New York state tax question..

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ric, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. Ric

    Ric Karting

    Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    NY state tax..

    I am a washington state resident but I have been working in new york for the past 11 months as a contractor.. I just got my federal tax done by a tax pro in washington state. Unfortunately, he didn't do state tax return so I have to do it myself.. I itemized on my federal tax return since I claimed moving/living expenses during my stay in new york. I just looked at the NY state tax form and its instructions to itemize for a part-year resident and it gave me a headache.

    Instead of using my federal tax to itemize on my state tax return, can I just use the NY state standard deduction and be done with it? Sure I will get a smaller return than if I itemize but I don't mind. I estimated the numbers and the difference isn't that much. Is it legal to do it? Can the NY tax officials access my federal return at the IRS and compare?

  2. To remove this ad click here.

Share This Page