New Window Cables: I GIVE UP!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Window Cables: I GIVE UP!!!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr Kananga, Aug 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Good luck. I'm hoping you meet with success. Makes me think my windows really aren't that slow as they are after all.

2. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    As does the 328.

3. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    :D +1 They always work for me. I'm never in that much of a hurry when driving the 308 that an extra 5 seconds hurts.

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Wait until they stop working.

5. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    QUESTION:
    Do the motors have a limited number of rotations in one direction? Do they turn say, 5 revolutions in one way or the other or do they keep turning when pressed up or down?

The reason I ask (and of course I have no clue), Can you spool up some cable, then run the other end through the pulley's and connect to the window and then just spool up the slack? Not sure why the length must be so spot on.

Good luck Dr K, I hope you get them working correctly.

6. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can the 328 window motor track be put into the 308?

Perhaps its time for me or someone else to find a cheap donor car and make a kit to retrofit say a miata/rx7/944/928/etc track and motor to the 308. I bet it would just require a specialty bracket on the glass end and a specialty bracket on the motor end. Machine in a top and bottom, and done. Sell it for $150/side.

BTW, the relay fix resolved my window speed issue. If I burn the motors out I'll deal with this crazy cable system then, or update to something modern.

7. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    #32 Hans, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. dhalter

dhalter Karting

Aug 2, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Hate to say this, but did you need to replace the cable? Did it break? One of the things I dont like about Birdman's tutorial is that step 1 (if I recall) was "cut the cable."
    I took mine apart (to fix the "grease hard as a rock" issue. I took copious notes, drew diagrams, did NOT cut the cable, and it was a PITA, but not impossible. My feeling is that installing a new cable unless it is broekn or frayed is an necessary task that multiplies the complexity of the job.
    The one thing I would say to do in this situation is connect the window to the cables LAST. I ran the cables (be very careful about how and where they cross over as already stated), then run the window switch up and down a bunch of times, ending at "window fully down." Then install the window, dropping it down onto the rubber bumpers. Connect the window to the cables. Then check it goes all the way up...

9. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    I guess I did not have to cut the cable.
    It was a bit frayed; seemed to have weak spots.

But, who knew it would be this much effort to get it back on!!!

You live and you learn...

10. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    It wont work that way. wind it 3 times around the spool so you have a cable that's too long and then run the motor while keeping tension on the cable.