NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 42 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    F8 will be replaced by LB .V6 TT hybrid.

BB twice the cost ...new platform.

Shack and dcmetro like this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The F8 is already the poor man's Pista ;) but the BB is on a totally different market ; worst case the Pista will become the poor man's BB but there is no such threat for the F8.

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This would be pretty hilarious given how many people were screaming about how Ferrari wouldn't go CF or doesn't need to go CF yada yada :rolleyes:

4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I don't agree. The 488 never was the poor man's Speciale nor was the 458 the poor man's Scud.

5. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    wrong because the 458 was much faster than the scuderia, and the 488 much faster than the speciale but the F8 is slower than a Pista....

snowboy458 likes this.
  6. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Doesn't matter. You can't compare a hardcore version to the next model.

ANd "Faster" doesn't mean much, many people will prefer a Speciale over a 488, sharper chassis, NA engine.

You compare apple with oranges.The F8 is not and will never be a pista's poor man

7. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    If this is true that’s literally pathetic.... I thought California’s law was already a joke at 95 db. Looks like I need to find a new hobby and a new motivating factor in my life because if all super cars are less than 64 dB in the future I have literally no desire whatsoever to buy one.

Gotta love how these people take up these ridiculous viewpoints just ruin the fun for those of us who work hard and are successful. I’m sorry you can’t find joy in your life and the only thing you can do with yourself is vote for laws that make you “feel good about yourself.” What a freaking joke this world is becoming....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SmokinV10, italiafan, OneD and 2 others like this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just by older ones - plenty of options to choose from between 1980 and 2019

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  9. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Man... we are just now realizing the huge diferences the auto industry and users will know very damn soon. Guys buy your NA spiders while you can ahah

I honestly dont know if someone will throw some rocks at me in 10 years when every car is electric and I go for a spirited sunday drive....

10. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    These are sad times.... I wish I was born 20 years earlier

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    ^ This. The BB will probably steal the spotlight will all the new technical innovations (possibly e-turbo and new DCT transmission, new interior and HUD etc.), but it will be a 600k, semi-hypercar. Since not everyone wants or can afford that, the F8 will still be relevant and won't be forgotten in my opinion.

So it's not the max overall limit, correct?

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1037 paulchua, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Comments I've seen never said Ferrari would never go to carbon fiber ever. If someone were to say (fill in any electronic TV manufacturer) doesn't need to go 8K today, don't interpret that as them saying they won't in perpetuity yada yada :rolleyes:

Doug23 likes this.
  13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Plenty of 1999 360s for sale, nothing stopping ya ;)

14. Vertix

Vertix Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    TBH I never get why everyones going so crazy over this.

The "carbon fiber" you're seeing in Mclarens and especially lambos etc is not the carbon you get in race cars/f1. Its quite the opposite.

Lambos prepreg resin carbon is a joke. Not that strong, not that light, adds stupid amounts of NVH and horridly expensive to repair/replace incase of an accident. It's almost as if you get all the downsides(and cost) and none of the upsides of CF.

Look at the kerb weight of the 720s (full carbon) and the pista (only select carbon panels): http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel6633-7218.htm
    720s 1526kg / Pista 1460kg. 720s has less flex etc, but all the other benefits of carbon fiber are completely negated with their current resin tech. Their new weaves with the speedtail are a solid step forward, whilst lambo keeps trying to make it cheaper with more cost cutting methods (like forged carbon).

Or you get things like BMWs CFRP, carbon fiber reinforced plastic. Its more marketing for people that have no idea that think its all legit carbon and pay stupid amounts of money for it.

Even worse is the new lambo SVJ. "carbon" everything, no door handles, doesnt even have a holder for the engine bay, yet has a kerb weight of 1856kg and the NVH from the chassis is aweful. Seems pretty silly to me.

There were articles back in 2011-2014 from Ferrari, stating that the current resin based technology needs to develop further before they see it as a better replacement to aluminium. They predicted it would be about 2020 until the tech gets to the level they are happy with and we're seeing signs of this now with their materials matrix and new carbon/aluminium modular chassis.

An older but good article about some of these points can be found here, particularly around how the focus is on bonding materials to get away from welds, much like the aero/space industry: https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a7234/is-aluminum-not-carbon-fiber-the-car-material-of-the-future-ferrari-says-yes/

Needs more focus on the end result (weight/strength/flex etc) instead of just focusing on whether or not its 1 material or the other.

Doug23, daflk, MANDALAY and 12 others like this.
  15. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Dont worry about Mclaren, with the new CF factory not only the quality will go up but the prices down.

16. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #1041 day355, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    of2worlds likes this.
  17. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    For mes, yes, without soul...it s a fantastic and beautiful machine, but the V8 TT is too artificial in it s own conception...Moreover, the noise, not the sound is awful...

18. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Carbon or not, Ferrari is clearly aware of the extra weight:

"Hybridization will impact the weight of engines and therefore we will deploy new lightweight technologies to compensate this impact. Package efficiency will also be key to achieve a compact car that reduces weight and inertia"

Wait and see what happens before giving yourselves unnecessary headaches.

Caeruleus11 and stavura like this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Good summary off the issue.

It's funny how some people somehow believe that McLaren are the only ones with the "secret" recipe to make CF chassis and the others are nor doing it because they can't rather than they choose not to for tradeoffs that have to be made and listed by you.

Specifically about the 720S and its high rigidity, I would propose that a large portion of that comes from having door sills that are higher than the seating surface - like climbing into a bathtub. Is that a desired layout for the target buyer, i.e., not necessarily young millionaires?

Also noticeable on this pic is the SMC version of CF (in the door jams) that not only looks worse (if that's possible) than forged CF but proves that Mac go out of their way to use CF as a marketing gimmick. The exposed surfaces around the doors would look much better if they were just painted rather than have these add-on bits attached that just add weight.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Beg to differ.

21. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    This is so stupid, they force real cars bellow the 68bd threshold and the electric ones can’t be silent and must produce noise....
    Way to go dumbasses!

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    The EV's need noise to make pedestrians aware of their presence It's a safety thing and very necessary

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    maybe it has been already written somewhere here many times, but it's official: The hybrid V8 new mid engine model will replace the 812. Finally: Ferrari couldn't go on with a front engine flagship

ciao

ingegnere likes this.
  24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Really then how come there's a 812 Spider coming :confused:

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    official from Flavio Manzoni, Ferrari design boss.

ciao