NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 6 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I am expecting great things from this car.
    Should be a game changer for Ferrari.
    Just need Mr Vettel and/or Mr Leclerc to do the business in 2019 as well and the guys from Maranello will have all the bragging rights again !

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    The super/hyper car game is changing with electric motors. Yes a car like a Konigsegg/Bugatti/Valkirye etc will always be special because of the attention to detail in making them super light and clever but the truth is, very soon any manufacturer will be able to make a CF chassis and put one electric engine in each wheel and just like that you have 1600kg and 2000hp!
    Any super car for any top brand.
    Im quite curious to know what will be the diference between such near future cars and how companies that still bet in ICE engines will react. I'm guessing just the looks ahah!
    Ferrari needs to price this right otherwise customers will just buy an electric car that's cheaper and much faster.

The future is really amazing! I will stay in the fence to see which company emerges as champion. I'm rooting for Ferrari but the others are kicking some serious ass.
    For sound and passion I have my 458 Spider. For my next car I want something thats so fast I'm even afraid to floor it!

wrs and F2003-GA like this.
  3. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Then expect a bill of millions , you are prepared. My point was not about the ability to beat a previous model performance, that is normal, but the price points. You are not going to have the most extreme performance Ferrari ever (at launch) for 600 k. some are suggesting you are going together all of this performance for 600k, it is not going to happen. Ferrari have a price gap at the 750 to 1 m that others, like MCL with the Senna have exploited (price point not application)

of2worlds likes this.
  4. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was talking price point. there is a market at 750 to 1,2 m usd Ferrari are missing. Never said it won't surpass LaF it will, was explaining the positioning as halo. Will be a bargain at those prices. Senna was used as an example of a price point where Ferrari have no offer, agree Speedtail is the current target.

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The figures of the Valkyrie and the new Koenigsegg Jesko are otherworldy and surely more impressive feats than just putting 4, off the shelf, electric motors in a random chassis. Also, there is the significant matter of ICE musicality and the interaction with an actual fire breathing contraption; I can only imagine what that Cosworth V12 will feel like at 11,000 RPM...

Regarding the BB, it won't be on the level of the Valkyrie/Jesko/One, we 'll have to wait for the next LaFerrari for that, but it should be a great supercar for 1/3rd of the money.

6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    The specs for the Rimac C_Two and Pininfarina Battista are ridic, 1900 HP and 1700 lb torque. Sure they may sound like my Dyson vacuum but the performance and technology is otherworldly. It is an exciting time for all exotic car manufacturers and competition always improves the end product for the consumer.

For sound and passion I have my 580-2.

Right now you can get a car that is so fast you'll be afraid to floor it, the GT2 RS. Only problem is it looks like a Beetle:D

Agreed.

tekaefixe likes this.
  7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Seems folks are confused with the Ferrari nomenclature and thus making some strange justifications for price points. There is only one halo car for Ferrari and right now its the LaF. The BB is to be below it and can certainly be faster than it since its normal over time for top production cars to exceed halo performance. But you can't set the price of a production car off its performance compared to an old halo. The LaF cost what it did/does because it represents the pinnacle and most selectively allocated of the brand. Being allocated a halo really says more about you than it does the car so the asking price becomes almost irrelevant and certainly should not be used as a metric for production car pricing.

It is interesting when the changeover to full electric ultra performance with its massive power/torque come into play. It is not easy to make a 4-motor vectored torque battery powered hyper car. Although, one company who is a leader in the controller technology of such a configuration has been teaming with exotics and marketing licenses for years. You also really need a completely new, lightweight and ultra strong chassis and the braking system is greatly assisted by reversing current to the drive wheels independently using an array of sensors and the electronic controllers. Cooling of these new drive components and the batteries are also key to sustained performance and acceptable reliability. Not sure if those cars belong on the street with crappy commuter boxes so would need to keep an eye on regulations. While this is occurring, you can be sure the ICE-hybrid will continue to advance for quite some time. My thoughts anyway.

Lukeylikey and F2003-GA like this.
  8. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    So are you saying if Ferrari put some electric motors on a Pista and made it 1.85 seconds faster around Fiorano you would pay more than 300k extra for it? Because from a powerplant and performance and lap time perspective ... that IS exactly what you're saying ... because that is all it would take to get a Pista around Fiorano faster than LaF... electric motors and 1.85 seconds.
    That's what you're saying everyone should be prepared to pay more than 300k over a Pista for?

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't think you read my post or maybe linked it by mistake? I'm saying what I said: "..its normal over time for top production cars to exceed halo performance." It will happen without coming anywhere close to the cost of a halo car which is its own category and "certainly should not be used as a metric for production car pricing". So the answer to your question is no. Also, ICE-hybrid will be around a long time and putting "some electric motors on a Pista" as you reference is not going to happen. The BB will be turbo ICE hybrid and its the halo LaF replacements over time that will have 4-electric motors with torque vectoring and no ICE. One is mass production, the other the most exclusive allocation - nothing to do with each other.

Roland1688, wrs and tekaefixe like this.
  10. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    Sorry was responding to other posting quoted above. Included yours by mistake. You and I are actually on the same page. Best

wrs, F2003-GA and Solid State like this.
  11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Truly believe there is a market for a 800 k€ supercar.
    Price won't be the key factor .
    Complexity of building hybrid powertrain is .
    I guess it takes more time to make a hybrid powertrain than a classical one , so BB even in a normal range will in the end be a limited range .

montpellier likes this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I think that the V12 will live on in LF's successor. All the other big players are keeping the ICE alive. Start ups just try to do something different with these electric supercars.

13. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Do you think the Tesla Roadster 2.0 (whose prototype did 0-60 in 1.9sec and 1/4 miles in 8.8sec and whose price is $200K and which SHOULD be available in 2020) is going to knock ICE out?

14. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I am sure Ferrari is aware of this and must be thinking ahead. You have to think ahead of this.

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Agreed. The Ferrari NA V12 will likely be hybrid only. I do think most halos will get to all electric. Rimac has been doing 4 wheel electric on their own cars for a while and did the powertrain in the all electric Pininfarina Batista as well as the hybrid portion of the Aston Martin/Red Bull Valkyrie. The bespoke Cosworth NA V12 in the Valkyrie has +1000 hp and spins to 11,100 rpm. Was designed in 13 months and meets environmental requirements. I think Ferrari can do better. Good engine design video:

stavura, REALZEUS and gzachary like this.
  16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Valkyrie's engine is the epitome of hypercar engineering. Hopefully, LF's successor will follow the same path.

stavura and F2003-GA like this.
  17. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I am not sure there is a market for a 800k supercar that is NOT built in limited numbers
    The market above 500k is dominated by products that in some way shape or form are advertised as “scarce”. People make a substantial outlay, but that is accompanied by the prestige of buying something not many people can get their hands on and the chance of maintaining the value of their purchase (or even increasing)...
    if Ferrari launch at 500k I m sure they can sell it as a regular production model. At EUR 800k it will be hard work, especially when other limited products exist for similar money. Take a look at the the 003 Aston. Valkyrie looks, Carbon tub, futuristic interior, mega performance,500 to be made and £875k as far as I have been told. That is a million EUR more or less and available now
    I m sure BB will be great, but it needs to be positioned properly. Personally I would rather see a limited series, carbon tub, mini LaF looks, mega performance and 1mio EUR price tag. That will be a very successful car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Forza Scuderia and F2003-GA like this.
  18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #143 REALZEUS, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    The 003 is several years away. I like what Aston is doing; I regard the Valkyrie as the ultimate hypercar seen yet, but I think they are pulling a Dani Bahar-era Lotus scam. It 's one thing to unveil a prototype and a totally different thing to put it into production.

If Ferrari launches a supercar with McLaren Senna levels of performance, I wouldn 't put it past them to price it accordingly. It might not have a numbered production, but it won 't be prolific either.

arhimede and ingegnere like this.
  19. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    All Ferrari competitors are going CF chassis, even the baby Aston. Ferrari needs to wake up!
    And even a carbon cell is not enough anymore, the whole things need to be in carbon so the offset of the heave batteries isn’t too great.

Also, you see the level of detail and care to make new super cars light and Ferrari is nowhere near it.
    Just like a good friend of mine said once: in Ferrari you pay for three things, The name, The engine and the Shape.

This doesn’t cut it anymore....

Surfah likes this.
  20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Not to forget the latest seen mule at BOSCH in Germany … (hybrid testing imo)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bhh and ingegnere like this.
  21. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Co-sign. AMG One, Valkyrie true halo cars and F1 tech will trickle down to lesser cars in the line-up. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Seems like Ferrari is not adapting as quickly as other brands i.e. McLaren and exactly as you said it's not just horsepower but monocoque, chassis, etc where technology is progressing rapidly. F8 is a half-baked effort and if Ferrari is going to signficantly increase their prices as anticipated, the buying pool will shrink and become a lot more discerning with other attractive options at the $750K to 1.3 million USD price point.

tekaefixe and sampelligrino like this.
  22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #147 ingegnere, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Vanquish will be aluminum chassis V6 according to R&T, so like the expected Ferrari LB:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/geneva-auto-show/amp26630775/aston-martin-vanquish-vision-concept-debut-photos-specs-geneva-2019/

Also, if RB-003 is based on Valkyrie (which it most likely will be to reduce development costs) it will be basically a single seater with very high door sills and raised footbox with 2 seats squeezed in so basically track oriented and so hardly the basis for a long line of future street cars.

F140C likes this.
  23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Pretty sure texkaefixe is referencing the 003 which has been referenced by some as Valkyrie's baby brother. Right here in the article's title

The Aston Martin Valkyrie is getting a mid-engined baby brother

https://www.motor1.com/news/139007/aston-martin-mid-engined-supercar/

24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    RB-003 sounds like it'll be a slightly less limited edition of the Valkyrie so not really a production car. Probably still big money and with a V6 to reduce the cost of the racing Cosworth V12 of the Valkyrie.

25. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Only 50 slated for production, I agree it's pretty limited.;)

$1.3 million price tag is big money.

tekaefixe likes this.