic job and is one of the most valuable contributors on here ( nailed the 812 exactly ... long before the public saw it) These renderings of the F173 however strike me as being too conservative. I say this because ferr9000 said it looks ‘like a spaceship’ which is another way of saying ultra futuristic and like something we have never seen before ( Manzoni actually based the design for LaFerrari on his vision of a swoopy streamlined futuristic spaceship ) my sense is that this rendering is an all too literal interpretation of visible contour lines from the camouflaged mule ... which may also be red herrings. This rendering also basically resembles a modern Pantera and I would be surprised if the end product was close to this. More radical ‘out of the box thinking’ and a chat with ferr9000 would be advised for the next iteration rendering ...

dcmetro and Shack like this.